Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-22-22, 12:19 PM  
cyana

What Have You Done to "Pimp" Your Work-Out/Yoga/Meditation Space

I've never had a dedicated work-out/yoga/meditation room despite being a home exerciser since the 1980's. In my previous house, I had a nice space in the corner of the great room where I had my weights and other equipment neatly arranged so the items were easy to pull out and put back during the work-outs. We've had several relatives (including elderly parents) live with us over the time we've been in our current house, so I haven't had as much flexibility in having a dedicated work-out space. Most of my gear is either in my bedroom closet or under my bed, and a bit of a pain to drag out and put away. Some years back, we had a thread where people described their work-out spaces and some even shared pictures - some were quite drool-worthy. Since this is a subject that only fellow VF-ers and fellow home exercisers would fully appreciate, I'd love to get some inspiration and ideas. Whether it's a dedicated room, dedicated corner of a room, and/or clever storage/organization ideas, please share what's working for you. Even things that perhaps didn't work out as well as you'd hoped are also welcome.

"I've decided to grow old disgracefully." - Twigs
cyana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-22, 12:25 PM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

I have a corner upstairs that I have shelves for dvds, weights, etc and have a large smart tv hooked up to my computer via HDMI. I love my big round mandala mat that I bought years ago since I mostly do barefoot workouts.

Now that I offer classes on Zoom, dh has tricked me out with some nice cedar room dividers and electronics so my Zoom participants can hear me and the music.

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 4---February 2017
Yoga Tune Up Roll Model Method Practitioner---December 2021

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-22, 12:49 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

I am fortunate to have my own space. I have an electric fireplace in one corner and a simple fold down desk attached to the wall. I have wall mounted barre made from a stair handrail & heavy duty shelf brackets. DH mounted a long 2X4 vertically to the wall with brackets to hang weights on. I have a 6’ round mat and a 3.5’x6.5’ mat as well. It has two big closets along one wall with mirrored doors. My Bellicon can hang in one closet on a wall mounted hook. I absolutely love my space! It is formerly a small garage that DH converted for me about 12 years ago. Occasionally it doubles as an extra bedroom if we have full house. I teach my classes there, just a small group of friends. I think there’s a picture in my profile.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-22, 07:07 AM  
dlb

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogapam View Post
It is formerly a small garage that DH converted for me about 12 years ago.
I've often thought about having a small garage built for that purpose. Our house is 100+ years old & my workout stuff is all over. The basement is unfinished but the height is only 7 foot, very limiting. My treadmill & bike are tucked away in corners in the living room.
dlb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-22, 07:20 AM  
sherry7899

Quote:
I am fortunate to have my own space. I have an electric fireplace in one corner and a simple fold down desk attached to the wall. I have wall mounted barre made from a stair handrail & heavy duty shelf brackets. DH mounted a long 2X4 vertically to the wall with brackets to hang weights on. I have a 6’ round mat and a 3.5’x6.5’ mat as well. It has two big closets along one wall with mirrored doors. My Bellicon can hang in one closet on a wall mounted hook. I absolutely love my space! It is formerly a small garage that DH converted for me about 12 years ago. Occasionally it doubles as an extra bedroom if we have full house. I teach my classes there, just a small group of friends. I think there’s a picture in my profile.
That sounds so lovely!

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-22, 09:55 AM  
cyana

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry7899 View Post
That sounds so lovely!
I agree!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieB View Post
I have a corner upstairs that I have shelves for dvds, weights, etc and have a large smart tv hooked up to my computer via HDMI. I love my big round mandala mat that I bought years ago since I mostly do barefoot workouts.

Now that I offer classes on Zoom, dh has tricked me out with some nice cedar room dividers and electronics so my Zoom participants can hear me and the music.
I love my Mandala mat but don't have anywhere I can leave it out. I really like your cedar room dividers. At some point, I may end up creating multiple work-out spaces and get some dividers to put in one corner of the den so I can hide some of my work-out gear. It isn't my preference to work-out there for a number of reasons, but I may have to bite the bullet.

Quote:
Pam - I love seeing all of those Half Moon yoga bolsters and the fireplace is a wonderful addition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlb View Post
I've often thought about having a small garage built for that purpose. Our house is 100+ years old & my workout stuff is all over. The basement is unfinished but the height is only 7 foot, very limiting. My treadmill & bike are tucked away in corners in the living room.
dlb - My house was built in 1957 and extensively remodeled with an addition around 2005 (by the previous owner), which included closing in the existing garage to create a new master suite. Fortunately, the master bedroom is fairly large, allowing me to keep my Bellicon and NordicTrack in there. I keep nagging DH to consider adding a new garage (for at least 10 years - at least I don't give up easily ), but so far that's falling on deaf ears. We don't have a basement, unfortunately.

"I've decided to grow old disgracefully." - Twigs
cyana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-22, 11:58 AM  
bee
VF Supporter

I am really lucky! Used to work out in the living room with weights left out all of the time. We had an entertainment center built with drawers heavy duty enough to hold my weights (though over time they took a beating). But, sometime in the last ten years (time is funny to think about these days!), we converted half of our barn into nice rooms. One is a "man cave" with couch and big TV, the other is workout room. The man cave never gets used anymore now that my kids are adults -- it was a place for them to hang out with their friends when they were in high school -- so I recently took over the big TV. So fun to have a big TV for the Cathe Live workouts -- I feel like I'm right there with them. I love my space. My sons have used it from time to time, but it's mostly my space.
Old 12-23-22, 02:26 PM  
warriorprincess

I have an amazing workout room that was designed from the beginning to be a dance/workout room since we had our house built 20 years ago.

I have some pedestals that open for storage that I used to keep dvds in, but now I keep massage balls and ankle weights and that sort of thing in them. I also have some decorative sconces that are supposed to hold curtains, but I use them to drape assortments of bands over.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
You're only 1 workout away from a good mood.
warriorprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-22, 02:59 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

I love reading about the space people use! I have a dedicated space that has my desk/computer/internet router/modem etc. and my workout equipment, DVDs and TV. It could be used as a bedroom, but we don't need it for that so it's ALL MINE HAHAHAHA! I need a sign that says "woman cave" on it as DH rarely does more than pass through it either going upstairs or downstairs. When we installed hardwood flooring a few years ago I rearranged everything and it looks much bigger and allows me more space to move around and do some of the "space hog workouts" that used to annoy me when I was making do with a small space in the living room.

yogapam, your space sounds wonderful!

Watula, Cheeto, Charli, Lux, Merlin, Rudy, Finley the Cat, Hobbes, Winston, and Finley the Dog Fan Girl!

Word of 2024: Patience
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-22, 09:06 PM  
Leonana

Everyone's workout space sounds nice!

I workout in my bedroom, and keep my weights under the bed. My step is in the closet, and other equipment in a big basket. I don't mind doing it that way, it's enough room for me. Although, I don't have room for a rebounder, treadmill or barre, so I'm limited in that respect. But it works for me.

Tags
meditation space, work-out space, workout rooms, workout space, yoga space