Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-08-22, 08:23 AM  
sheepla
VF Supporter

Dipping a toe back into Ashtanga practice (maybe)

I am not an advanced yogi (I'm not sure I'm even intermediate right now) but I have done quite a bit of yoga in the past. Lately I've been doing almost all yin but I'm thinking about dipping my toe back into Ashtanga yoga. I have never done the full primary series but use to go regularly to a 60 minute class that did essentially the salutations and standing portion of the practice.

Any advice how to start building up to this? Keeping in mind that for me, the building up part is the fun. I've come to realize that repetition (like Ashtanga or even Bikram (now 26+2) that does the same thing over and over) is what I enjoy the most. [I know some of you are shuddering at the very thought].

And yes, BTW, I think TIFTing is awesome in a workout.

I know the obvious answer to this question is Short Forms, which IMO is still arguably the best yoga dvd ever made. The challenge is that we are in a very small house right now while we wait to build next year so I don't have a tv/dvd set up so I am restricted mostly to youtube (plus I subscribe to Adriene's app). Any suggestions? My main worry is I don't want a routine to move too fast.

I know a live studio would be an answer but I live in a very rural area and would likely have to drive 75 miles each way to find a studio!
Old 12-08-22, 12:18 PM  
laurajhawk

I am not worthy . I’ve done the full primary series, a few times- my local yoga teacher leads it as a special class occasionally. But I’m not up to it as my regular practice!

That said, if you’re willing to work without video, I say go traditional! Get a poster of the series and start from the beginning, adding poses only as you master the previous pose. When you’re done with what you can do, jump to the finishing poses (apparently, and I just googled this, the finishing sequence starts with upward bow). You might need to modify finishing poses but do them anyway in some form to finish your practice.

That’s my understanding of how a classic ashtanga practice (Mysore practice) works, of course it would help to have a teacher present, but when you’re working on your next pose you could find videos on YouTube etc to help you get there. Good luck! Tell us how it goes!

"Don't say 'I can't' ... say 'I presently suck at this thing.'" - Matt Meese, BYU Divine Comedy
laurajhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-22, 12:24 PM  
prettyinpink

David Swenson has made his content digital and has streaming and purchase options on his site.

I also see that he has put his different Short Forms routines for free on YouTube. Very generous person.

I also agree with a Laura that working without a video is great. Many years ago when I did Ashtanga regularly, I started with classes and DVDs, and then on my own at home.
prettyinpink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-22, 12:42 PM  
sheepla
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by prettyinpink View Post
I also agree with a Laura that working without a video is great. Many years ago when I did Ashtanga regularly, I started with classes and DVDs, and then on my own at home.
I laughed at this because it literally didn't even enter my mind to do this without a video. But it seems so obvious when you both say it.

I'm off to look at some sample posters.

Tags
ashtanga yoga, david swenson, yoga