Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-16-22, 03:21 PM  
sherry7899

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori_Michigan View Post
I've switched now to 2-3 total body strength workouts (Cathe) a week with my highest of a 15 lb dumbbell. For years I did cardio at least every other day, and for many years it was more days per week than strength. Fast forward to perimenopause and numerous injuries. Switching to just strength and stretching (CS/Ess) with just walking occasionally has really been good for this stage in life. I've now lost 13 lbs and an entire pant size since September. I am not constantly injured, I'm not tired all the time, and I'm not ravenously hungry so I can maintain a calorie deficit but meet my macros. Now just 20 more lbs to go!
That is fantastic!

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-22, 03:52 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by adawn View Post
I added 5 of the tags. I love to tag threads for some weird reason.
I was reading this thread and wasn't going to post until I saw this - Dawn, I am a behind-the-scenes tagger too! I figure it helps everyone in the long run. I haven't done it in awhile; thanks for the reminder.

Sherry, I know you are more of a cardio person, so I'm interested to hear what you think about your new rotation. I have really come to de-emphasize cardio-only workouts in my rotation. I still do some (mainly boxing and kickboxing), but I find that I get plenty of cardio as part of my weight training (especially things like kettlebells) plus I enjoy it so much more.

As an interesting side note, I recently was playing around with the website Sequencing.com using my 23andme data. There is a free app called "Athletic Performance" that I tried. Here's what it said about me based on my genes:

Quote:
Your genes indicate that you are more likely to excel in sports requiring physical power and strength. These activities include:
 Five to ten minutes intervals of intense exercise on cardio equipment
 Resistance and weight training
 Short distance running sprints and swimming
 Soccer, volleyball, and tennis
 Gymnastics and wrestling
 Boxing
 Archery
 Downhill skiing
Based on your genes, you are less likely to excel at sports that require endurance. These activities usually involve low to medium physical exertion and last longer than 20 minutes without a rest. They may include
 Using cardio equipment, such as the elliptical, treadmill, Stairmaster, or rowing machine for longer than 20 minutes without a rest
 Running and long-distance swimming
 Rowing, kayaking, and canoeing
 Hiking, mountaineering, and cross-country skiing
This was SO validating to me - I have always preferred strength work to cardio! When I trained for my first (and only!) 5k back in 2005, people kept telling me that I was going to love running - umm, NOT!!! I'm glad I did it, but I did not take to it AT ALL. I enjoy swimming but hated swim lessons as a child b/c we had to do laps (endurance). I did used to use cardio equipment when I was in grad school, but more because I thought I "had" to - I never enjoyed it. I like kayaking or hiking for fun, but not as an endurance sport.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-22, 08:27 PM  
wendug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori_Michigan View Post
I've switched now to 2-3 total body strength workouts (Cathe) a week with my highest of a 15 lb dumbbell. For years I did cardio at least every other day, and for many years it was more days per week than strength. Fast forward to perimenopause and numerous injuries. Switching to just strength and stretching (CS/Ess) with just walking occasionally has really been good for this stage in life. I've now lost 13 lbs and an entire pant size since September. I am not constantly injured, I'm not tired all the time, and I'm not ravenously hungry so I can maintain a calorie deficit but meet my macros. Now just 20 more lbs to go!
Lori- I am so happy to hear you have found something that is working for you! I've read your posts about struggling with perimenopause, weight gain and injuries along with you trying all sorts of things. I knew you would find a solution. Keep up the good work!
Old 01-16-22, 09:23 PM  
Venus

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendug View Post
Lori- I am so happy to hear you have found something that is working for you! I've read your posts about struggling with perimenopause, weight gain and injuries along with you trying all sorts of things. I knew you would find a solution. Keep up the good work!
Same here! I remember reading your posts, too, Lori. I didn't have any advice to offer but hoped you would find a solution. I am happy your current routine is working so well for you!
Venus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-22, 09:29 PM  
Venus

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry7899 View Post
I will keep going and post updates after I've done at least four weeks. I had started other Team Body Project rotations and not finished them. To be honest, I am horrible about sticking with rotations, but I hope to actually complete this one even though it will take longer.

Sherry
I am also attempting to do more strength workouts. I look forward to hearing about your results!
Venus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-22, 07:45 AM  
Rhonda

I am also going for more strength.

Right now I am going to do something like this using KCM's newest workouts:

Monday - Cardio Fit workout 1 (boxing/lower body)
Tuesday - Power Splits Upper body
Wed - Cardio Fit workout 2 (Hi/Lo, compound moves)
Thurs - Power Splits Lower Body
Friday - heavy bag/boxing/kickboxing
Sat - walk/jog/run
Sun - hike/walk

M-F will add in walk/hike when I have time.

I was in a group on Peloton that I was following, and doing much more higher intensity bootcamps, treadmill work and my knees/feet have started to hurt more, so figured after a few months of this and really no results, and it seemed like they were all in competition with each other trying to do better than the other on the leaderboard (which I don't have because I am an app user), I decided I needed to leave that group and go back to KCM and Peloton but doing what I like.

Here is to more strength.
Rhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-22, 09:20 AM  
Lori_Michigan

Thanks to all! It was clearly everything that I was doing that no longer worked anymore. Now at nearly 50, for me, it's all proper balanced nutrition and very little about workouts for weight loss. I failed to realize that too late and now am riddled with injuries that won't heal. (Exhibit A: I'm sitting here with an ice pack on an old pulled abdominal muscle injury that I just reinjured while attempting to clean the shower...)
Lori_Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-22, 11:36 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Beth, that's fascinating data, thanks for sharing.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-22, 11:38 AM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat58 View Post
Beth, that's fascinating data, thanks for sharing.
It was fun to see!

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-22, 11:52 AM  
hedygs
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry7899 View Post
I joined Team Body Project and just started the "Warrior" plan, which emphasizes strength with a little boxing. I will modify/tailor it to my needs which may mean taking extra rest days as needed.

Sherry
Sherry I also just joined. I am going to finish the KickStart second week and then was thinking of the warrior plan. Boxing is my favorite form of cardio ever. I’ll be about a week behind you so I’ll be interested to read what you think.

��
hedygs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cardio vs weights, kcm power splits, no cardio, results, strength building, strength focus, strength training, warrior plan, weights only, weights vs cardio