Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-13-21, 04:39 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane P. View Post
Maybe with Cathe's eye issue, she has been told to lay off heavy weights. Don't know for sure, of course, just a guess.
I seem to recall reading a post from a virtual road trip attendee that she was being very cautious with heavy weights/impact due to her eye issue. It seems that she has been listening to comments and plans to do some "specialty" type Lives that include some heavier lifting along with yoga/mobility work. She's already done one of the yoga/mobility ones which I've done and liked. I'm glad to see something like this as there are a whole.lot. of metabolic workouts on Live that aren't much different from one another.

I'm discovering that my tolerance for workout music is highly dependent on whether the instructor's cues are verbal or non verbal (like Caroline G, Heather R and growingannanas). Cathe's music is mostly just background for me since I'm focused on verbal cues, and sometimes I don't really notice it at all, particularly in the weight workouts that aren't as dependent on a beat. Personally I would stab myself rather than listen to the Caroline/Heather/Anna workout music for a rotation that lasted longer than a couple of days even though I really enjoy the movements and get a lot out of their exercise routines. **sigh** so I don't think I could ever complete one of Caroline's Epic programs even though I really like her workouts. I love my variety, and don't care to repeat the same style of music often so I prefer to rotate among Cathe, Chris Dorner, Aquajade, Kat Gates, Caroline/Heather/Anna (their music is similar so I group them together), and random others. That way I don't get bored or annoyed by any of their music choices. This is what works for me, YMMV!!

gigi, don't know if you've ever tried Kat Gates Buettner, but she uses some fun music mixes (IMHO) that she creates on her own. She does primarily step but also some rebounding if you are into that.

Watula, Cheeto, Charli, Lux, Merlin, Rudy, Finley the Cat, Hobbes, Winston, and Finley the Dog Fan Girl!

Word of 2024: Patience
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-21, 09:50 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

cataddict, I know exactly what you mean about Cathe's being background music and those you tubers have it as mostly the only sound. I say that because I have many times thought about muting them and playing my own music, but.... I need to hear the beep for when the moves change. It is such a bummer but in all of their workouts I know there are moves where I can't always be looking at the screen so wouldn't know when to change. It is much easier to tolerate some of that workout music when it's just in the background.
Old 11-13-21, 10:06 PM  
Lori_Michigan

I guess I'm in the minority because I really like the metabolic workouts and her music! I can't lift heavy so for me those are the most I can do. I also like the cardio drills since she gives lower impact options and I don't have to come up an alternative on the fly.
Lori_Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-21, 10:56 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

Lori, I don't want to speak for anyone else, but I like Cathe's metabolic workouts and music too. I just would like to see some additional variety in the workouts themselves, which she seems to be doing now with the yoga/mobility one for example. Her music was always fine with me.

bee, yeah I was thinking about using my own music for some of the Youtubers, but I need the timer beeps too. Oh well.

Watula, Cheeto, Charli, Lux, Merlin, Rudy, Finley the Cat, Hobbes, Winston, and Finley the Dog Fan Girl!

Word of 2024: Patience
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-21, 02:00 PM  
Paula N
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cataddict View Post
Personally I would stab myself rather than listen to the Caroline/Heather/Anna workout music for a rotation that lasted longer than a couple of days even though I really enjoy the movements and get a lot out of their exercise routines. **sigh** so I don't think I could ever complete one of Caroline's Epic programs even though I really like her workouts.
I just finished Caroline's EPIC III today, and I agree completely with your comments about the music. Great moves, but it got to the point that the music was like nails on a chalkboard for me, particularly since she does not talk during the workout. I really hate that closing music - I lunge to shut off the video as that finishing music is playing. I missed my variety and am not sure I will ever complete another rotation again.

I attended Cathe's virtual road trip, and I recall her saying she had just gotten clearance to lift very heavy weight the week before. She still has some lingering issues with 'debris' in her eye that affects her depth perception, and that is why she is not doing more intricate step workouts yet. I think she mentioned one more upcoming procedure before she can start filming her new series.

Someone asked Cathe about the music in her videos and streaming, and she expressed strong displeasure about not being able to use better music like in her older workouts. Apparently there have been changes in copyright etc rules. It sounds like she has (or had) a music/sound guy on her team who takes care of all of that and actually searches out available music - apparently he was the one who found that 'A Little Less Conversation' was available to use at the time.

I love the music on Kat Gates-Buettner's workouts, Every once in a while, she will use royalty free music so that she can use that video to promote her channel, and she always explains that she has other videos that have much better music. I don't pretend to know all the YouTube rules about that sort of thing.

Steve SanSouice and Mynd Fitness are two other channels with mostly decent music for step (as far as that type of music goes).

No dress rehearsal. This is our life.
Paula N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-21, 03:16 PM  
ebianco
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paula N View Post
I just finished Caroline's EPIC III today, and I agree completely with your comments about the music. Great moves, but it got to the point that the music was like nails on a chalkboard for me, particularly since she does not talk during the workout. I really hate that closing music - I lunge to shut off the video as that finishing music is playing. I missed my variety and am not sure I will ever complete another rotation again.
That is so funny because I love the closing music! That is the "you made it" music and it is music to my ears for that reason. However, I've only done about 8 EPIC III workouts so far so that leaves plenty of time for burnout LOL.

Congratulations for completing her EPIC III rotation!!
Old 11-14-21, 08:35 PM  
Fitstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by cataddict View Post
Lori, I don't want to speak for anyone else, but I like Cathe's metabolic workouts and music too. I just would like to see some additional variety in the workouts themselves, which she seems to be doing now with the yoga/mobility one for example. Her music was always fine with me.

bee, yeah I was thinking about using my own music for some of the Youtubers, but I need the timer beeps too. Oh well.
I agree with you about hoping for more variety from Cathe. I think adding step to some of the workouts would help. She used to do some fun cardio but it feels a bit stale right now. Hope she can revitalize when she gets back to 100%.

I discovered cdornerfitness during lockdown and her workouts are a breath of fresh air and so fun! Lots of variety including cardio dance.

I’ve recently tried some Studio Ross workouts and those are fun too! Sometimes Amy’s cuing can be off, but I just try to be patient the first time thru.

I can’t get into instructors who post workouts with voiceovers, I like the instructor to actually talk/instruct during the workout. So I haven’t really been drawn to Caroline’s stuff even though she has a lot of followers. Same with Kat, I wish she would talk as we workout, I’m just not into the voiceovers.
Fitstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-21, 11:42 PM  
ChelePA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paula N View Post

I attended Cathe's virtual road trip, and I recall her saying she had just gotten clearance to lift very heavy weight the week before. She still has some lingering issues with 'debris' in her eye that affects her depth perception, and that is why she is not doing more intricate step workouts yet. I think she mentioned one more upcoming procedure before she can start filming her new series.

Someone asked Cathe about the music in her videos and streaming, and she expressed strong displeasure about not being able to use better music like in her older workouts. Apparently there have been changes in copyright etc rules. It sounds like she has (or had) a music/sound guy on her team who takes care of all of that and actually searches out available music - apparently he was the one who found that 'A Little Less Conversation' was available to use at the time.

I love the music on Kat Gates-Buettner's workouts, Every once in a while, she will use royalty free music so that she can use that video to promote her channel, and she always explains that she has other videos that have much better music. I don't pretend to know all the YouTube rules about that sort of thing.

Steve SanSouice and Mynd Fitness are two other channels with mostly decent music for step (as far as that type of music goes).
Kat has some of my favorite music. And I love that she uses the beat of the music for her workouts. I wish she would add cycling classes on her YouTube channel. She said there’s really no market for them since peloton and other apps are so popular.
ChelePA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-21, 10:10 PM  
desderata

I agree about Cathe Live - the workouts repeat the same moves and the music is pretty bad. I understand about her recent eye issue, but I have been wanting her to add heavy weights classes for a couple of years now. I love PHA workouts and her DVD PHA workouts are great. Her Live PHA workouts go at a breakneck pace and are not as effective for muscle building/maintaining. I've given up on live.

On the other hand, I love Cathe On Demand and creating custom workouts that are exactly what I want. I use my own workouts about half the time I do Cathe.

I have been doing Chris Dorner's workouts almost exclusively for cardio. I love her cardio, her energy, her mostly good cuing, the variety. I tried two of her weights workouts but didn't click with them.
desderata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-21, 08:35 PM  
gigi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitstick View Post
I agree with you about hoping for more variety from Cathe. I think adding step to some of the workouts would help. She used to do some fun cardio but it feels a bit stale right now. Hope she can revitalize when she gets back to 100%.

I discovered cdornerfitness during lockdown and her workouts are a breath of fresh air and so fun! Lots of variety including cardio dance.

I’ve recently tried some Studio Ross workouts and those are fun too! Sometimes Amy’s cuing can be off, but I just try to be patient the first time thru.

I can’t get into instructors who post workouts with voiceovers, I like the instructor to actually talk/instruct during the workout. So I haven’t really been drawn to Caroline’s stuff even though she has a lot of followers. Same with Kat, I wish she would talk as we workout, I’m just not into the voiceovers.
I'm with you on the voice overs. I have not done Studio Ross workouts but I love Amy's creativity.

Tags
cathe, cathe live, music, workout music