Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-22-21, 12:46 PM  
bubbles76

Calistro I like multiple reps, so would be happy to take those Linda dvds off your hands . There is something about high rep workouts that zen me out. I love Jari Love and Margaret Richard workouts.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-21, 02:00 PM  
ebianco
VF Supporter

Add me to the group that has tons of Barlates DVDs and have gone through many but certainly not all of them. Like Jane I prefer DVDs because I play my own music over the workouts. And Linda puts out so much content, that I like to support her.

I've been doing more Cathe style traditional strength than barre/fusion workouts lately, but one day a week I still do barre and tend to rotate between Barlates and Pure Barre.

There are a few I really enjoy that I return to. I like these for their more total body feel (or to mix and match for total body):
-Pilates Ring Series (I think this may be my favorite Barlates DVD)
-Traditional Barre Series (mix and match)
-Traditional Mat Series (mix and match)
-Precision and Overload Training DVDs
-Double/Triple burn series
-Mix and Match series
-Cardio Sculpt Fusion 3-DVD set when I was doing more Dream Body style
-Interval Barre Fusions (mix and match)
-Target 10/15 I don't have the DVDs but I've mixed and matched them on youtube
-Mat Barre Series
-5 Best Exercises (mix and match or add on)

Some I haven't returned to...but still keeping just in case I may want to try them again someday :
-Barre Basics, Intermediate, and Advanced. They were great workouts but too long to try to make them work in a rotation.
-Clever Yoga Fusion. I really liked one workout but can't seem to pull it out regularly
-Yoga Barere Fusion. I really liked two workouts I did, they were tough, but can't seem to pull out regularly.
-Rebounder series. I have done several workouts and liked them but can't seem to pull them out regularly
-Tone, Chisel, and Sculpt 3-DVD set. These are Tonique style and I liked the idea of shorter workouts, but these are very basic/easy.
-Endurance workouts (100,110, 120 etc) I haven't been doing much Tonique style lately and usually when I do, I tend to choose a Tonique workout. But still, these are great workouts.
-Bosu Body Blast. This one was just kind of a dud for me.
-Step Barre Fusion. Another dud for me.
-Belly/Booty/Upper Body Burn workouts. I liked these but I liked the Mix and Match better.
-Double Loop series. Too long/too hard on each body part
-Shape It series. On the easier side.
-Mat Interval series. These are shorter to add on or mix and match but don't like them as much as the shorter ones above.

For as many as I've purchased, there's just as many I haven't purchased because they don't appeal to me. I definitely enjoy Linda and think she has a real talent for focused muscle burnout, and enjoy her pleasant personality (and the Mini cameos ). I would definitely purchase more of her workouts if they appealed to me. I always know I will get a tough workout with Linda whereas I often have to modify up (add ankle weights, loop band, ball, or pilates circle) when I do many other barre workouts. They aren't that expensive and again I like to support her.
Old 06-22-21, 03:40 PM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

I agree that Linda can rep you to death but sometimes that is what I want.
From her Precision Training Series I like the Mat workout the best. It uses the Pilates Circle. If anyone has the Pilates Circle Series they want to get rid of let me know and maybe we can arrange a trade. Since ebianco mentioned it was good now I am interested. ETA: Never mind- this is on YouTube. I am glad she mentioned that the double band workout is too hard. That one was on my radar screen.

I hadn't heard of her 5 best exercises one. I will have to look into it. I have Mat Intervals (I had the DVD but traded it) but some of them are VERY fast. The few that I liked I purchased in download form. My notes say I liked the abs, glutes and back segments. Still I don't reach for them much because I have alot of her stuff and these are not my faves.
lreidgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-21, 09:36 PM  
bubbles76

Which ones are good for floor work? I have twinged my knee AGAIN so squats and lunges are out for me for the next few weeks at least.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
Old 06-23-21, 04:13 AM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles76 View Post
Which ones are good for floor work?
i emailed Linda this exact question, and this is what she replied with:

Beginners Mat Series
Fusion Mat Workout
Pilates Beginners Series
Pilates Mat Series

from this list, I've only gotten Beginners Mat Series and i like it.

the ones that didn't work for me (these are assorted Barlates workouts):
Yoga Wheel Pilates - it was too easy and more like a pilates circle workout and a disappointment. there's way better workouts on youtube for the yoga wheel
Endurance 100, 110, 120 - I've done 2 workouts from the "100" series and it's got a dread factor so far
Feel Good Series - cardio sculpt was ok, but nothing to write home about; cardio stretch moved at lightning speed

still have a way to go on the remaining untried Barlates workouts.

the ones i own with "total body" in the DVD title are really split workouts on 1 DVD where, as others have said, excessive reps for that 1 body part.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-21, 06:14 AM  
pharma_gal

This thread is very helpful. For those who are doing her workouts how are you incorporating them? Are you just doing Linda or adding in other workouts? When doing just Linda, are you doing rotations/series or just pick and choose individual workouts? Thanks!
pharma_gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-21, 09:44 AM  
bubbles76

Thanks Bzar!

When I eventually do another Linda rotation I plan to use her dvds for strength and other workouts for cardio.
Old 06-23-21, 11:50 AM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pharma_gal View Post
This thread is very helpful. For those who are doing her workouts how are you incorporating them? Are you just doing Linda or adding in other workouts? When doing just Linda, are you doing rotations/series or just pick and choose individual workouts? Thanks!
strangely, i have never seen a concerted "rotation" from Linda but there have been a few posts here and there from VFers who shared their rotation. that's the MO i notice with barlates - it seems a series comes out but doesn't have a rotation with it. i don't need a rotation necessarily because i usually use barlates piece-meal anyway based on what the workout entails. but if she provided one with with her many "series" of DVDs, it would give you an idea of what Linda had in mind in how to use her workouts.

based on my experience of how other rotations are set up, there's usually a balance of working and recovering. i could make up my own rotation, but if i did, it wouldn't be 100% Linda because i don't hear enough info about what workouts of hers that are designed for recovery. there probably are some, but i don't hear people talk about them.

for me, if i found a toning workout from Linda that i liked, i would use it in a rotation with other instructors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles76 View Post
When I eventually do another Linda rotation I plan to use her dvds for strength and other workouts for cardio.
similar to what i posted above. except that her toning workouts would have a very small role in a rotation that includes her. i like high rep, but from other instructors. i like pilates, but from other instructors.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-21, 11:52 AM  
bubbles76

Bzar I went through my collection, and I have Fusion Mat workout! I also have the following that sound like they have a lot of floor work:
  • Mat Sculpt and Burn
  • Traditional Mat Series
  • Ankle Weight and Loop Chisel

Can anyone confirm for me that these do NOT have squats and lunges? These can be total body, as long as the lower body emphasis is floor work, ala Margaret Richard (though it doesn't have to match her reps lol!).
Old 06-23-21, 05:07 PM  
Raineth
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzar View Post
strangely, i have never seen a concerted "rotation" from Linda but there have been a few posts here and there from VFers who shared their rotation. that's the MO i notice with barlates - it seems a series comes out but doesn't have a rotation with it. i don't need a rotation necessarily because i usually use barlates piece-meal anyway based on what the workout entails. but if she provided one with with her many "series" of DVDs, it would give you an idea of what Linda had in mind in how to use her workouts.
She has posted some calendars that link to her YouTube workouts here: http://www.workoutdvdworld.com.au/wo...out-calendars/
Raineth is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
barlates, linda wooldridge