Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-16-21, 12:44 PM  
alisoncooks

Oh wow, I had a Body Blade. That was a big bomb, though I was able to resell it.

Ah, I've wasted money on soooo many gadgets...and I'm sure I'm not done, lol. Most recently: I bought a Fitcuff to use with a Leslie video, and then after not using it, I donated it to the thrift store. Then something convinced me that I NEEDED it again, so I rebought it. Ask me how many times I've used it in the months I've had it. (spoiler alert: the answer is ZERO!)
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-21, 12:55 PM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

What is the Firm death box, anyway?
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-21, 01:09 PM  
Paine
VF Supporter

I bought Harbinger Lifting Hooks to help my old lady hands be able to hold heavier weights but they dug into my hands and hurt worse than without them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usia View Post
Also, even though I like my Bellicon 49" rebounder just fine, it was an unnecessary (and expensive!) purchase since I already owned a Jumpsport which I actually like better.
Dana, tell me why you like your Jumpsport more than your 49" Bellicon.
Paine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-21, 01:31 PM  
Kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzar View Post
oddly, i use the Firm Wave for just basic stepping in the "tunnel" position. i have the DVDs but have never used it in the upright "U" position. it's small enough to leave in the living room but can be tucked away quite easily.
I also have a Firm Wave - no dvds as it was a thrift store find. The cashiers asked me what it was, so I did a little demonstration at check out, lol.

I have used it for stepping, but mostly I balance on it in the "U" position while doing upper body work.

My fails are tubing I bought ages ago at a yard sale, so no big loss there. And the ropeless jump rope that came in the JNL Fusion set. I can't use them, because my cats are convinced they are a toy, and I end up being attacked almost as soon as they come out of the box
Kitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-21, 01:33 PM  
wendug

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrice View Post
I am a life long Firmie, but to me the Wave was a big fail.

Patrice
I still need to decide if the Wave is a fail or not. I bought it off of Craigslist with the DVDs for $15. I did try all the workouts and liked it; however, I had issues with the wave in the "U" position shifting. It came with some mat to put under the wave, but it doesn't work great. I had to put the wave in storage when we ditched our carpet in the living room (my workout space) when our older doggie became incontinent and would have accidents. The Wave definitely did not work great on hardwood floors. Anyway...fast forward and we have a since lost our sweet doggie, got a new doggie, and bought a new awesome rug for the living room. Alas, the Wave is still in storage. I'll have to pull it out and give it a go again. Maybe try to find a solution to keep it from shifting.
Old 06-16-21, 01:37 PM  
warriorprincess

<groan> Kangoo boots. Not fun at all when you're not in a live class.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
You're only 1 workout away from a good mood.
warriorprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-21, 02:20 PM  
kat999

I actually love the whole Wave system and still use it. I use the Wave itself for the Transfirmer and "death box" workouts, too, since I don't have either of those devices (just align the Wave carefully with a mini step, and then you have the incline, basically). I will say the Wave workouts themselves are awfully easy and render a pretty low calorie burn at my fitness level, but I think they're fun, the music is good, and they're led by all my favorite later-era FIRM instructors.

For stuff that was a waste of money for me, I used to have this machine that you sat on, kept your feet on pedals, and then grabbed the handles to pull yourself into a quasi-standing position. I can't remember what it was called, but I guess the point was that it worked your abs and your arms at the same time? You could put your arms in different positions. But basically your legs were not really doing much. The item was very cumbersome and got quickly used to hang clothes.

Even though I'm a hardcore FIRM fan, there were a few device kits that I ditched, most notably the one with the circular band that Alison leads (Dangerous Curves Ahead, IIRC), the tubing/handle workout led by Tina (too short, the tubing thing would frequently fall apart), and the weighted glove set with Rebekah. I actually still have the gloves, though, and use them for a 10 Minute Trainer kickboxing DVD with Jessica Smith. I think it was just the workout itself that I wasn't fond of.

Stuff I got rid of that I regret: a rebounder, a VERY old stationary bike that actually worked super well, a rowing machine (I think I thought it took up too much space but now I miss it terribly), and a cross country ski machine (again, took up a lot of space, but it was really effective).

I do have a stationary bike now, but it's set to my husband's much, much taller height, so it's a pain to adjust for my own use.
Old 06-16-21, 02:42 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kat999 View Post
For stuff that was a waste of money for me, I used to have this machine that you sat on, kept your feet on pedals, and then grabbed the handles to pull yourself into a quasi-standing position. I can't remember what it was called, but I guess the point was that it worked your abs and your arms at the same time?
I'm pretty sure, based on your description, that that was the HealthRider (described in my post that was donated) or a copycat called the Cardio Glide.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-21, 03:05 PM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

Rebounder, Bosu, and the Firm "stinky stick" system.

Drop Two Sizes, Fit Body Blueprint, STRONG Eat. Lift. Thrive. and Revamp grad

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-21, 03:22 PM  
kat999

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzar View Post
I'm pretty sure, based on your description, that that was the HealthRider (described in my post that was donated) or a copycat called the Cardio Glide.
YES! That was it, the HealthRider. I really wanted to like it. I remember the seat was very comfortable and the motion wasn't hard to do. It was just sort of boring, and I think the same benefits could be gained from a few compound arm/ab exercises.

Tags
body blade, bodyblade, equipment gathering dust, fitness gadget, gadget fails, gadgets