Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-30-21, 12:50 PM  
TinaT

Mind Shift b/c of Jessica

I am most likely not going to be purchasing her new Lift & Shift Set, but after watching the clip provided on another thread, I am starting to realize I need to make mind shift. Jessica made a simple statement that really stuck with me.

She talks about focusing on what we're putting into our bodies vs what we're taking out. Not focusing on the calories burned but rather building lean muscle. (I paraphrased what she said). I think maybe I've been too focused on the calorie burn, that I've forgotten how benificial just moving, lifting weights and enjoying what I'm doing is part of the process. I've gone overboard with the calories in and out and lost a good amount of joy because of it.

Maybe... just maybe if I focus on what I enjoy, moving moderately and just being in the moment with my workout, I would yield better results overall. (physically, mentally & emotionally).

Thoughts, opinions welcome.
TinaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-21, 01:06 PM  
Kitten

I posted in another thread about, how even if I'm doing a long or harder workout, I still pick things I love to do.

I do 20 - 30 minutes on days I work and longer ones on the days I don't. The shorter ones on the days I work are absolutely for destressing me after a hard day of work. The longer ones on the days I don't I put earbuds in and listen to a podcast.

I enjoy my workouts. I'm not really all that concerned about calorie burn.

I also do not do high impact.
Kitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-21, 01:19 PM  
Gemini2874
VF Supporter

Same...I am right there with you both! I also gave up dieting and don't worry about what I eat anymore. I eat what I want, when I want. I did a mind shift of focusing on what my body can do and not on what it looks like. It was SO freeing!!! I now do things I like in terms of movement. I really like Jessica Smith and she has become my favorite instructor. When I take rest days, I actually miss the crew of Jessica, Beth, and Debbie! But, I never worry about trying to change my body. I stopped weighing myself but I am guessing I am still over 200 pounds. I stopped thinking my body needed to be fixed. There is nothing wrong with me. I can be fat, strong and beautiful at the same time! I stopped wearing uncomfortable clothes (push up bras, sexy underwear, heels, tight clothes). I stopped stressing about whether I measured up to some arbitrary standard. Screw that! I AM ENOUGH. I AM WORTHY. I HAVE VALUE and my worth and value come from me and not what anyone thinks of me. Now, I live for ME and nobody else!! I work out because I like feeling strong and it grounds me helping my mood. I don't really want to kill myself working out because then it won't be fun anymore!!! So, I just enjoy the journey.....
Gemini2874 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-21, 02:29 PM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

Gemini,

That is a wonderful post! There is so much wisdom in it. You are to be congratulated.
Old 04-30-21, 02:47 PM  
IceQueen07

Gemini - Great Post!

**Candice**
IceQueen07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-21, 02:47 PM  
prettyinpink

I think that is great advice.

There will be times where some people, for health or other reasons, might need to focus on how many calories they are eating to lose weight effectively. Pahla B is a proponent of this. But I think it’s been known for years that estimates of calories burned during exercise are very inaccurate, and I’ve never paid attention to that.
I find it distracting when cardio machines or apps or whatever tell me how many calories I’ve burned. I completely ignore them.

I want to gain or at least maintain muscle, and feel good. Exercise for me is about lifestyle, physical and mental health. Aging is freeing in that way. It’s not that I don’t still care what I look like, but how my butt or arms look are not the main things anymore. It’s being strong and having energy and knowing I am taking care of myself.
prettyinpink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-21, 03:18 PM  
Erica H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemini2874 View Post
I am right there with you both! I also gave up dieting and don't worry about what I eat anymore. I eat what I want, when I want. I did a mind shift of focusing on what my body can do and not on what it looks like. It was SO freeing!!! I now do things I like in terms of movement. I really like Jessica Smith and she has become my favorite instructor. When I take rest days, I actually miss the crew of Jessica, Beth, and Debbie! But, I never worry about trying to change my body. I stopped weighing myself but I am guessing I am still over 200 pounds. I stopped thinking my body needed to be fixed. There is nothing wrong with me. I can be fat, strong and beautiful at the same time! I stopped wearing uncomfortable clothes (push up bras, sexy underwear, heels, tight clothes). I stopped stressing about whether I measured up to some arbitrary standard. Screw that! I AM ENOUGH. I AM WORTHY. I HAVE VALUE and my worth and value come from me and not what anyone thinks of me. Now, I live for ME and nobody else!! I work out because I like feeling strong and it grounds me helping my mood. I don't really want to kill myself working out because then it won't be fun anymore!!! So, I just enjoy the journey.....
Your post made me cry. I am so happy for you. Thank you for sharing.

Erica
Erica H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-21, 05:24 PM  
Gemini2874
VF Supporter

Thanks, Jane, IceQueen and Erica.

To the poster that cried, you are so brave and I admire your courage. Never be ashamed of where you are on your journey. The most important part is that you are ON the journey. You haven’t given up. I remember watching one of my favorites shows about a group of alcoholic women. One of the women broke her sobriety 5 days in a row. On the 6th day, she didn’t want to go to the AA meeting and get the “day 1 token” again. She said she was embarrassed and ashamed. But, her mentor told her she shouldn’t be ashamed and embarrassed. In fact, she should be proud. She could have given up but she didn’t. Every day, she wakes up and tries. Even if the day doesn’t go as she planned, she keeps showing up and trying. And, that is the bravest and most courageous thing she could ever do.

Please check out the podcast Maintenance Phase. It’s amazing!!! The hosts are AWESOME and one of them has an eating disorder. In fact, they did an episode on eating disorders that was so powerful and enlightening. I listen every. single. day. The world bombards us with sh*t messages 24/7 that try to get us to hate ourselves and question our worth. So, I combat it by surrounding myself with positive things that align with my goals of where I want to be. I read books like Dietland, The Body Is not an Apology, and What We Don’t Talk About When We Talk About Fat (the author has an eating disorder). She is also the co-host on the Maintenance Phase podcast. I also read quotes to remind myself that life is more important than a number on a scale. Life is short and I don’t want to be on the sidelines anymore. I am so sorry that you have had to suffer. Wishing you nothing but happiness, love and peace. Please know that you are supported on your journey.
Gemini2874 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-21, 05:30 PM  
TinaT

I do think it's all about giving myself permission to change my goals. I've had the same ones since FOREVER. So much has happened since I started working out, with very little variance in my workout expectations.

I have no grand illusions of a tight, ripped body at this point. I do want to feel stronger, maintain my balance and flexibility and also maintain my cardio health.
TinaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-21, 05:49 PM  
Erica H.

Gemini2874 thanks so much for the support, information, and the inspiration!

Erica
Erica H. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
body acceptance, jessica smith, lift and shift, mindset, results