Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-07-21, 04:42 PM  
Anne29

So far, I'm really excited and impressed by this new program of Jessica's. I've done five Lift and Shift workouts so far, and I feel like they're absolutely the perfect kind of challenge for where I'm at right now. I love that they're challenging without being frantic or stressful. It's really nice that they don't take up much space, and I don't have to get out tons of equipment. I really like how calm and motivating Jessica is, and the various motivational quotes and uplifting comments are just what I need right now. (Pandemic fatigue has set in hard!)

Just for a little background, I've been doing Cathe's workouts for the last year or so. I started with LITE and ICE, then moved on to Xtrain in the summer. I hurt my back in the fall and after a few months of rehab, I got back to doing Cathe's weight work in January and February (Perfect 30, Strong & Sweaty and some of her older stuff). I went through all of Jessica's Walk Strong sets back in 2018-9, so I knew that I liked her stuff, but I was a little worried that I'd "outgrown her" since I've been doing Cathe. But Lift and Shift definitely isn't too easy for me. She has you do deeper, slower squats, and her leg presses are slower and with a greater range of motion too. And she has you do one-legged pistol squats, which I totally can't do with much weight at all yet. She also has more functional movements--like the stuff where you practice getting up and down off the floor without using your arms. I kind of knew that I needed to work on such things, but it was easier just to keep doing what Cathe tells me to do. Jessica also includes core work in just about every workout, and with Cathe you often have to tack on core after you've already done a 45-50 min workout. So for me, that meant I only worked my core about twice a week.

So anyway, I think this program is going to work well for me. The one reservation I have is whether I can keep doing these same workouts for three months. The 90-day Xtrain rotation really got to be a slog at the end. But I'm willing to give it a try. At least I get to throw in whatever cardio workouts appeal to me each week. Maybe that'll be enough variety, for a variety-junky like me!
Anne29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-21, 06:29 PM  
IceQueen07

All these reviews just make me want to get it more and more. The question is do I really need another workout set? I have so many I have only done once.

**Candice**
IceQueen07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-21, 09:58 AM  
laurajhawk

I couldn't wait - I did Total-Body Strength this morning. I agree with the general opinion that Jessica is not messing around here! I used 15/10/7 for the first circuit and then dropped a notch lower for the second circuit, and I think I'll be feeling these tomorrow.

I like the controlled pace; I was surprised that the sets were 20 reps. That means I'm not going as heavy as I do in some other programs with 8-10 rep sets. I didn't use gliders - I work out on carpet and don't like using paper plates - but it worked fine with the modifications she gave. I didn't like not doing ANY stretch so I added on the 5-minute stretch and that was good.

I was able to stream from the Purple Player on my phone, to my Apple TV, and the quality was good. One time near the beginning of the workout, and once during the stretch, the video paused for no reason. It started again when I pressed Play on the Apple TV remote. The first time, I was afraid it was going to keep doing that and that would be terrible, but it didn't happen, so I think it will be OK. I didn't try to download the workout in my Purple Player app and probably won't; these aren't workouts I would use while traveling, since you need plenty of dumbbells.

I'm happy with the purchase and plan to keep doing the rotation; I'm starting early but I know there will be a few days when I can't work out, so the group will "catch up" to me eventually, if I stick with it.

"Don't say 'I can't' ... say 'I presently suck at this thing.'" - Matt Meese, BYU Divine Comedy
laurajhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-21, 11:15 AM  
LeslieM
VF Supporter

Updated HIIRT timestamps:

High-Intensity Interval Resistance Training [HIIRT] 52 minutes,notes:

(NOTE: I was multi-tasking during preview….will need to add a few more breakdowns, but want to share what I have since I may be away from my laptop the rest of the day) NOTE: DONE--SEE UPDATED NUMBERS BELOW!

There are 5 sets of exercises. Each round repeats twice within the set

Timestamps per preview

Set 1 Round 1: 5:00
Set 1 Round 2: 9:50
Set 2 Round 1: 14:15
Set 2 Round 2: 18:55
Set 3 Round 1: 23:28
Set 3 Round 2: 28:52
Set 4 Round 1: 34:25
Set 4 Round 2: 39:48
Set 5 Round 1: 44:50
Set 5 Round 2: 48:42

Each round finishes with a metabolic finisher

Extremely short cooldown and stretch, as with other strength workouts in this series. A separate 5 minute bonus stretch is included, plus there are the shorter mobility workouts. Balance work is included.

I am happily a low-intermediate to immediate level exerciser and this workout looks *hard*. Jessica said she could not finish it the first time through, but to do the best we can. She shows modifications via short inset screen videos.
Old 03-08-21, 01:18 PM  
LeslieM
VF Supporter

Lower-Body Circuit 42 minutes, notes.

Timestamps per preview

Dynamic Warmup
Circuit 1: 8:00
Circuit 2: 19:07
Circuit 3: 30:45

Extremely short cooldown and stretch, as with other strength workouts in this series. A separate 5 minute bonus stretch is included, plus there are the shorter mobility workouts. Balance work is included.
Old 03-08-21, 02:56 PM  
LeslieM
VF Supporter

Upper-Body Circuit, 44 minutes, notes:

2 circuits, each containing 2 repeating sets

Timestamps per preview:

Dynamic Warmup w/bands
Circuit 1 Round 1: 8:05
Circuit 1 Round 2: 19:05
Band pulls between circuits
Circuit 2 Round 1: 30:43
Circuit 2 Round 2: 38:05

Old 03-08-21, 03:02 PM  
donnamp

It does sound like you can shorten these by not repeating the circuits...food for thought!

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-21, 03:13 PM  
laurajhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnamp View Post
It does sound like you can shorten these by not repeating the circuits...food for thought!

Donna
Yes, and I love that option! During Total-Body Strength Jessica even tells you something like "now decide whether you're finished or whether you're continuing to Circuit 2." And you don't have to chapter ahead to the stretch (can you even do that in PP?) because the 5-minute stretch is separate.

"Don't say 'I can't' ... say 'I presently suck at this thing.'" - Matt Meese, BYU Divine Comedy
laurajhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-21, 03:30 PM  
tiletha444

Well...I originally said I was passing on this release. Now, I'm reconsidering... I love weight work, and ya'll are making these sound sooo tempting!
tiletha444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-21, 04:02 PM  
SFR
VF Supporter

I could shorten by fast forwarding and I can use lighter weights to start. I'm assuming my chromecast remote will work.

I'm not worried about purple player going out of business. I'm sure Jessica would find another way to provide the workouts to those who paid.

I don't need to do the rotation. I may never do the HIIRT one. I can mix in my own fun cardio options.

I just love the idea of calm and controlled and safe strength workouts.

I watched somebody on YouTube do the first 3 workouts and wow is this comprehensive.

I appreciate all the reviews!

Tags
eccentric weight training, jessica smith, jessica smith get strong, jessica smith strength, lift and shift, lift and shift reviews, purple player, streaming reviews, streaming workouts, strength rotation