Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-03-21, 09:02 AM  
Carol K

Quote:
Originally Posted by sciencelady View Post
I'm rereading the All Creatures Great and Small books after watching the Masterpiece TV series. The first time I read them was about 40 years ago!
I've never read the books, but I loved the series. I'm happy there's going to be a second season.
Old 03-03-21, 10:29 AM  
Pam

Quote:
Originally Posted by sciencelady View Post
I'm rereading the All Creatures Great and Small books after watching the Masterpiece TV series. The first time I read them was about 40 years ago!
I just started his book -Dog Stories. The first book of his I have read and I am enjoy it. I will check out his Masterpiece Series after reading the great recommendations here!

Recently read The Hideaway by Lauren Denton. I am going to get more of her books. Also read a mystery by William Krueger, Heaven’s Keep. First heard about thanks to VFers. Great mystery!

Also read a book of short stories by Sue Grafton-Kinsey and Me. Perfect for while waiting while my car was repaired. Skipped the last section of her stories growing up with her alcoholic Mom.
Old 03-03-21, 07:27 PM  
annette
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnyHop View Post

If you haven't read it yet, try Ken Grimwood's Replay. He relives his life to entertaining and thought provoking effect.
I LOVED Replay! Have read it twice and given it as a gift to my fellow reader friends and family members.
annette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-21, 01:22 AM  
Sand

I'm currently reading The Book of Unknown Americans.

Speaking of All Creatures Great and Small, I'm planning on watching the series this weekend. I wasn't aware that it was based on books.
Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-21, 06:21 AM  
Carol K

There are 3 books; All Creatures Great and Small is the first. My hair stylist read all of them.
Old 03-04-21, 07:35 AM  
Erica H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol K View Post
There are 3 books; All Creatures Great and Small is the first. My hair stylist read all of them.
I read them all when I was a child and loved them. I thought my dd would like them, but she didn't.

Just finished Kitchen Confidential. I liked parts of it, but found most of it boring. I'm not familiar with the author, who apparently had his own show. Maybe I would have been more interested in the comment if I knew who he was.

I am reading The Elephant in the Room: One Fat Man's Quest to Get Smaller in a Growing America now and like it so far.

Erica
Erica H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-21, 08:29 AM  
sciencelady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol K View Post
Ha? I've got 4 books in a boxed set - All Creatures Great and Small, All Things Bright and Beautiful, All Things Wise and Wonderful, and The Lord God Made Them All. Right now I'm rereading All Things Bright and Beautiful. This is a set from Bantam Books copyright 1973 and 1974.
sciencelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-21, 08:48 AM  
Carol K

I only knew of the first three. I didn't read them.
Old 03-04-21, 09:46 AM  
Kathy G
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnyHop View Post
Years ago I figured out that if I was reading Stephen King novels, I was depressed.

Since then I've read some, enjoyed some and tolerated the others. Not a fan of the horrifying stuff, I like the more subtle aspects of his best work.

Not a huge fan of 11/22/63.

If you haven't read it yet, try Ken Grimwood's Replay. He relives his life to entertaining and thought provoking effect.
Replay is one of my all time favorites. I read it years ago when it was first published (in one day). I couldn’t put it down!

I bought the new Stephen King book “Later” but haven’t started reading it yet. I also pre-ordered his other new one “ Billy Summers” that’s being released 8/3/21.

I also just started reading a short story collection by Joe Hill. I didn’t realize he was Stephen King’s son! He is more thriller than horror like his Dad, lol.
(1) 50k
(10) Marathons
(2) 20 milers
(3) 25k’s
(16) Half Marathons
(1) 20k
(6) 10 milers
(1) 15k
Kathy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-21, 09:53 AM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

I read Joe Hill's NOS4A2, which was pretty creepy (and is now a TV series); I thought his writing was pretty similar to his dad's. DH and I also liked the movie HORNS, which was based on another one of Hill's books.

Later is supposed to be the next book in Stephen King's "hard case crime" series. The first was The Colorado Kid, which I didn't like at all, but the next was Joyland, which I loved!

I don't know if I mentioned, but when I went to the library last week, I also picked up Kate Morton's The Secret Keeper to read after The Institute. The also had The Clockmaker's Daughter, but after reading the two covers, I liked the sound of the former more.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
audiobooks, books, kindle, reading, spring reading