Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-02-20, 10:20 PM  
Jewels5

Advice for small workout space

Helllo VFers!

I have not posted in ages but I'm still doing workout DVDs, and mostly Cathe to be specific. I am in need of advice for those who make the most out of a small workout space. I have been doing home workouts for over twelve years and have always valued my "oasis" and being fortunate to have living space that provided ample room. But a domestic change in circumstances has led me to downsize significantly to a small place and I love everything about the home but am a little concerned about my workouts...I was hoping some of you here would understand!

How do you make it work?

"To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world." -Heather Cortez
Jewels5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-20, 02:59 AM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

i have a very small workout space. i am 5'3" and when i lay down, i do so diagonally, and even at that i can't "make snow angels" with my arms. i can do floor work.

despite that small footprint, i can fit a step co. step in that space and can do simple choreo and use the bench for weightlifting. i used to work out in the living room but the cord that attaches the DVD player to the TV needs to be replaced, so i just work out in the tiny room i referred to.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-20, 07:51 AM  
Jewels5

Thanks bzar! This gives me hope. Lol I am 5'10 and so I take up a lot of space when doing cardio. I'm mostly worried about how to store my equipment though. I hate to part with it because I've collected so much.

"To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world." -Heather Cortez
Old 12-03-20, 08:05 AM  
sherry7899

Julie, what equipment do you need to store? I put medicine balls,Leslie Sansone balls and weights inside the risers of my step. If you post what you need to store and the space you have, maybe we can help with ideas.

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-20, 08:07 AM  
sherry7899

If you have your DVDs in a bookshelf, you can roll ups mats and stick them on top of the shelf, and put yoga blocks and straps on top of a row of DVDs.

Old 12-03-20, 08:09 AM  
sherry7899

https://www.brit.co/small-space-hacks-home-gym/

Old 12-03-20, 08:10 AM  
sherry7899

https://www.theorganizedmama.com/org...ise-equipment/

Old 12-03-20, 08:12 AM  
sherry7899

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kW4HAatvJhk

Old 12-03-20, 08:17 AM  
Jewels5

Sherry, omg, thanks for those links! I didn't even think of googling, just came directly to VF.

I have my regular club step, high step, barbell, dumbbells ranging from 2 to 40 pounds (probably need a rack for those), mats, bands, stability ball, and of course my DVDs. I will have to sell my bar which I use a chair half the time anyway. I just don't want the front room to look like my workout room as soon as someone walks in the door.

Old 12-03-20, 08:25 AM  
sherry7899

Julie, you are welcome!
Does the room double as a living room/family room? If it does, you can store some things under the couch. An ottoman with a lid would be a good place to store things also.

Tags
small space, workout rooms, workout space