ChelePA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana3271 View Post
I am quoting myself since I said it upthread:
Did you use powder or capsules? Thanks.
ChelePA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-22, 03:27 PM  
Gams

Since my last surgery in July I’ve been following the Mediterranean diet and working out at least 2 hours a day - not strenuous stuff, mostly Leslie Sansone and other walking workouts. I’ve lost 38 pounds without really trying- I think the low sodium and low sugar eating has made the difference. At my last recheck with my doctor in November, she said this was the most normal my rear end has ever looked and she was very pleased. I don’t have bloodwork done again until spring but I’m looking forward to seeing what my numbers are.
Gams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-22, 03:28 PM  
jackie7

Would love the info too! Given me 6 months to get it down. Thanks
jackie7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-22, 03:29 PM  
sherry7899

I would like the information also please.

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-22, 05:44 AM  
donnamp

What a timely revival of this thread.

I recently had bloodwork at my physical and my LDL was, again, slightly elevated. It has been trending upward for a number of years. Fortunately, my Dr is not pushing drugs, but lifestyle changes - but honestly, I already follow what she says.

I don't eat a lot of meat - I have red meat *maybe* once a week, probably more like once or twice a month. I do eat some chicken occasionally but - really is just a salad topping for me not a "main" course.

I don't eat a lot of high fat dairy products. I switched out my half & half for whole milk in my coffee. I don't drink milk (just put it in coffee). I do eat some low fat Greek Yogurt a couple of times a week (two spoons or so in a smoothie). I each cheese, again, maybe once or twice a week.

I don't eat packaged foods- maybe a little package of crackers or chips once or twice a week - if that

I DO drink coffee - and I posted way at the start of this thread about French Press Coffee raising LDL

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/art...ut-cholesterol

And, my understanding was that if you used a filter in making coffee it would address the issue. I do make *most* of my coffee using a pour over with a filter. *However* I do still have some espresso drinks - and those are not filtered and since I work from home, I do have them several times a week. Depending on the week and the workload, lol.

I am wondering if that is the culprit?

I also exercise, per my Dr's recommendation - maybe not the most strenuous exercise in the world, but I do workout pretty much daily - more on the moderate than strenuous side. I try to get out for daily walks w/ my dog.

In short, I'm really at a loss for what else I can do.

*Also* my last few blood tests were done NON FASTING - my Dr says it doesn't matter - but - I think it probably does? Everything else (blood sugar, triglycerides, etc.) were within normal ranges.

What are you thoughts on the coffee thing and the fasting vs. non-fasting?

I'm going to give the fiber a supplements a try (as mentioned upthread). I would do the chia seeds but for whatever reason those really bother my stomach. Maybe I added them in too much too soon. I'll proceed slowly with the fiber, but I think based on what I eat, I probably get enough fiber, but I guess it is better than drugs....

My dr. recommened Red yeast rice as a supplement, but I looked into it and I think I'm going to pass. Red Yeast Rice has some of the same contraindications and side effects as statins, yet supplements are not regulated or tested for safety or efficacy, so...I will be passing on that suggestion.

I think I may ask for a fasted bloodwork test and as much as it pains me, I may cut back on coffee (I can't believe I'm saying those words) and try to add in more tea. I read that bergamot - the flavoring in Earl Grey tea can have cholesterol lowering benefits.

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/art...0flavonoids%20.

My only issue with tea vs. coffee is that I do like to add a little sweetner to my tea whereas I drink coffee w/ no sweetner just milk and I wonder if I'm swamping one evil for a worse evil. I guess I can re-train my taste buds.

Anyway - the whole thing is frustrating - especially when I am not really sure what I can do to make dietary and lifestyle changes to fix it, since I already do what is recommended. Mostly plant based, low saturated fat, low to no trans fat, exercise, etc.

Oh, i will also add in that my weight is in the normal range. I did gain weight during the pandemic, but I went into the pandemic underweight and now I'm "normal". So weight loss isn't an issue.

I think I may keep a food diary for two weeks or so just to see if my perception of the way I eat matches reality. I think I'm going to give the fiber a try and I think I'm going to see what I can do about the coffee (that is going to be the hard one).

Thanks for listening to the rant...

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-22, 05:47 AM  
Negin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana3271 View Post
Not with exercise, but I was able to get it down to a normal range without medication. I can share in a PM.
Diana, I'd really appreciate if if you would please PM me also.

ETA: No worries. I see that you've posted. Thank you!
Old 12-08-22, 06:00 AM  
donnamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChelePA View Post
Did you use powder or capsules? Thanks.
Diana mentioned up at the beginning of the thread that she used the capsules - and I believe took 2-3 with each meal.

That seems to me like a painless way to do it - the metamucil drinks sound rough to get down.

Donna
Old 12-08-22, 07:34 AM  
Negin

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeslieM View Post
True Citrus--a/k/a/ True Lemon, True Lime, True Orange. Sometimes found at grocery stores too.

https://smile.amazon.com/True-Dispen...s%2C181&sr=8-2
My only concern is that the more citrus that I have, the worse it is for the acid erosion on my teeth. My dentist has told me to cut back on citrus, as well as vinegar, etc.
Old 12-08-22, 07:40 AM  
donnamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Negin View Post
My only concern is that the more citrus that I have, the worse it is for the acid erosion on my teeth. My dentist has told me to cut back on citrus, as well as vinegar, etc.
Diana mentioned the citrucel capsules up thread - I think that is the route I'm going to take.

The thought of drinking a cloudy, fibrous beverage just turns me off. I think my grandmother used to drink metamucil!

Using the capsules would eliminate the need to flavoring your water. I do believe you are supposed to take the capsules with water though - taking fiber supplements w/out water can have the reverse effect, if you know what I mean....

Donna
Old 12-08-22, 10:49 AM  
Rivercat
VF Supporter

Thanks for reviving this thread. My doctor has been nagging me about elevated LDL and potentially going on statins lately too, especially as I am mostly vegan. Great info about increased fiber intake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeslieM View Post
True Citrus--a/k/a/ True Lemon, True Lime, True Orange. Sometimes found at grocery stores too.
Love True Lime! I got a SodaStream about a year ago but not a fan of any of the syrups. I was making my own dupe of Rose's Lime Juice to squirt into plain fizzy water, but it has a lot of sugar. Saw this brand mentioned on the SS subreddit a few months ago and it changed everything. Note that the True Lemonade found in a lot of grocery stores has sweetener added.

~~~Inaugural Star Wars Half Marathon, Jan 2015~~~

"Work your own shovel" - John "The Penguin" Bingham
Rivercat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cholesterol, eating, exercise to heal, fiber, health, medical tests, nutrition, results