Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-30-20, 01:15 PM  
Catahoula Cate

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzar View Post

Cool Yoga Tricks by Miriam Austin.
Jeannine, I'll be looking into this one. I have Yoga for Wimps-Poses for the Flexibly Impaired by Miriam Austin. I bought Yoga for Wimps after taking quite a long break from yoga coupled with injuries. It was a great reintroduction back into Yoga and I like Miriam's instruction and use of photos. Thanks for the share of this other book by her.

Quit sitting!! Joints and muscles love motion!

Do The Next Thing!
Catahoula Cate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-20, 04:11 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catahoula Cate View Post
Jeannine, I'll be looking into this one. I have Yoga for Wimps-Poses for the Flexibly Impaired by Miriam Austin. I bought Yoga for Wimps after taking quite a long break from yoga coupled with injuries. It was a great reintroduction back into Yoga and I like Miriam's instruction and use of photos. Thanks for the share of this other book by her.
you're welcome! i first borrowed it from the library and tried some of them, and they worked! there's this one about sciatica that totally works - you stand, put one leg on a table or barre so that that leg is parallel to the ground. then you hang a 25-pound weight plate from that thigh using 2 yoga straps. it sounds kooky, but it works!!

i came across a used copy for $1. The original owner bought it from Ross Stores for $3.99 - the tag was still on the back!

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-20, 09:05 AM  
seagreen01
VF Supporter

I am using and looking at three books which I picked up from thrift stores recently.

The first is Dynamic Aging by Katy Bowman. I love this one and will never part with it. The book is aimed at the 50+ market. On the cover it says with 30+ moves to build pain free feet, better balance and confident movement. It is so much more though.
Second is an older book, Getting in Shape with Bob Anderson, Ed Burke and Bill Pearl. Stretching, weights and cardiovascular. I’m taking from this mostly warm up stretching but the lifting and health sections are interesting to me too.
Yoga Bodies is my inspiration to fit yoga into my week. Beautiful photos of inspirational yoga instructors and real people with a short story on each. Alan Finger, Mandy Ingber, Naomi Watts and even a dog appear.
seagreen01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-20, 09:45 AM  
fanofladyvols

Ohh the Stretching book by Bob Anderson is one I will never part with.

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-20, 07:08 AM  
killoffsonny

Brooke Siler The Pilates body

I have quite a few exercise books but thats the only one I use.
Old 10-11-20, 03:00 PM  
prettyinpink

I really like Glute Lab by Bret Contreras.

I also found any books by either one of the Cosgroves very helpful. Many of them have someone else as the primary author, but the programs and most of the ideas are theirs.

Katy Bowman’s Move Your DNA and her book about feet are good ones.

I also like Brooke Siler’s Pilates book.
prettyinpink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-20, 03:57 PM  
warriorprincess

My two favorites. are both a decade old:

New Rules of Lifting for Women

Younger Next Year

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
You're only 1 workout away from a good mood.
warriorprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-20, 09:03 AM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

My favorite book is "The Six Week Bikini Countdown" by Karon Karter because it's the most complete exercise book I own. I am well past the bikini stage, but it is a six week program composed of cardio, weights and Pilates workouts. Each day is mapped out and the exercises are shown in full color photos. The exercises get progressively harder each week. There is very little dietary info in the book (it meets VF Guidelines) so you'd have to do that on your own.

BTW I have NROL, NROL for Abs and NROL for Women available for SASE if anyone wants them.
Old 10-16-20, 10:01 AM  
sheepla
VF Supporter

I agree with bzar. Cool Yoga Tricks is a terrific book (I'm sure I originally bought it because of a recommendation here). I use it regularly as a reference.

I also really like David Swenson's Ashtanga Yoga as a reference, particularly since it is spiral bound!
Old 10-16-20, 10:18 AM  
eam531
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepla View Post
I also really like David Swenson's Ashtanga Yoga as a reference, particularly since it is spiral bound!
Ditto!

One of my favorite "fitness" books is Mastery by George Leonard. It isn't about exercise. It's about the process of how to attain mastery of something, whether in fitness, the arts, or mastering the self.

From the back cover:

Drawing on Zen philosophy and his expertise in the martial art of Aikido, bestselling author George Leonard explains how the process of mastery will enable you to vault over the pitfalls of the quick fix to attain a higher level of excellence and a deeper sense of satisfaction.

It's a terrific book. Especially his examination of the "pitfalls of the quick fix".

George Leonard was one of the people who practically invented the human potential movement. He was one of the founders of Esalen. I used to read articles by him in New Age magazine.

Fun fact: his daughter is Burr Leonard.

There is no way of telling people they are all walking around shining like the sun--Thomas Merton

People have done all kinds of remarkable things because they thought they could. People routinely fail to do quite ordinary things because they assume they can't--Reinhard Engels

Stay gold, Ponyboy--S.E. Hinton

Pick up your crazy heart and give it one more try--Ryan Bingham

Disclosure: I have a personal relationship with a fitness instructor who has appeared in some videos.
eam531 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
books, fitness books, sciatica, yoga books