Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-03-20, 09:46 AM  
Vantreesta

Silver linings of shelter in place

I have been listening to a lot of meditations and talks on Insight Timer about the Covid-19 pandemic. This morning I listened to Travis Eliot's episode 59 of his Be Ultimate podcast and highly recommend it. I love how he turned the lockdowns into a national retreat, bc doesn't a retreat sound much more uplifting?? I will paste the YouTube link since many don't use Insight Timer.

https://youtu.be/YfZjzFFknjQ

So what positive things have you been seeing as a result of shelter in place orders? How are people staying connected while isolated at home? Share your stories!

I see more people outside walking, including some dogs I have never seen that are finally getting some good walks.

One evening this week we saw a 50th birthday parade party for one of the neighbors with a line of cars driving through the neighborhood, honking and waving signs to celebrate.

My support group met over Zoom this week and a new couple joined us bc he wasn't working at the time and they didn't have to drive the distance to where we usually meet in person.
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-20, 10:10 AM  
Rivercat
VF Supporter

My friend and I were just talking about how we've been reconnecting with people we haven't talked to in years, whether over the phone, via social media or email, or even just text.

~~~Inaugural Star Wars Half Marathon, Jan 2015~~~

"Work your own shovel" - John "The Penguin" Bingham
Rivercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-20, 11:00 AM  
YetAnotherDeb

Thanks for the IT recommendation. I will check it out.

Crazy as it sounds, my life hasn't changed much. I work at WalMart so am still working. I've always been a homebody so that's about the same. I don't have a significant other so no change there.

So, the biggest difference for me is seeing the sheer number of uplifting news stories about people and businesses who are helping others. Amid all the craziness, people are reaching out in whatever way they can. It gives me hope.
_____
YADeb
YetAnotherDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-20, 12:01 PM  
adawn
VF Supporter

Silver linings:
  • My sister is calling my mom more often to chat on the phone.
  • A ton more people outside walking, etc.

Potential downside to more people going outside to walk who normally don't:

One of my mom's friends (in her 70s I think) went outside to enjoy a walk the other day and get out of her house and ended up falling and "cracking her face and knee" which involved bleeding and swelling. Not sure if any actual broken bones or not.
adawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-20, 01:28 PM  
suzannaerin

Quote:
Originally Posted by YetAnotherDeb View Post
Thanks for the IT recommendation. I will check it out.

Crazy as it sounds, my life hasn't changed much. I work at WalMart so am still working. I've always been a homebody so that's about the same. I don't have a significant other so no change there.

_____
YADeb
Thank you for being out there, working to supply the rest of us. You have my upmost respect and gratitude. Stay safe!
suzannaerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-20, 01:30 PM  
sherry7899

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzannaerin View Post
Thank you for being out there, working to supply the rest of us. You have my upmost respect and gratitude. Stay safe!
Yes, thank you Deb!

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-20, 01:39 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

thank you for starting this thread!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantreesta View Post
I see more people outside walking, including some dogs I have never seen that are finally getting some good walks.

One evening this week we saw a 50th birthday parade party for one of the neighbors with a line of cars driving through the neighborhood, honking and waving signs to celebrate.
i too see some dogs being walked that i hadn't seen before. the drive-by congratulations - on our local news, a 4 YO boy had a similar birthday "party" - and you can see him waiting in the garage. his parents are filming him from behind, and you can see his friend's family's cars driving by, and the cars are decorated with "Happy Birthday" as they hand him presents.

last night in Walmart, it was so cool seeing all of the fabric being purchased! i am a crafter, and i was always worried that lack of foot traffic in the craft dept would close it down. i predict that by Saturday, all of the cotton print fabric will be gone. they were sold out of solid-colored cotton fabric and elastic. many people are sewing masks and headbands for friends, family, and hospitals.

the local fabric store a few miles away has a 1 hour wait in getting into the store because they only have about 10 workers.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-20, 01:48 PM  
alisoncooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzar View Post

last night in Walmart, it was so cool seeing all of the fabric being purchased! i am a crafter, and i was always worried that lack of foot traffic in the craft dept would close it down. i predict that by Saturday, all of the cotton print fabric will be gone. they were out of sold cotton fabric and elastic.

the local fabric store a few miles away has a 1 hour wait in getting into the store because they only have about 10 workers.
I bet people are making masks (maybe for donating to hospitals and such?)
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-20, 01:56 PM  
YetAnotherDeb

Thanks for your kind words.

I'm in a very rural area and even here we seem to be seeing a surge in going back to simpler times when we did things for ourselves e.g baking bread, sewing, etc.

On a related note, my sister just found yeast and flour at a Dollar General. I'm going to make bread for the first time in a couple of years. I used to make it all the time. Yippee!!!
_____
YADeb
YetAnotherDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-20, 04:29 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

I've seen some silver linings:
  1. I've gotten a lot done on my blog and YouTube channel that I usually don't have time for
  2. I'm learning ways to increase traffic to those postings.
  3. I've created a list of online apps I want to learn. So far, I've learned Slack and how to do a Google Hangout
  4. DH and I take regular walks together
  5. I've gotten back to vidoes instead of always going to the gym

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coronavirus, covid-19