Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-22-18, 12:36 PM  
Jennifer P.
VF Supporter

My pleasant & surprising fitness accomplishment this summer!

Over 30 years ago, my sister moved to Iowa & started running. I went out to see her, & she got me on to it. The first time we went out, she said we were running 1 mile, but she tricked me, & we ran 2 miles. I did not enjoy it, although I had been physically active & always enjoyed playing tennis, swimming, etc. I went back home & continued to run, I'd run 4 miles twice a day--for some reason 4 miles was easier than 1 or 2 miles. Anyway, I never felt like I was doing much more than trudge along except for one run on a Halloween, it might have been the cool temperature. I gave up running.

Around 1984, I started walking. I lived in Tucson, AZ, & I didn't have a car, I took the bus, & I would walk from bus stop to bus stop. I had my portable cassette player, & that was all I needed to have fun. I felt I could walk fast, & it was so much better than running. I swore I'd never run again.

Well, I have kept walking for the most part ever since then, but I did take a hiatus from it for awhile. (I was skating & bike riding instead, along with video aerobics.) A few years ago, I started up again, but I was disappointed. When I was younger, it took me 70 min. to walk 5 miles. Now, it was taking 76 to 78 min. I think I eventually got it down to 75 min.

Well, this year I started added some brief periods of running in my 5 mile walk. Now, my time is 66 to 69 min. It is a pleasant surprise to me that I am able to do something like this even though I am older. I just wanted to share it with someone.

Let's keep this beautiful planet & all its wonderful creatures alive!
Jennifer P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-18, 02:08 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

congratulations!

i used to run too back in the 80s and wonder if i'd ever be able to do that again. you're getting me thinking about it.

what got me away from running was that i needed to find a challenging aerobic workout to do early in the morning before work, and that's how i tried step aerobics with gin miller's video that i borrowed from the library.

since then, i only do brisk walking, probably at a 4 MPH pace. that's quite an achievement that you can do 5 miles in 66 min!

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-18, 03:31 PM  
Jennifer P.
VF Supporter

Thank you! I don't run the whole time, & I can only do 5 miles in 66 min. if I do about 10 runs sprinkled throughout. I am satisfied with just doing 7-10 runs & not running the whole way. You should try doing a few runs during your walks & see if you like it. Did you enjoy running in the 80's? I didn't like it that much, but the runs I do in my walking are fun.

Old 09-22-18, 03:53 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

i did, and that's when the marathon craze was in vogue. i ran with my brother.

i did fun runs here and there. in the early 90s, i did a half marathon. i was not prepared, but i finished - something like a little over 3 hours. it was a very hilly course and difficult. had it been a flat course, i would've done slightly better, but not much. i was fine with that - i just wanted to finish.

i could do a run walk i believe. i have strong endurance. if i want to intensify, i do bleachers interspersed with straight brisk walking.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-18, 05:33 PM  
Lannette

Congratulations! What a fun accomplishment!

I used to love run/walk intervals and have been thinking that once I retire again I might get back into doing them more regularly. You’ve given me hope.

Do you really want to look back on your life and see how wonderful it could have been had you not been afraid to live it? - Caroline Myss
Lannette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-18, 06:44 PM  
Dorothy J
VF Supporter

Congratulations, Jennifer P.!

That's great and such a wonderful inspiration to keep going!

"You want to go into life feeling great, feeling strong, and as you get older, feeling even stronger!" Gin Miller
Dorothy J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-18, 07:17 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

Good for you, Jennifer P! I hope you are enjoying running this time around.

Watula, Cheeto, Charli, Lux, Merlin, Rudy, Finley the Cat, Hobbes, Winston, and Finley the Dog Fan Girl!

Word of 2024: Patience
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-18, 08:15 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

Congrats!! I used to run way back when and I suppose I didn't like it much either because I did stop. I walk now too and I like adding in the little run intervals when I can. I have been having some low back issues lately. Anyway, that is a great accomplishment. How often do you walk/run? You have me wanting to be more consistent with the walk/runs now.
summer breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-18, 09:20 AM  
Jennifer P.
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by summer breeze View Post
Congrats!! I used to run way back when and I suppose I didn't like it much either because I did stop. I walk now too and I like adding in the little run intervals when I can. I have been having some low back issues lately. Anyway, that is a great accomplishment. How often do you walk/run? You have me wanting to be more consistent with the walk/runs now.
I actually only do this once a week on Saturday mornings. I do video workouts the rest of the time. As much as I like walking & exercising outside, I like aerobics better, & my legs & butt like it better, too--they like a variety of movements better than repetitive movements. Years sgo, I tried "aerobic walking," doing skips, slides & other aerobic type moves during my walk, but the time I tried it I hadn't conditioned my shins w/ shorter walks, & I got shin splints. I had forgotten all about that until I started this thread. I am hoping to try that again soon (I hope I remember it next Saturday!)

Old 09-23-18, 11:06 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer P. View Post
Well, this year I started added some brief periods of running in my 5 mile walk. Now, my time is 66 to 69 min. It is a pleasant surprise to me that I am able to do something like this even though I am older. I just wanted to share it with someone.
Congrats! It's never too late to make fitness achievements! 👍🏼

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote