Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-05-16, 02:31 PM  
Ricka

Thank you so much for your advice, everyone.
Yes! I thought of using no weights on "cardio day" too.
And yes, I absolutely love Tracie Long's DVDs too.

May I ask you how you are arranging your workout routine by content?
Hattie, I enjoyed reading your example. Thank you.

For example, some people might do:
Strength only - Cardio Only (no Areobics with weights) - cardio plus strength combo-rest or something like that.
My question now is how to find out a balanced routine that gives my muscle enough recovery time after good workouts, but at the same time, challenging myaelf enough.
I recently read that if you trying fast twitch muscle, you will want a longer period of rest (suggested hour was 72 hours ) and I do enjoy doing a variety of exercising including those that train fast twitch muscle. I think newest variation of the Firm incorporates more and more of that. Although I believe training fast twitch is important, if I rest 72 hours in between, what do I do in between? I am not sure if I can still do Areobics with weights before 72 hours is up.

I know I am somewhat of an addict, but when I think this way, there are so many videos I can do per day, which results in only xx per month and xxx in a year... Haha. Does anyone else feel this way?
Ricka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-16, 02:39 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricka View Post
My question now is how to find out a balanced routine that gives my muscle enough recovery time after good workouts, but at the same time, challenging myaelf enough.
i think what FirmDancer suggested is an excellent strategy that addresses your concerns.

if you "overthink" it by reading all of these theories in the so-called "fitness literature," you'll find conflicting information.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-16, 04:09 PM  
fatkat555

I did the 90-day Firm rotation back in the day when it came out. I credit it with burning me out on my Firms (which I had done for 10 years with no burnout prior). Personally, I like to pick and choose based on how I feel or if I'm pressed for time. I don't like challenges for this reason and I've seen so many clients (and others doing other workouts) burn out on whatever method they were doing afterward. I started a thread recently on the board regarding Time of Workout because I was curious how others approach their workout times/days. If you look, most people don't do a set rotation, but more what they feel works best for them and what they enjoy. I guess my advice would be to find your favorite firms and do them as you feel with adding in others as you go. If you love cardio, do more cardio based workouts so you'll stick with them more. Just my .02.

You have to make a mess, sometimes, to clean it up.

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
fatkat555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-16, 08:19 PM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

I'm back in love with the 'classic' Firm Volume 2 (so-called "Low Impact") with Janet Jones-Gretzky. It was my first Firm video, purchased back in the 80s.

I use it on mostly alternating days - standing section one day, floor work another. (About 45 minutes each day.) For sure the standing section leaves me pouring with sweat and a pounding heart so I know I'm getting an aerobic workout as well. I feel that, coupled with plenty of walking throughout my day, is enough cardiovascular exercise for me so I don't worry about it.
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-16, 06:06 AM  
Carol K

When I started doing FIRM workouts in 1989, there were only 3 workouts, all defined by the creators as "aerobic weight training"; there were no separate cardio and sculpt workouts. The informational segment at the end of the workouts advised us to do them 3-5 times per week. I did them 2 days on, 1 day off.

Later, as more workouts were released, and they began separating them into categories and then changing the categories and it all got really complicated, I found it most helpful to ignore the noise and just alternate "heavy weight" workouts with "light weight workouts". I never did the 90 day rotation. I never worried about overtraining. I don't use heavier than 15 lb weights and I've never had an injury.

I've only been consistent in my workouts since I began doing rotation designed by other people, first the rotations in the online FIRM club and now the rotations designed by Tonda in the Facebook group she set up. My goal has never been to make my body look a certain way, but to keep moving and keep my heart and bones in good condition as I get older.
Old 09-06-16, 08:00 PM  
Ricka

Thank you for great advice! I am going to see about cutting down my exercise time to under 60 minutes / day and also consider going lighter on aerobic weight trainings if I decide to use them back to back with strength training day.
Ricka is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
firm 90 day rotation, firm rotation