Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Recipe Box

Old 07-03-21, 12:48 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Old thread alert!!!

I just rediscovered my old immersion blender to make smoothies...it was strong, it worked great, and then it broke (not the blade, but the plastic that made the blade revolve).

I'm looking for a replacement, mostly for smoothies. I have a full-size blender and a moderate (4c) mini-chopper, so I want something smaller than those. My priorities would be small, strong, and simple (especially to clean).

Please link to products you would recommend on Amazon if possible!

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-21, 07:46 PM  
BunnyHop

This discussion prompted me to search my Amazon lists, and apparently the one I had saved no longer exists. Sigh. Guess it's been a while since I sought out reviews.

Anybody know what America's Test Kitchen recommends these days??

My ancient Braun that I got for $25 when I got my first apartment is still going strong. Seems as though prices just keep going up, and they keep making them more complex, which isn't what I'd want if I had to replace it.
Old 07-03-21, 08:14 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Anna, prices and complexity going up seems to apply to so many things, from blenders to toasters to TVs to cars!

I didn't really specify in my post, but I'm trying to decide between getting a new immersion blender versus something more like a Magic Bullet.

Follow me @YogiBethC

Old 07-04-21, 09:10 AM  
BunnyHop

Quote:
Originally Posted by toaster View Post
Anna, prices and complexity going up seems to apply to so many things, from blenders to toasters to TVs to cars!

I didn't really specify in my post, but I'm trying to decide between getting a new immersion blender versus something more like a Magic Bullet.
The Vitamix Immersion blender goes for $150. Yikes.

Since I mostly use mine for occasionally pureeing soup in a pot, I mostly rely on my ordinary blender for other similar jobs. The food processor works too, but not as well for super liquidy things.

I wish I could link to something that seems reasonable, but so far, as I read the reviews, they all seem pretty iffy. We want something simple, sturdy, functional and cheap. They offer multiple options that are complicated, fragile and over priced. Guess the market doesn't care what we want, LOL!!
Old 07-04-21, 09:19 AM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Anna, agreed. DH and I complain about this all the time.

I don't use my immersion blender very often - in fact, I can't remember the last time before I started making smoothies with it recently (which worked quite well!).

When visiting my mom last week, I tried her Magic Bullet and really liked the convenience of it. So I am leaning in that direction. I saw this one that is very similar to the MB but more powerful and only slightly more expensive (there is a coupon that makes it even less):
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...k_ql_qh_dp_hza

For anyone wanting a new immersion blender, here is an affordable one with very good reviews that I found:
https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B08XWZRR...v_ov_lig_dp_it

Follow me @YogiBethC

Old 07-04-21, 10:40 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Beth, that KOIOS looks interesting. I've been considering one for the office. I put it on my wish list and will check back on Black Friday.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-21, 08:41 AM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Pat, you are planning well in advance for Black Friday!

I am still on the fence between the mini-blender and an immersion blender. My husband thinks I should get this Nutribullet; it's pricier but simpler:
https://smile.amazon.com/Nutribullet.../dp/B07CTBHQZK

Follow me @YogiBethC

Old 07-13-21, 07:09 PM  
YetAnotherDeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by toaster View Post
I just rediscovered my old immersion blender to make smoothies...it was strong, it worked great, and then it broke (not the blade, but the plastic that made the blade revolve).

I'm looking for a replacement, mostly for smoothies. I have a full-size blender and a moderate (4c) mini-chopper, so I want something smaller than those. My priorities would be small, strong, and simple (especially to clean).

Please link to products you would recommend on Amazon if possible!
Don’t forget to check to see if a blending cup is offered for your full-size blender. Mine has cups available and that is what I use. It works just like the nutri-bullet-type except you use whatever switches, buttons, etc. your blender has.
_____
YADeb
YetAnotherDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-21, 08:17 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by YetAnotherDeb View Post
Don’t forget to check to see if a blending cup is offered for your full-size blender. Mine has cups available and that is what I use. It works just like the nutri-bullet-type except you use whatever switches, buttons, etc. your blender has.
Deb, thanks for the tip. I am trying to avoid my full-size blender b/c it is heavy, and I think that even with a blending cup, the blade mechanism would be a PITA to clean for small jobs.

Follow me @YogiBethC

Old 07-17-21, 08:12 AM  
Susan H
VF Supporter

This is from America's Test Kitchen review from 2019: Our Top-Rated Immersion Blender. I bought it and am satisfied with it. It does come apart and the attachments are upper rack dishwasher safe. I just use it to puree soups and sauces and it does fine for that. I can't imagine making smoothies with it, though.

Braun MultiQuick 5 Immersion Hand Blender

“Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up" —Thomas Edison

“Just because you’re not sick doesn’t mean you’re healthy.” — Author Unknown
Susan H is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blender, blenders, gadgets, immersion blender, smoothies, vitamix