Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Recipe Box

Old 07-19-15, 04:45 PM  
cyana

Immersion Blender Recommendations

My old cheapo immersion blender has croaked, and I need a replacement.

It appears the Cuisinart is the number one seller on Amazon, but I see a fair number of negative reviews - especially when it comes to durability.

I'd appreciate any recommendations. I'd primarily be using it to puree soups and such.

Thanks!

"I've decided to grow old disgracefully." - Twigs
cyana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-15, 06:12 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Hi Cyana! I have a variable speed Kitchen Aid one that I have had for several years. It works great, but I don't use it a lot. The blade end detaches which I like because it makes it easier to clean. IIRC it was middle of the road price wise, around $50 and that was several years ago.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-15, 07:28 PM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogapam View Post
Hi Cyana! I have a variable speed Kitchen Aid one that I have had for several years. It works great, but I don't use it a lot. The blade end detaches which I like because it makes it easier to clean. IIRC it was middle of the road price wise, around $50 and that was several years ago.
I have a Cuisinart two-speed and I love it. It also has a detachable blade which can go in the dishwasher. I highly recommend buying one with this feature! I bought this one after my old one died. I can't remember the brand of that one, but I got it for $8 on eBay. It did not have a detachable blade and it was a pain to clean.

Like yogapam, I don't use it super often, but when I need it, I'm so thankful I have it! It's great for pureeing soups and sauces. I'm experimenting with soap making and am going to use it for that. It's really handy!
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-15, 12:52 AM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuggie's Auntie View Post
I'm experimenting with soap making and am going to use it for that. It's really handy!
I would love to hear more about that, do tell! I would like to make soap.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-15, 05:59 AM  
cyana

My old immersion blender was the one piece variety, so the detachable blade sounds like a vast improvement.

Feel free to take the thread to more details on soap making. I love homemade soaps. I have two vendors at my local farmers market who make really lovely soaps.

"I've decided to grow old disgracefully." - Twigs
cyana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-15, 10:04 AM  
Nuggie's Auntie

We just bought half a grass-fed cow and with it came 11lbs. of suet. I rendered two pounds of it and I now have a tub of beef tallow. I plan to use some of it for cooking and was looking into tallow soaps. I know some people are freaked out by using animal fats, but apparently it really does make for nice soap. I used some of it to make a lip balm and it works really well. I'll post more about it once I've scored some lye.
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-15, 03:52 PM  
Rivercat
VF Supporter

I've had the older 1-speed Cuisinart with the detachable blade for about 8 years and love it. I mostly use it for pureeing soups or making hummus when I'm too lazy to drag out the food processor.

~~~Inaugural Star Wars Half Marathon, Jan 2015~~~

"Work your own shovel" - John "The Penguin" Bingham
Rivercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-15, 04:41 PM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

I have two made by Braun, but I'm not sure that Braun makes kitchen gadgets any longer. I've had them 20 years or so - one is just an immersion blender, and the other is part of a kit where you can attach the blender to a mini chopper and a spice mill. Still going strong.

I have some KitchenAid products and that brand has been reliable for me. My personal experience with Conair (hair styling products) has been very negative in recent years. If you cannot find a Braun I'd recommend KitchenAid.

Here are some reviews to check out at chefscatalog.com!
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-15, 10:30 PM  
videofit

I'm on my second Cuisinart stick blender from Bed Bath and Beyond. Waited until I got one of their coupons. Had my last one for two or three years. I make a lot of pureed soups.
Old 08-04-15, 06:31 PM  
kalliope999

We just replaced our Cuisinart stick blender (an old one with only one speed that lasted us several years) with KitchenAid's, and boy, the new one is powerful (and heavy!) in comparison! It has three speeds, and came with a bigger blending cup, mini-chopper attachment, and a whisk attachment. I'm not actually sure I'll enjoy using it as much, though, because the locking mechanism for the bottom part is tougher to get off, and it vibrates quite a lot in the hand while using it. But it seems like a quality piece of equipment.

We use them to puree soups and sauces, and when I'm feeling lazy about cleaning the Blendtec to make a smoothie I will just use the immersion blender instead.

And it's funny that soap-making came up -- I bought my first cheapie stick blender years ago for just that purpose after taking a class about it! I toy with doing it again, I even have a simple wooden soap mold that my dad made me in his workshop, but I hear it's gotten harder to find the lye one needs (I guess it's used by some to manufacture drugs? Meth? Can't remember.) I think I still have my little booklet somewhere with recipes and instructions.

I'm jealous of your tallow, Nuggie's Auntie, because I've also heard it makes a nice soap. I remember our instructor saying so, but I was a vegan at the time and would never have tried it back then.

Tags
blender, blenders, gadgets, immersion blender, smoothies, vitamix