Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-23-15, 08:39 AM  
TinierTina

To be fair ... these are at bottom, Movies

I am a rabid appreciator of movies (uh, the entertainment kind with cinematic plots, dialog, action, special effects, socko finishes, the works) ...

So, whether by download or purchase, these fitness dvds are artistic works. Just they happen to be of the instructional kind ...

So, you probably watch them and appreciate their production values, perhaps figure out where to (overused, pretentious word ... hahahh) curate them in your collection; and/or how to gamify them (using technology or otherwise) ... because the actual Dance Dance Revolution, etc. games got boring for you ...

I don't have those leanings ...

No "virgins" in my existing paltry collection (a few that I did not back up and are lost forever, are virgins ...)

And acquisitors tend to gather in groups and discuss the hype and rehype and overhype ... and provide the buzz that the commercial interests intended in the first place. Even more than the actual use of the product~!! The good thing is, eventually the instructor is followed; but by then, it's on to the next Big Thing ...

-Bettina

"If it doesn't challenge you, it doesn't change you"?! REALLY!! If it doesn't serve me, it doesn't save me!!
TinierTina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-15, 08:45 AM  
isebelleg44

I am wondering if the days of these epic systems are on their way out, thanks to streaming. Doesn't Jillian have a new system out, but there doesn't seem to be much buzz.

I know that I have really scaled back on my dvd purchases in the past year and am very cautious when I do buy. I am sick of looking at my large collection of dvds. I bought UFC Fit a few months back and have yet to do all the workouts. I paid $80 for it and only bought it, because I had an Amazon gift card. I know the price will continue to go down.

Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.
~Attributed to both T.H. Thompson and John Watson
isebelleg44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-15, 08:56 AM  
TinierTina

Prediction: Much of the same thing will happen with streaming ...

Streaming sites will - for those into them - will become hyperspecialized. After all the excitement, hoopla, controversy and lawsuits die down.

The sites do not want endless churn and free trials and deep discountings forever-the cost of which, is passed on to everybody else who subscribes -- the committed subscribers.

By then, senior citizens (and I am fast becoming one) - who are able to access these sites, will have it, finally, appropriately-priced, appropriately-paced; and counseling-heavy ...

Young people will have age-appropriate narrow-casted sites for them ...

And there will be sites for "people who don't act their age". I feel sorry for those people.

-Bettina

"If it doesn't challenge you, it doesn't change you"?! REALLY!! If it doesn't serve me, it doesn't save me!!
Old 05-23-15, 09:28 AM  
wishiwasinhawaii

I haven't jumped on the streaming bandwagon yet because I just don't like the idea of paying for something and not owning a physical copy of it. The site could always disappear and then you have nothing to show for it, unless it is one that lets you download the videos and save them. So until these types of issues are ironed out, I'll stick with DVDs.
wishiwasinhawaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-15, 09:34 AM  
buffmama

Quote:
Originally Posted by isebelleg44 View Post
I am wondering if the days of these epic systems are on their way out, thanks to streaming. Doesn't Jillian have a new system out, but there doesn't seem to be much buzz.
From what I can tell, Jillian's new system seems to be marketed more to gyms/trainers who are then teaching the system than home exercisers. Definitely a different spin on systems.
buffmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-15, 10:04 AM  
TinierTina

One could get Streaming without personally having much Streaming speed!

... because I won't. Everybody (in one way or another) will have streaming ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffmama View Post
From what I can tell, Jillian's new system seems to be marketed more to gyms/trainers who are then teaching the system than home exercisers. Definitely a different spin on systems.
I could take the streaming issue one further ...

Some would just need a gym membership.

A year or so, until I qualify for Silver Sneakers, and I'd get these classes (some with great privacy!) for free ... with just a security camera as my remote supervisor/anti drill-sergeant; and maybe a tiny handful of other people, if any ...

The ultimate in narrowcasting ..

Wellbeats: Virtual Presentation and Live Experience

Oh, well - no real yoga, no real mat pilates ... but fusion practices, anyway ... still does not mean I am joining Gaiam or Yogaglo — because I still have dvds, downloads, uploads, etc. in yoga and pilates ... you know, I just don't have the transmission speed. But there is something that will drive sites to narrow-cast (for personal subscribers) ... even in yoga and pilates; or serious (more artistic) dance instruction ...

Now, all I gotta do is hone my downmodification chops (no mean feat!)

-Bettina

Old 05-23-15, 11:16 AM  
Taiga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuggie's Auntie View Post
Waiting is my new mantra. If there's something I want, I almost always wait it out, to see if I can get it for a better price. And I almost always can. Heaven knows I have plenty to keep me busy while I wait for a sale or coupon code!
I have SO much to keep me busy that it's not even a hard wait. Except for a handful of workouts that make it into my schedule regularly, I tend to use many new workouts almost like a drop-in class. I buy them mostly for variety and the chance to try new things and move on. Since I expect to only get short term use, I'm not willing to pay more. And it's amazing how much the price drops on many items and how often that happens within a few months!

ETA: I won't buy dvds off Ebay due the rampant bootleg problem there.
Old 05-23-15, 11:22 AM  
shoegoddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by wishiwasinhawaii View Post
I haven't jumped on the streaming bandwagon yet because I just don't like the idea of paying for something and not owning a physical copy of it. The site could always disappear and then you have nothing to show for it, unless it is one that lets you download the videos and save them. So until these types of issues are ironed out, I'll stick with DVDs.
Completely agree

I'm not a typical grandma!

Body by Cathe, Chalene and Dr. Niccole
-Me

A woman is like a tea bag. You never know how strong she is until she gets into hot water
-Eleanor Roosevelt

Well-behaved women seldom make history
-Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Women are Angels
And when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly....on a broomstick...we are flexible like that
-White Witch

Gotta love Maxine:
http://forum.videofitness.com/pictur...&pictureid=230
shoegoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-15, 11:28 AM  
TinierTina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiga View Post
I have SO much to keep me busy that it's not even a hard wait. Except for a handful of workouts that make it into my schedule regularly, I tend to use many new workouts almost like a drop-in class. I buy them mostly for variety and the chance to try new things and move on. Since I expect to only get short term use, I'm not willing to pay more. And it's amazing how much the price drops on many items and how often that happens within a few months!

ETA: I won't buy dvds off Ebay due the rampant bootleg problem there.
Agreed about eBay ... I never even tried ordering off there, after my experiences with computer software ordered off of there for work, on orders from my previous job ... I don't have a good enough DVD player for DVDs that don't work right and would not put them in my notebook computer either ...

-Bettina

Old 05-23-15, 11:52 AM  
bee
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wishiwasinhawaii View Post
You have to view it like going to a fitness class -- you are paying for the class, not for the ability to do it another time. It is definitely a mindset shift.
bee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rks