Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-23-14, 03:00 PM  
marissajd

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan p View Post
I did like Bret Contreras book very much, though; and I'll tell you what I did with it: I started adding glute bridges to EVERY STRENGTH WORKOUT I DID.
LOVE this idea! I just checked Bret's book out from the library and am a bit overwhelmed by all the information and how to fit it in with my current routine, to be honest. I think I'll read the hows/whys of his approach, skim for form pointers for the usual squats and lunge variations, read the glute bridge section and add them to my workouts.
Old 07-23-14, 03:55 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

Quote:
I had good results with BBL. It really does lift and tone your butt without overworking your thighs.

I did like Bret Contreras book very much, though; and I'll tell you what I did with it: I started adding glute bridges to EVERY STRENGTH WORKOUT I DID. And seriously, he spends a lot of time focusing on a few key exercises, bridges being one of them, and they are SO easy to add on to a workout! Just pause at the end of your workout, when your glutes are nicely preexhausted, and add in a set of glute bridges with heavy weights and meticulous form (so you're really targeting glutes and not lower back or hamstrings), then hit play and go right on with the cooldown and stretch of whatever workout you're doing.

Having done both BBL and some or Contreras' stuff (although never a full rotation as written of Contreras' stuff), I think this would be a very easy way to get the best of both worlds.
Yep, I was going to suggest a hybrid, too -- very easy to add on a little of his stuff here and there. I believe he has a bunch of youtube videos, right? So, you could even maybe follow along to those (but do more reps maybe -- I can't exactly remember how his videos are done). Good luck, and yes, congrats on your great work so far!!
bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-14, 04:14 PM  
glamgal
VF Supporter

Thank y'all so much!!

This gives me enough information to make a decision. I'm leaning towards a hybrid of the two plans...mostly a BBL rotation with some of Bret's exercises mixed in. I'm hoping this helps me meet my goals!! I'm excited to get started!
Old 07-23-14, 06:16 PM  
northernlight

Quote:
I had good results with BBL. It really does lift and tone your butt without overworking your thighs.

I did like Bret Contreras book very much, though; and I'll tell you what I did with it: I started adding glute bridges to EVERY STRENGTH WORKOUT I DID.
I'll second what Susan P. said. And I've been doing something similar: a BBL rotation with some substitutions and additions.

I think that BBL is very well designed. However, I've been substituting Jari Love's Slim and Lean for Leandro's Sculpt. Nothing wrong with Sculpt, but I'm not crazy about a lot of compound exercises. I also do my own cardio and ab work.

I add in glute bridges as well. I started out with body weight, then started adding weight.

I think it's important to try to remember to push up with your heels to engage the glutes: this applies to bridges, squats, deadlifts, lunges etc.

And don't forget abduction. Super effective for the upper glutes!

And good for you for having accomplished so much already!!
northernlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-14, 10:34 PM  
bjones

I've been doing Bret's glute activation exercises and they were very helpful in using my glutes more in my Cathe leg routines..HOWEVER...I found that Cathe totally dominates in the quad area. Hams and glutes are very underworked. Or, lets say, my technique wasn't so great. So I decided to try Bret's beginner rotation to the letter. He advises you to try his method without modification/blending other workouts for you to truly see what the program will do for you.
Wow, all I can say is wow. My body feels totally different after just 1 week. The entire backside and posterior chain is working. And oh my, I do great on the "quad dominant" squats but can barely do his glute exercises, just showing how out of balance my body is. It is pretty hard doing a paper workout with exercises you haven't done before. So for the OP, I can't really see doing Bret to start off with. But for others reading this thread, you should at least give his workouts a try and see for yourself what you are missing in functional fitness and posterior chain work. Its just a completely different workout from anything else I've done. Some of the moves are familiar, but the sequencing is totally different..like you START with the floor work before you do any squats.
The book has great color illustrations of Kellie doing the moves from front angle and side angle, plus there are videos on youtube. Still, I needed my DH to watch me on a few moves and make sure I was at 90 degree angles for the hip thrusts and bridges. Because form is everything here.
I'm loving feeling the burn on the backside while not being so sore everywhere I can't even get on and off the toilet like with Cathe and her endless reps and low ends. I just feel better with this program...
Beth
bjones is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brazil butt lift, bret contreras