Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-28-14, 01:44 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveVA View Post
I haven't done Abs Rapido or Upper Cuts yet (just previewed), but they look good. So I can't say without reservation that they are worth it based on the quality of the workouts. I can say however, that Rio Extreme is great. I will try the other two soon.

Now that being said, I actually wish that I had bought the Deluxe Set when I bought the basic BBL dvds from Mary. Instead I purchased the basic set, the deluxe DVDs by themselves, ankle weights, and medium and advanced resistance bands all separately (ankle weights and bands purchased at Amazon). It would have been cheaper for me to buy the Deluxe Set, which comes with all of those things.

For some reason, I thought I wouldn't need the ankle weights, but I quickly realized after only one week of High & Tight, that I wasn't going to be challenged using just the light band that comes with the basic set and doing the floor work without any additional weight for the entire 60 day rotation.

I don't have the Master Series and my interpretation of old VF threads on the Master Series was that the opinion was mixed. The enthusiasm and positive feedback about the original BBL + Deluxe DVDs were much stronger.
thank you for this awesome summary.

the price for just the deluxe discs is actually not bad - $30? that's quite excellent.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-14, 02:00 PM  
LoveVA

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzar View Post
thank you for this awesome summary.

the price for just the deluxe discs is actually not bad - $30? that's quite excellent.
Rio Extreme is 50 minutes but Abs Rapido and Upper Cuts are short, 11 and 13 minutes, respectively. But I still thought it was a pretty good price. A lot of new 50 min to 1 hour workouts on Mary's regular site are 19.95, so in terms of actual workout time, you're getting a workout and about a half for $30. Seems pretty good to me.
LoveVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-14, 02:06 PM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

LoveVA, I hope you don't mind me asking but how different is Rio Extreme from BBL Sculpt? They're both around 50 minutes, right? Does it have more impact, are the moves faster, or are heavier weights used, or _____ (fill in the blank).

Thanks so much - I really appreciate your input.
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-14, 02:10 PM  
Nuggie's Auntie

LoveVA, that's awesome about your results! And you're enjoying the workouts, too?

Thanks, also, for providing some background on yourself. I think it's always helpful to understand someone's starting place when talking about results!
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-14, 04:47 PM  
LoveVA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
LoveVA, I hope you don't mind me asking but how different is Rio Extreme from BBL Sculpt? They're both around 50 minutes, right? Does it have more impact, are the moves faster, or are heavier weights used, or _____ (fill in the blank).

Thanks so much - I really appreciate your input.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuggie's Auntie View Post
LoveVA, that's awesome about your results! And you're enjoying the workouts, too?

Thanks, also, for providing some background on yourself. I think it's always helpful to understand someone's starting place when talking about results!
Lucky Star- Rio Extreme has cardio bursts while Sculpt does not. The bursts are about a minute long and some of them do have some impact: running in place, jump roping (without the rope, of course). The warm-up in RE is more vigorous, too. There seems to be a little more lower body work in this one in the form of squats as part of compound movements with things like Arnold presses. I've only done it once, so I don't remember too much.

As far as pacing, the moves are the same pace as in Sculpt and so you can use the same weights. The main difference is that he switches up the timing a bit more: For example, if you're doing squats, instead of going up and down at the same rate, he'll alter it by doing down 3, up 1 or up 3, down 1. I don't know how to explain that properly.

Nuggie's Auntie-I am really enjoying the workouts. I was worried that, with so few of them (compared to P90X, for example), that I would get bored. So far, so good. I think it helps that I'm switching up my cardio with some of my other DVDs.
Old 02-28-14, 05:01 PM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveVA View Post
I don't know how to explain that properly.
Actually, you've explained it perfectly - thank you for describing the differences and yes, it definitely sounds more advanced!
Old 02-28-14, 07:02 PM  
laurajhawk

I really like Uppercuts and find it useful. If I've been doing a lot of barre, for example, I sometimes feel like I haven't got enough upper body work in my week. Uppercuts is a nice little workout to correct that imbalance. I'll also sometimes pair it with the 10-minute Bum Bum Rapido (from the original BBL set) and sometimes Abs Rapido, to make a 20-30 minute full-body workout.

"Don't say 'I can't' ... say 'I presently suck at this thing.'" - Matt Meese, BYU Divine Comedy
laurajhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-14, 11:12 AM  
LoveVA

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurajhawk View Post
I really like Uppercuts and find it useful. If I've been doing a lot of barre, for example, I sometimes feel like I haven't got enough upper body work in my week. Uppercuts is a nice little workout to correct that imbalance. I'll also sometimes pair it with the 10-minute Bum Bum Rapido (from the original BBL set) and sometimes Abs Rapido, to make a 20-30 minute full-body workout.
That sounds like a really good idea. I will have to try that when my rotation is over.
Old 03-01-14, 11:28 AM  
seabliss

I was curious about Rio Extreme too, and I found this video of a woman actually doing the workout. She edited it nicely to give an idea of what the workout is like.

I actually use three different sets of weights for Sculpt to try to push each exercise as hard as I can!

With the deluxe set, I was thinking something similar about the shorter workouts--like I could add the arms one onto a High and Tight day. It would allow more versatility with changing up the rotation. Thanks for mentioning this set!
Old 03-01-14, 01:08 PM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by seabliss View Post
I was curious about Rio Extreme too, and I found this video of a woman actually doing the workout. She edited it nicely to give an idea of what the workout is like.
That was actually very helpful; thanks for posting the link!

Tags
bbl, brazil butt lift, leandro carvalho