Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-28-13, 01:17 PM  
swankyswimmer

Kelly Coffey Meyer's Trim Down

Classic Kelly was my thought by the end of the workout. She was sweaty by the end and so was I! I've only done the first workout so far, but I'll provide my comments about it.

A few quick thoughts:
Kelly By herself: I tend to like background exercisers and I think Kelly has some of the best, so I didn't know what I would think of her by herself. In the beginning, I thought "meh" but as the workout progressed and she was really kicking my butt, I really didn't even notice!

Modifications: Speaking of Kelly by herself, she didn't show modifications. Granted, I know them for most of these moves, but it is something I know everyone loves about her workouts, so I wanted to point that out.

One-Minute Segments: Here's another one I was hesitant about because for instance I really hated the Results Fitness workout with Cindy because I felt like the short intervals weren't enough time and that basically the workout dragged on because I kept thinking " only 29 more segments to go...only 28 segments to go). Not the case here! She really mixes it up! For the most part she does both sides at once so you don't have to see the same segments twice. There were a couple (deadlifts, lunges, a couple of the boxing segments, maybe I'm forgetting some) that were repeated, but they were good overall.

Plank Work: There is a tiny bit of up and down because she does two plank weight segments. One alternating knee-in and lateral row and the other taking out the knee-in. She didn't put a mat down - but I recommend doing so if 1) you have downstairs neighbors like me! and 2) if you think you'll drop to your knees.

Equipment: I used a set of 5 pound and 10 pound weights. They were challenging and I definitely phoned it in on the boxing segments around the plank work because my arms were tired.

Music: The music was good. Nothing crazy good, but it really livened up at moments where you needed an extra push. The first workout had the "Everybody" song.

Results: In the 31:40, I burned 302 calories, avg HR of 153, and max HR of 177. I tend to notice the stats always look best the first time I do a workout because I don't know what's coming.

I'll try to add a breakdown shortly. I'd say it's a winner. More compound movements than I was expecting given that she said "Lower Body Emphasis" - not that the lower body emphasis is false, I just thought there would be really minimal upper body work - and I feel like my shoulders are fried.
swankyswimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-13, 01:20 PM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Ooooh I'm jealous, mine's not here yet! Thank you for your enthusiastic review. Looking forward to your thoughts on workout 2, when you're ready!
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-13, 01:24 PM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

What the what? You got yours already?! Thanks for the review!
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-13, 01:29 PM  
swankyswimmer

Breakdown of Workout #1:

Warm Up (4:07)
Spiderman Squat - three alt shoulder presses while squatting, alternating sides
Box: Double jabs then 2 Upper cuts
Squat completed then alternate press (quicker squats than first set), alternating sides
Box: double jabs then 4 upper cuts
Romanian Deadlift with upright row/high pull
Box: Jab, hook, side jabs while squatting; alternating sides
Romanian Deadlift with alternating upright row/high pull
Box: Jab, Hook each side
Plank with knee/row
Box: Right side jab, cross, hook, upper
Plank with row
Box: Left side jab, cross, hook, upper
Slow lunge - upper body rotates as you pull back knee in (right side)
Box: Three jabs, jack with your legs
Slow lunge - upper body rotates as you pull back knee in (left side)
Box: Three jabs, jack with your legs (other arm leads)
Squat and Press (variation of a clean and press)
Speed Bag with leg variations
Plie and Press (similar to the clean and press but with a plie)
Speed Bag with leg variations
Cool down and stretch

Hopefully some of those descriptions make sense. As I said, it wasn't overly repetitive, for the most person you learned it and forgot it.
Old 09-28-13, 01:29 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
Swanky, thanks for posting your review. I wasn't interested in this one b/c of the reasons you mentioned--i.e., not BG exercisers, 1-minute segments--so it's good to hear your perspective.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-13, 01:39 PM  
swankyswimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat58 View Post
Ooooh I'm jealous, mine's not here yet! Thank you for your enthusiastic review. Looking forward to your thoughts on workout 2, when you're ready!
I'll probably get to workout #2 tomorrow, but I saw someone else also received theirs today....maybe they'll do workout 2!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
I was very excited!! I live in Philly (very close to NJ), so I had my fingers crossed that I'd get Cathe's or Kelly's today! No Cathe, but I'll take this!
Old 09-28-13, 01:46 PM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Thanks for the breakdown - I'll start thinking of substitutions for the plank moves. Maybe I'll use a stability ball there.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-13, 02:15 PM  
sherry7899

Thank you for your review! I had received every other kcm preorder the day after they were mailed-but mine did not come today.

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-13, 02:46 PM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by swankyswimmer View Post
Results: In the 31:40, I burned 302 calories, avg HR of 153, and max HR of 177. I tend to notice the stats always look best the first time I do a workout because I don't know what's coming.
That's interesting. For me the opposite is true - I work harder when I already know what's coming and can give it my all.
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-13, 04:14 PM  
weezy

Thanks for the great review. I am on the fence on this one. I sort of need to know what the pre-mixes for this one to help me decide. Can someone please post them???

Thank you in advance.....
weezy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
30 minutes to fitness, favorite kcm, kcm, kcm 30 mtf, trim down