Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-07-13, 02:42 PM  
Sophie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomOf2Gremlins View Post
I think you both have brought up an excellent point! It's so important to accept our own body type and what works best for us!
I agree also. I guess that when I answer the question "do you want muscle", I mean "yes, more than I have right now"

It's also "yes, and I want the muscles I have now to work better" - meaning, in a more biomechanically safe way to keep my joints protected, and with better activation (I know I sound like a broken record on that one).

I also agree with Helen S that a lot of my attraction to other forms of training is the different planes of movement that they offer, and therefore different patterns of recruitment. So I guess that's the other part of my answer: I want all available muscles to be participating!

be as relaxed as you can be, as you do what you gotta do.

~erich schiffman
Sophie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-13, 03:04 PM  
mle777

I was listening to Jillian Michael's podcast recently and she was talking about accepting your body type. She said (and I was driving so I have this no where close to word for word) that she heard a story about a fish, a cheetah, and an eagle. She said that when the eagle or the cheetah get in the pond, they can't swim like the fish. They splash around trying to get somewhere, but don't. When the fish and cheetah try to fly like the eagle, then they just jump up from the ground and fall right back on the ground. When the eagle and the fish try to run, they get no where. Each of them is who they are and instead of trying to do something that their bodies weren't meant to do, they need to accept that they are a fish or a cheetah or an eagle and be the best fish/cheetah/eagle they can be

FWIW - I just finished an 8 week rotation of Body Beast. I love feeling strong. I don't know if I look strong, but I do feel strong Unfortunately, right now I'm also feeling achy joints from two months of heavy weights. So I'm taking it down a notch for a couple of weeks, but I'll always go back to the heavy weights

3x Tough Mudder
mle777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-13, 03:56 PM  
fitmiller

I have muscles and I want to retain them as I get older!
fitmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-13, 04:09 PM  
akaAnnie

I would like more, but even when I'm stronger and have more I don't look like I have them. I know they say be careful what you wish for, but I wish I'd "bulk" at least a bit.
akaAnnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-13, 08:12 PM  
buffmama

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomOf2Gremlins View Post
I see you got inspired by that thread too, huh?

I got the 12 min one, fat burning workout, definition, college dorm workout, bottoms up (many of the books are available on paperbackswap!) and the latest I got tempted to get the bathing suit one too!

I think I'll start with the Definition workout as that one is using lighter weights and might work best for me to ease into it?
Val,
I haven't looked at Definitions yet but just got it from the library so I may join you when I'm ready. So far I've looked at Weight Training Made Easy, Bottoms Up, Gut Busters and the 12 min one. I was curious about the College Dorm workout hoping it built on Toning for Teens but I'm not interested in working with dynamic tension right now. Weight Training Made Easy was definitely the most explanatory with 4 levels. You definitely don't need it with the others but since I'm a newbie to Joyce it gave me a framework to put the workouts in.

After 2 days of doing her workout I'm finding I don't count so well. I either go right past my number or pyramid for lower body unweighted instead of going to 15 reps. Another round or two and I should be even quicker with the workout and know the exercises better but who knows about the counting...
buffmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-13, 09:18 PM  
MomOf2Gremlins

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffmama View Post
Val,
I haven't looked at Definitions yet but just got it from the library so I may join you when I'm ready. So far I've looked at Weight Training Made Easy, Bottoms Up, Gut Busters and the 12 min one. I was curious about the College Dorm workout hoping it built on Toning for Teens but I'm not interested in working with dynamic tension right now. Weight Training Made Easy was definitely the most explanatory with 4 levels. You definitely don't need it with the others but since I'm a newbie to Joyce it gave me a framework to put the workouts in.

After 2 days of doing her workout I'm finding I don't count so well. I either go right past my number or pyramid for lower body unweighted instead of going to 15 reps. Another round or two and I should be even quicker with the workout and know the exercises better but who knows about the counting...
LOL, I seem to go over her recommended reps right now too! Well, today was only the 1st day I've done her UB one from the College Dorm workout (boy, even using only 5's had me feeling it at the end of all sets!) but I certainly have to get used to her workouts again too!
I might stick with that one (College Dorm) for a few weeks and first see where it gets me until I move over to Definition. Right now I'm afraid there's not much definition to reveal..

Oh and I'm totally crazy 'cause by now I also got her 'Bone Building' as well as the 'Now or Never' and the 'Toning for Teens' books used from Amazon. I was tempted to buy fitness magazines today when I went grocery shopping but nothing caught my interest and then I figured, I should better stock up my JV personal library! (Hey, I haven't bought any fitness DVDs in months, I deserve a little used fitness books splurge, no? LOL)

Maybe we'd start a Joyce & similar ST check-in?

"Change what you can. Accept what you can't. Live peacefully with all that's left."

MomOf2Gremlins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-13, 10:22 PM  
Helen

Quote:
Originally Posted by alisoncooks View Post
Um... please excuse the tangent while I say: HELLO, stranger!!
Hey Alison!!!
• Resistance training is critical. 💯

¹ Walk first
² Weights next
³ Cardio for fun
⁴ Add stretch & balance.
Helen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-13, 01:39 AM  
ilovemygreatdane

I want muscles that can be seen! Muscles are not only beautiful but useful too. I'm hoping that I can be like my 89 year old neighbor. She walks 2miles a day and lifts 3-5 lb weights 3 times a week. She mowed the lawn by hand today. Her life has been hard but she has always physically been active. She is awesome.
ilovemygreatdane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-13, 06:52 AM  
Mollie F.
VF Supporter

Sophie has said it all better than I could, and I thank her for that. Yeah, I want muscle. I don't fear bulking, never have. Of course, I've never really been sure what people mean by that (and folks have tried to explain, and I still don't know, so I'm probably unteachable). I not only like how muscle looks, I like how it works.
Old 06-08-13, 09:34 AM  
rhbrand

Would anyone be interested in a check in? Something like looking for more muscle?

If so we can start one on here

Tags
college dorm workout, joyce vedral, muscle building, muscles equal sexy, workout space