Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Anyone else want muscles?

I do! I do!

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-13, 11:38 AM  
BigBadBetty

I wouldn't mind a body builder's body. There was a woman that worked at the gym that I used to go to. She competed in natural body building competition. She just looked very fit but not like He-man in a wig. The only thing that made her look odd was her orange complexion.

I am working very slowly at building up my strength. I like to eat too much to ever look good.
BigBadBetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-13, 11:39 AM  
Pam

I love having muscles! Like others have said, I want to stay in the best I can now and as long as I can. I like being to do projects outdoors and in that I couldn't without the strength. I can play more--yesterday I went on a long mountain bike ride. I also can hike and trail run, now that summer has finally arrived here and ski and snowshoe in the winter.

The only trouble is, not many friends want to do these activities, too.
Pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-13, 12:35 PM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alta-tude View Post
Anyone else want muscles?

I do! I do!

Just what I was going to post, lol.
More muscle = a good thing, especially for us aging folk.
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-13, 01:03 PM  
alisoncooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by lreidgreen View Post
Well while I would like to have some more muscle, I also want to lose some of the fat covering them. I don't have a desire to be "skinny" (as if )

Like you I really want to be STRONG and remain so into old age.
This, exactly, for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen View Post
I definitely liked looking muscular... when I was.
Um... please excuse the tangent while I say: HELLO, stranger!!
alisoncooks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-13, 01:54 PM  
Helen S
VF Supporter

I want muscle too. Unfortunately, I don't have the body type to gain a lot of muscle except in my thighs. I always wanted a fitness competitor's body. I used to subscribe to Ms. Fitness and other fitness competition magazines. I even did a competition in my early 30's. But my body shape was more like an aerobics instructor and not a fitness competitor. Back then, I didn't appreciate my body since I always wanted more muscle.

I had to learn to accept my body type. With that said, my current rotation is more cardio and body weight training (yoga, TA, Buti, Tonique, suspension training). I just like to work my body at different angles instead of just linear movements. I also like circular movements and flows. I want to find a yoga class that uses suspension/silks near my house.
Old 06-07-13, 02:09 PM  
lrb04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen S View Post
I want muscle too. Unfortunately, I don't have the body type to gain a lot of muscle except in my thighs. I always wanted a fitness competitor's body. I used to subscribe to Ms. Fitness and other fitness competition magazines. I even did a competition in my early 30's. But my body shape was more like an aerobics instructor and not a fitness competitor. Back then, I didn't appreciate my body since I always wanted more muscle.

I had to learn to accept my body type. With that said, my current rotation is more cardio and body weight training (yoga, TA, Buti, Tonique, suspension training). I just like to work my body at different angles instead of just linear movements. I also like circular movements and flows. I want to find a yoga class that uses suspension/silks near my house.
I am like you! I have learned to accept my body type & I am working with in my limits of lifting weights. Everytime I lift heavier then I should I injury myself. I want to be strong enough to carry things & do for myself as long as I can. Working other different angels & doing different things makes my body better, not because of building muscle but my body can react to different situations. I found out how much my body needs stretching more than gaining more muscles. So my focus is maintaining strength & improving my limber status. So any extra stretching is a must in my daily plan of exercise.

Kudos to you all that can & will gain more muscle strength & muscles! Everyone is different & needs to find what works or them!
lrb04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-13, 02:23 PM  
Helen S
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrb04 View Post
I am like you! I have learned to accept my body type & I am working with in my limits of lifting weights. Everytime I lift heavier then I should I injury myself. I want to be strong enough to carry things & do for myself as long as I can. Working other different angels & doing different things makes my body better, not because of building muscle but my body can react to different situations. I found out how much my body needs stretching more than gaining more muscles. So my focus is maintaining strength & improving my limber status. So any extra stretching is a must in my daily plan of exercise.

Kudos to you all that can & will gain more muscle strength & muscles! Everyone is different & needs to find what works or them!
Last year, I also made a resolution to do more stretching. Previously, I would have yoga or stretching wos scheduled in my rotation. But if I was short on time, I would skip stretching in favor of cardio or strength. That's why I like power yoga or Buti because they help with more than one goal.
Old 06-07-13, 02:25 PM  
MomOf2Gremlins

Quote:
I had to learn to accept my body type. With that said, my current rotation is more cardio and body weight training (yoga, TA, Buti, Tonique, suspension training). I just like to work my body at different angles instead of just linear movements. ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrb04 View Post
I think you both have brought up an excellent point! It's so important to accept our own body type and what works best for us!
I still love to stretch a lot and also want to include more pilates & yoga in my ST as I know it does me good, mentally as well as physically. But my main thing was to discover that doing workouts like TA will never get me to look like TA or anything close! I just don't have the body for it!

It's so easy to forget what we have and rather focus on someone else and wanting to look like them, meanwhile setting ourselves up for failure simply because the other person has a completely different body composition or maybe even already simply other genetic dispositions!

"Change what you can. Accept what you can't. Live peacefully with all that's left."

MomOf2Gremlins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-13, 02:40 PM  
Julia

Quote:

I like your thinking.
Julia is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
college dorm workout, joyce vedral, muscle building, muscles equal sexy, workout space