Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-06-13, 08:23 PM  
buffmama

Definitely! I was stronger in the past. Recently I've been doing more whole body, bodyweight, and yoga workouts. Got heavier weights for Mother's Day and started lifting this week. I'm working with Vedral's Toning for Teens to ease myself into it. Great simple program to work with while I look at all her other books the library has.
buffmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-13, 08:25 PM  
msladybug

I want muscles! I like the more athletic muscular look.
msladybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-13, 08:58 PM  
lilmonkey2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktlc View Post
I recently saw Angela Bassett as Tina Turner in "What's Love Got To Do With It". Wow!!! The arms on that woman!! She was ripped. I want to look like that!
Every time I see that movie, I am in awe of her arms in that movie. I'm in awe of Tina Turner herself as well! I saw her in concert at some point in the 90s and she did. not. stop. Amazing.
lilmonkey2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-13, 09:06 PM  
MomOf2Gremlins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usia View Post
I do! I had some nice muscles several years ago, then for some reason, I started doing more cardio than strength workouts, and I lost some muscle tone. I felt weaker, too.
That could have been me who said that!!!

Back when I met DH (13 years ago) he introduced me to lifting heavier weights at the gym and helped me overcome my former ED, which had me thinking that I'd need to starve myself and only do cardio and not heavy weights as I feared I'd end up like a female Arnold! LOL
Sure enough after a few months of quality gym time, I was in the best shape of my life, my body took well to lifting and I (finally!) realized I'll never look like a ballerina because I don't have the body for it (5'8 tall, building muscle easily, not the long & lean kind). So I actually finally embraced what works best for me and my body type. (Before kiddo #2 came along I actually contemplated getting serious and training for Figure comp., but then life got in the way and my focus changed.)

Now unfortunately it's been a few years that I've lifted heavier than 5 lbs (many times only 3 lbs -NO offense to those who prefer that weight range!!! I know, in barre 3 lbs can be a killer!) and I've shifted my priority to mainly cardio... and turned into 'mush', skinny fat!
I'm still wearing the same size but I'm just not as strong as I used to be nor do I have anywhere near the muscles anymore and I want to get them back! Already for the sake of getting older (now soon to be only 2 years away from the big 4-0! ) and staying strong and having healthy bones! Plus what I really liked back then: I hardly had to do any cardio (usually 15-20 min warm-up max) and could still eat tons without worrying about it!

Now that being said, I don't like nor do I want to look like a female body builder! That look isn't what I strive for and aside from that I know, I wouldn't be disciplined enough to reach it either!
One person I adore is Jamie Eason and wish I could have a body like hers!

Thanks to a recent thread here about Joyce Vedral I'm back in the mindframe of lifting heavier (I used to have several of her books and re-acquired them over the past 2 weeks), got myself a nice bench as well as some adjustable DBs and will start one of the plans soon! [Not sure which one yet?]

"Change what you can. Accept what you can't. Live peacefully with all that's left."

MomOf2Gremlins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-13, 09:12 PM  
MomOf2Gremlins

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffmama View Post
Definitely! I was stronger in the past. Recently I've been doing more whole body, bodyweight, and yoga workouts. Got heavier weights for Mother's Day and started lifting this week. I'm working with Vedral's Toning for Teens to ease myself into it. Great simple program to work with while I look at all her other books the library has.
I see you got inspired by that thread too, huh?

I got the 12 min one, fat burning workout, definition, college dorm workout, bottoms up (many of the books are available on paperbackswap!) and the latest I got tempted to get the bathing suit one too!

I think I'll start with the Definition workout as that one is using lighter weights and might work best for me to ease into it?

"Change what you can. Accept what you can't. Live peacefully with all that's left."

MomOf2Gremlins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-13, 09:30 PM  
rhbrand

Here's what I'm doing. I'm doing an upper body lower body split.

Upper body looks something like this.
Warm up with band assisted pullups and pushups.

Then a few warmup set of bench press.
Bench 3 sets, 65-75lbs,depending on how strong I feel, 8reps
Lat Pulldown, 65lbs 3 sets, 8 reps
Incline flyes 25lbs dumbbells, 3 sets, 8 reps
Dumbbell row, 25-30lbs 3 sets 8 reps
Military press 20lbs, 3 sets 8reps

Lower body is something like this
Warm up with glute bridges, usually 20bs on a barbell
Then warm up sets of squats
I've dropped my weight on squats a lot! I'm working hard on going low on squats, way below parallel. So I'm down from the 150lbs I was doing to only about 80lbs, but I'm going much much lower in my squat too.

3 sets of squats, 80lbs 8 reps
Straight leg deadlifts, 50lbs 3 sets 8 reps
Hip Thrust 50lbs 3 sets, 8 reps
Step ups, 20lbs3 sets 8 reps

I either weight lift 3-4 days a week depending on my work schedule and cardio only once, if that.
Old 06-06-13, 09:36 PM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

Me!! Rachel and the other two women in Drop 2 Sizes are so inspiring. I don't even care if I drop 2 sizes. I just want to be able to keep up with them!

Drop Two Sizes, Fit Body Blueprint, STRONG Eat. Lift. Thrive. and Revamp grad

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-13, 10:25 PM  
CharM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhbrand View Post
Here's what I'm doing. I'm doing an upper body lower body split.

Upper body looks something like this.

I either weight lift 3-4 days a week depending on my work schedule and cardio only once, if that.
Thanks!
That's what I had in mind after reading an article last week that recommended strength 3x, with 3 sets 6-8 reps, and little cardio. Right now I'm doing cathe's pure strength for upper, and a lower body day, and a Leslie on the other days. These have 2-3 sets w /12 reps, but I go heavier so I can barely eke out 10. Somehow I don't think that's gonna cut it.

Damn you're strong. Those weights are impressive.

*correction: the PS workout I did today has 10 reps, one with 16 for one set, triceps dips are 20 & 24
CharM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-13, 11:14 PM  
Sophie

I have now officially gone a year without periods. Why is that relevant? Because my post-menopausal physiology is now biased towards muscle loss unless I do something about it. I will take all the muscle I can get.

be as relaxed as you can be, as you do what you gotta do.

~erich schiffman
Sophie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-13, 12:48 AM  
Kathleen86

I used to lift heavier to go for the more athletic look..I never quite got there though! It's hard for me to get lean enough that the work shows.. Maybe someday I'll get that visible deltoid muscle...!
Kathleen86 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
college dorm workout, joyce vedral, muscle building, muscles equal sexy, workout space