Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-08-13, 01:15 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Denise is someone whose videos have actually improved over the years, thanks in part to getting help from lisa wheeler as consultant.

i have always been a big fan of her books, and if you take the time to read them, you'll understand why she's endured over the years.

i think her disposition and mental outlook on life have been key to her external facial looks appearing so youthful.

ironically, i find her to be more real than celebrities who have to constantly put up a fake facade. people complain that she's too "perky" to be real, but i think that that's simply how she really is. the truth is that she basically has nothing to hide.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-13, 01:43 PM  
Gams

Her home is lovely - not my taste at all, but lovely...

I've always enjoyed her yoga inspired workouts, but I don't enjoy her other workouts because of her poor cueing.

She does seem like a very nice lady and whether or not she's had plastic surgery, she doesn't LOOK like she's been worked on. (My sister and I were watching a clip of Jaclyn Smith and Cheryl Ladd on some show the other day and they had matching "trout pouts" - do people actually WANT their lips to look that way??)
Gams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-13, 01:51 PM  
EnglishIvy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzar View Post

.... i find her to be more real than celebrities who have to constantly put up a fake facade. people complain that she's too "perky" to be real, but i think that that's simply how she really is. the truth is that she basically has nothing to hide.
I don't care for her workouts (kind of get bored) but I feel the same way about her. Leslie Sansone as well. They seem to be who they are, without the Hollywood snark.

Love the natural light in her workout room!! And I would so put that floor in my workout room if I had a dedicated space. The size alone would make you want to dance and twirl
EnglishIvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-13, 01:54 PM  
Jeanne Marie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gams View Post
Her home is lovely - not my taste at all, but lovely...
This is exactly what I was thinking. Way too much heavy drapery fabric and just kind of dated looking. However, it was 5 years ago, so maybe she has updated some of that.

Now that workout room.... AMAZING!! How wonderful!
Old 02-17-13, 09:33 AM  
imhere2dance

I just came across an untouched photo of Denise in natural light:

She still looks lovely to me. She turned 56 on February 13.
imhere2dance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-13, 09:51 AM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Ah! She does look great but at least she looks her age now.
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-13, 10:28 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

That is a great picture of Denise!! I never thought she had that "trademark" plastic surgery look either. She always looked natural to me. I just think those exercise DVD covers are grossly photoshopped. No one ever really looks like themselves on them, well almost no one. I remember people commenting on how different Jillian looked on some of her covers too. I've been looking seriously at some of Denise's more recent DVDs. I am interested in several of them...
summer breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-13, 10:44 AM  
rose181

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzar View Post
Denise is someone whose videos have actually improved over the years, thanks in part to getting help from lisa wheeler as consultant.

i have always been a big fan of her books, and if you take the time to read them, you'll understand why she's endured over the years.

i think her disposition and mental outlook on life have been key to her external facial looks appearing so youthful.

ironically, i find her to be more real than celebrities who have to constantly put up a fake facade. people complain that she's too "perky" to be real, but i think that that's simply how she really is. the truth is that she basically has nothing to hide.
I totally agree! I really like seeing some Denise love on VF. I do feel she is given a hard time for being perky. I have many of her workouts and do enjoy them from time to time. She does seem very real to me. Her workouts are sentimental to me because I used to workout with her show in highschool. The Firm for others but for me it was Denise. She is good at getting me out of a workout funk. Denise will always be part of my collection.

Oh, And I love her workout room too!
rose181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-13, 11:12 AM  
imhere2dance

Quote:
Originally Posted by rose181 View Post
I totally agree! I really like seeing some Denise love on VF. I do feel she is given a hard time for being perky. I have many of her workouts and do enjoy them from time to time. She does seem very real to me. Her workouts are sentimental to me because I used to workout with her show in highschool. The Firm for others but for me it was Denise. She is good at getting me out of a workout funk. Denise will always be part of my collection.

Oh, And I love her workout room too!
Rose, ITA with everything you said! I also did her workouts in high school, I still enjoy them, and I'll always be loyal because she helped me get into shape. I learned to love exercising because of her. I had never heard of The FIRM before I came to VF, but they're not for me. Denise, however, is just perfect.
imhere2dance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-13, 12:08 PM  
F1mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatInTheHat View Post
Wow, she lives really close to me. Of course my entire condo is the size of her workout room.

I was never a fan of her workout style, but I want an article on her beauty regimen. Is it me, or does this woman never age? She looks just as fantastic now as she did 25 years ago when she first started her workout shows on ESPN.
Right??? She looks just like she did 30 years ago!

I had no idea they lived in the DC metro area. I always saw her as a California girl. Her house is very nice, very traditional and classic.
F1mom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
denise austin, workout space