Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-04-11, 07:27 AM  
Pascal

Please Compare The Firm's BSSs For Me

In another thread, I asked for folks to give me their top 5 toughest Firm workouts. I was expecting responses to be comprised of all 'Classics', but a few listed some BSS (and Pink) Firm workouts. I am interested in purchasing at least one BSS series. Can someone compare them for me? Julie and Emily gave me their thoughts (thanks, ladies) in the other thread, but does anybody else have a favorite or least favorite of the BSS systems?

As for equipment, I have slanted risers, a Fanny Lifter, several Body Bars (to be used in lieu of the sculpting stick), lots of dummbells, the Firm barbell, and the high step topper and plenty of risers.

Also, I really, really like the Cross Trainers/Tri Trainers led by Heidi Tanner, Pam Cauthen, Allie, Lisa Kay, Jen Carman, and Nancy Tucker. I see some of them lead BSS workouts too! I may like some of the newer instructors too, I am just unfamiliar with them.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions/comments!
Old 06-04-11, 07:35 AM  
Carol K

If I were you, I would get the BSS2, because you have all the equipment necessary and since you like the CrossTrainers, that means you are willing to do long workouts. The BSS2 includes Complete Aerobics & Weight Training (58 min.), Total Sculpt (55 min.) and Maximum Cardio Burn (52 min.). This is a well-balanced system and you get a lot of workout for your money.
Old 06-04-11, 07:53 AM  
bethellen

I tend to use them as 2 systems: BSS1&2 and BSS3&4.
They really go well together when grouped together. There is alot of variety and it makes for a well-rounded rotation.

What's nice about 1&2 is they use the fanny lifter; which you already have.

But 3&4 have a lot of good workouts and have a more cardio+weights feel to them.
bethellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-11, 08:21 AM  
Taramisu
VF Supporter

You have some good suggestions already...my favorites of the BSS are as follows

Maximum Cardio Burn (BSS2)
Total Sculpt/Abs (BSS2)
Aerobic Body Shaping (BSS4)

I also like the add ons Cardio Sculpt Blaster from BSS1 and Express Cardio from BSS3. CSB is 30 minutes, uses the Fanny Lifter and light weights. Express Cardio uses the Transfirmer and light weights but the workout can be done with a normal step.

I also really like Cross Trainers Firm Cardio and Firm Strength, IMO those two are among the best Firms of all time. Total Body Shaping Mix is good too. Heidi Tanner leads FC and Pam Cauthen leads FS, TBSM is a compilation of all the middle era or BBH Firms (Cross Trainers and Tri Trainers). FS and TBSM are still available on DVD from Collage I believe, FC is not but you may be able to find a used copy at Amazon.

You can't go wrong with any of the systems really, the ones I listed are simply my favorites of all the BSS and the ones I kept.
Taramisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-11, 09:20 AM  
superfit41
VF Supporter

I just did Aerobic Body Shaping today, from the TransFirmer (BSS4) series. I have to say, I love the BSS1-4 systems the most, although, I love a lot of the pre-GT, and classic workouts as well! The pinks I am not as fond of, although I use a lot of them as well. It sounds like you have enough equipment to do at least all of the workouts from BSS1-2. I have heard other people say they can use the risers and regular step for the BSS3 and TransFirmer series, but I can't comment on that. You can try it and see if it works for you. If you really like them, I would highly recommend getting a TransFirmer. It is a great, sturdy piece of equipment!

Sherry
superfit41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-11, 09:29 AM  
afirmrose

If you find a Transfirmer off of eBay or Craigslist, I would definitely get BSS3. It is the toughest and most fun of the BSS's. Or since you have the slanted risers You can get a club step and us that in the place of the Transfirmer for the BSS3 workouts.

-----------------------------------------------
"Oxygen is free. Breath it in!" Jennifer Galardi DOTI Hip Hop Party

"A 30-minute workout is just 2% of your day. No excuses." Clubz

Lisa Shaffer 2013 10,000 Kettlebell Swing challenge completed.
afirmrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-11, 06:54 PM  
MaggieG

With your slanted risers and fanny lifter, you're equipped for any of the BSS's.

If it has to be only one, I would suggest BSS2.

Although, I have to insert evil laughter here . . . hehehehe . . . because you will probably eventually have them all. Welcome to the FIRM side.

p.s. I tried several times to answer your request for the 5 toughest FIRMS, but kept changing the list and had to stop trying because I got brain freeze.
MaggieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-11, 07:39 PM  
cardiomama

My faves from BSS3 are two led by Stephanie Huckabee (she branched out into PowerFit, not a Firm instructor): Express cardio (uses light weights for 4 limb exercises & cardio segments on floor & w/ slanted step, 30 min,) & Total Muscle Shaping (alternates moderate resistance training & cardio segments, 46 min.). Complete Body Sculpting from BSS3 is a solid workout, too (led by Christa, 50 min., cardio & resistance workout, cardio segments are more basic than TMS, music is high & cues are low), but I use TMS more than it.

From BSS4, I like SuperCharged Sculpting (total body resistance, about 40 min.) led by Pam Cauthen-Meriwether, Ultimate Calorie Blaster led by Stephanie H.(similar to BSS3 Express cardio, w/ ab segment, 45 min.), Jiggle Free Buns (led by Pam, lower body cardio & resistance, 32 min.) & Jiggle Free Arms (led by Stephanie upper body cardio & resistance) are great workouts (short but feel worked), also.

BSS2 was the set I liked least of all (thought the stick use was weak, especially w/ the ends removed, it seemed like just a way to market selling/including the gadget w/ the kit), the main workouts & add-ons lacked the punch that the BSS1 had (and the latter BSS, like BSS3 & 4).

BSS1 has some good add-on workouts (generally 30-35 mins.) w/ varying focuses (cardio/4 Limb w/ light weights, lower body standing or floor, cardio/4 limb w/ moderate weights).

If you're looking for more Firm workouts led by Nancy, she did lead some of the add-on workouts for BSS1 (Body Sculpt Blaster, Super Cardio Sculpt) & BSS2 (Calorie Killer, Firm Abs).
cardiomama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-11, 08:02 PM  
sunshower

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardiomama View Post

BSS2 was the set I liked least of all (thought the stick use was weak, especially w/ the ends removed, it seemed like just a way to market selling/including the gadget w/ the kit)
i agree. i hated BSS 2 for that very reason. i didn't feel like i got as good of a workout as i did with the other systems because of unnecessary use of the stick. plus i just thought the workouts were boring. i ended up trading in the DVD's on Amazon. kept the stick, though.

my favorite is BSS 4 followed by BSS 3, although i definitely think BSS 3 is harder. i love the use of the incline step, but they do tend to include some complex step choreography (especially BSS 3 and the add-ons), so it can be frustrating if you're not used to step. i had never done step before when i got these (scored a great deal on ebay!!), so it was definitely a challenge, but i got the hang of it quickly. i think these two systems have the best cardio, especially if you include the add-ons from BSS 3.
Old 06-05-11, 06:28 AM  
anne

Firm BSS2 uses the fanny lifter and the sculpting stick--I did this set for quite a while just after it first came out and really enjoyed it, especially Maximum Cardio Burn plus Abs. The sculpting stick in this set helped me to start lifting heavier weights (I believe the sculpting stick is 8 pounds and I had never lifted more than 5). I definitely got stronger when I was doing bss2. Really like the Calorie Killer and Firm abs add ons, too.

Firm BBS3 is also a great set and the workouts have a bit more of a fun factor with the slanted step. The music is faster and fun. The only awkward part is the abs on the slanted step--it is very difficult--I used to put a yoga mat on the slant so that I wouldn't slide off. The workouts go by fast. I like all three of the main set equally and the Express Cardio add on a lot. BSS3includes Firm Yoga which is also great. This set really seems to focus on the lower body (I really love the workouts but my lower body got too big--for me I need to rotate with straight floor/dance cardio). This one has a dark set. Total Muscle Shaping is especially good for the upper body.

The Transfirmer (BSS4) set is a sort of modified version of the BSS3 set but the workouts have a slower pace. It uses the transfirmer which can also be slanted. The set is bright. Ultimate Calorie Blaster is my favorite of the series (I always feel very cheerful after finishing it), but all workouts are good. The Jiggle Free Arms add on is another of my favorite workouts. I really like the set on BSS4. The Transfirmer is kind of bulky but very sturdy. If you don't have the Transfirmer you might not be able to do some of the sections of the Jiggle Free Buns add on. I never use the FL/Transfirmer at 14 inches for the leg presses because my butt gets too big--I either use the 8 inch section during the leg press segments or jog in place.

The BSS1 set, using the FL, includes very basic, thorough, effective workouts that have a calm feeling to them. I like the add ons such as Super Cardio Sculpt, Cardio Sculpt Blaster, and Total Body Sculpt more that the main set. I also like that you just need the small, light Fanny Lifter and weights.

The Transfirmation set is the pink firm set and does not use a step of any kind. These are different from the earlier BSS sets (kind of remind me of easier, modernized versions of the original Firm). I had good results with a rotation of pink firms but don't think they work as quickly at muscle shaping as the other BSS sets. But my lower body didn't get as bulky when I was doing these and they helped my stomach bloating so I think they work the abs/core differently. My favorite of the main set is Cardio Overdrive--love that workout! I also like Hardcore Fusion but never could get into Hi Def Sculpt. Another really good one is Total Body Time Crunch (and Pump, Jump, and Jab is fun, too) and Cardio Dance Fusion is good. (these are not part of the Transfirmation kit).

The Wave set came next, I think. This has a learning curve because you use a step that rocks back and forth for some segments. It's an interesting system and fun in its own way. I like Alison's workout the best. Some of the moves are kind of awkward in the other workouts in the set, like they were focusing too much on finding ways to use the Wave and not on the movements themselves.

HTH. BTW--My favorite Firms are the Tri-Trainers, Tough Cardio Mix, Cardio Overdrive, and Maximum Cardio with Carissa Foster.
anne is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bss, bss1, bss2, bss3, bss4, firm, firm bss, firm sculpting stick, slanted risers, the firm