Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-08-10, 07:35 AM  
lorajc

Are Margaret's Unplugged Workouts Easy?

I just ordered a couple of these off of the Margaret sale. I previewed one the other night and it looked really slow and easy! They are pretty short workouts, but I could string them together. I just wondered if they are actually harder when you do them? as they look easy.
lorajc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-10, 01:43 PM  
sherry7899

I don't find any of Margaret's workout actually "easy" but they're definitely easier than Sculpture, Triple Threat, and her other older workouts. They might seem easier because they're shorter, so you're doing fewer reps. They are good to string together.

The chaptering on the dvds is fantastic-the warm up, cool down and the exercises for each body part is chaptered separately in each episode, so you can easily skip around the dvd to make your own workout.

Sherry
sherry7899 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-10, 03:45 PM  
videofit

Yes they are harder when you do them if you use heavy enough weights. I prefer outdoor workouts and it's nice to have an option for shorter ones as well.

I usually do two back to back for about 40 min of exercise, if you skip the middle cool down/warmup. I sometimes do four chapters back to back, skipping all but the first and last warmup and cooldown for a really nice, pleasantly tough long workout. I think I figured out it was 72 minutes of exercise minus warmup and cooldown.

Which Unpluggeds did you buy? I only have Vol. 1 of the 1900 series and have been tempted to buy some of the others. Let us know your thoughts, please.
Old 06-08-10, 06:23 PM  
JessicaW

For the last month and a half I have been using Margaret's Unplugged series. I workout about six days a week. I usually do one MR Unplugged show, one Classical Stretch episode and an equal portion of cardio (Leslie Sansone, kickboxing, or whatever). Every now and then I will do an AWT workout if I am pressed for time. As a result, I have totally toned up and tightened all over and I am getting some major comments from people about it. I own a huge variety of dvds and have been working out at home for over ten years and I gotta say that Margaret Richard is one of my faves. She really knows how to hit body parts in a short amount of time. So, my vote is that doing Margaret Richard Unplugged works.
JessicaW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-10, 08:22 PM  
DebnPhx
VF Supporter

I have two Unplugged's and like them a lot. They are not easy by any means. For comparison, I thought that 'Fight Strength with Age' was way too easy. These are the old Margaret that we know and love.
DebnPhx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-10, 09:52 PM  
Orlita

Quote:
Originally Posted by debnphx View Post
'fight strength with age'
:d -- grrr....laughing face not working, but I am laughing.
Orlita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-10, 11:18 PM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

We know what Deb meant but yes, that's funny!
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-10, 11:31 AM  
donnamp

Jessica, that sounda like an awesome rotation, I don't have any of the unpluggeds (Yet! ) But, I bet I can make this work with parts of the DVDs I already own. I Classical Stretch, too.

Do you do the workouts in any particular order or just mix them up from day to day?

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-10, 04:21 PM  
cfgcanada

What I really like about the Unpluggeds is that they could be done every day, or combined into a longer workout, because she works different parts in each episode and she also varies the exercises done for the body parts. She's mixed things up well. I think it was in Program 2001 that she did some nice unweighted arm work (for the triceps??) which was a bit of a change (ala Tracy Anderson - but of course not as long).

Quoting from Volume One of the 2000 series:

Program 2001 - Obliques, Triceps, Biceps, Inner Thighs, Hamstrings
Program 2002 - Deltoids, Back, Gluteus, Outer Thighs
Program 2003 - Pectorals, Triceps, Abdominals, Quadriceps, Calves
Program 2004 - Biceps, Obliques, Gluteus, Hamstrings
Program 2005 - Triceps, Deltoids, Abdominals, Inner Thighs
Program 2006 - Pectorals, Back, Quadriceps, Outer Thighs
Program 2007 - Calves, Hamstrings, Obliques, Triceps, Biceps
Program 2008 - Pectorals, Deltoids, Back, Gluteus, Abdominals

I like to either precede these with a 2 mile Leslie walk (and skip the warmup) or follow them up with one of the Classical Stretch TV episodes. They can be made more difficult by upping the weights and/or using leg weights where appropriate.

ETA - Margaret always makes things "look" easy when previewing because she's so cool and calm, but things can be a LOT harder when actually doing her workouts.

Last edited by cfgcanada; 06-09-10 at 04:26 PM. Reason: Added comment
cfgcanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-10, 07:24 PM  
DebnPhx
VF Supporter

"Fight Strength with Age!" LOL! I didn't get it but now I do!! Senior moment...
DebnPhx is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
margaret richard, unplugged