Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-29-23, 05:11 PM  
Lauren

I’ve always relied on yoga DVDS, until I noticed their limitations. At times, the music may be annoying, the instructor talks too much, or may not hold or include the pose my body needs that day.

With cards/books, we determine our focus for the practice, and decide how long, and deep to hold the pose. Listening to music, or the beautiful sound of silence. Even though I may not choose these options as often as I’d like. I appreciate having them in my collection.

There is a beautiful freedom in creating your own practice, but can be overwhelming too. We’re so accustomed to being led.

If you’d like to experiment, Pinterest offers a variety of sequences, from chair, yin, bedtime, etc.
Lauren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-23, 01:34 AM  
mamaste

Video and audio only. I like reading yoga books because I learn so much, but I don’t follow them. I need instruction from an instructor that’s not my open brain.
Old 01-30-23, 08:15 AM  
fatkat555

I see the value of both, to be honest. I do have several old yoga cds and I have yoga decks, one from Brian Baptiste. I also have the cd Yoga Short Forms, all of Bryan Kest’s cds, but I’ve not pulled them out in a long time… With my exercise ADD, I’ve currently branched back off into old Lastics, Kit Laughlin, and Fit and Bendy. Once I’ve completed my detour into these stretching styles, I think I’ll return to yoga using cds and yoga decks and see how I like it.

You have to make a mess, sometimes, to clean it up.

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
fatkat555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-23, 09:49 AM  
sheepla
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles76 View Post
I always use youtube or dvds, but funny enough, I usually do yoga with my eyes closed. It's only when I can't understand the cues or need a visual for alignment that I'll peek at the tv. Given this, one would think I would use yoga CDs, but I never have. I guess I'm hesitant to get a yoga CD that I'm not sure is cued well.
This is me exactly!!
Old 01-30-23, 09:51 AM  
sheepla
VF Supporter

To add...I have tried yoga decks in the past as I like them in theory, but I have found I "choose" only the cards for the poses I can do. So being able to edit my own routine is not particularly beneficial to me.
Old 01-30-23, 11:54 AM  
fatkat555

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepla View Post
To add...I have tried yoga decks in the past as I like them in theory, but I have found I "choose" only the cards for the poses I can do. So being able to edit my own routine is not particularly beneficial to me.
Ah! That’s true! How likely are we to challenge ourselves past our comfort zone if we design the workouts ourselves? Interesting…

You have to make a mess, sometimes, to clean it up.

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
fatkat555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-23, 12:45 PM  
BunnyHop

I guess my practice is self directed? It's how I learned to begin with,years ago, and it seems to have become my preference, no matter how many other styles of presentation come my way. Mostly I seem to have used dvds for guidance when I had back pain or was too exhausted to focus well enough to manage a useful sequence on my own.

J Brown's dvd had a good talk on it about how all you really need to do is a few forward bends, a few back bends, a few twists, some standing, seated, lying down. A few simple moves, nothing fancy.

As with my meditation practice, my primary goal is just to give my brain a rest by focusing on my breath and movements, and just relaxing into the poses.
Old 01-30-23, 02:16 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles76 View Post
I always use youtube or dvds, but funny enough, I usually do yoga with my eyes closed. It's only when I can't understand the cues or need a visual for alignment that I'll peek at the tv. Given this, one would think I would use yoga CDs, but I never have. I guess I'm hesitant to get a yoga CD that I'm not sure is cued well.
Bubbles, same! I like the structure of a DVD or YT video - I do find though that now I tend to add in my own variations, stay in certain poses longer, etc. Still, I prefer a video as a starting point as opposed to completely making up my own practice.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
meditation, meditation audios, meditation cd, yoga, yoga books, yoga cards, yoga cd, yoga deck