Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-21-23, 04:45 PM  
cowfishpro

Question Callanetics vs. Grace Lazenby (iballet, ATRM, RM, etc.)

Hello everyone,

Recently I have been reintegrating Callanetics back into my rotation, which also includes Pilates and Yoga.

I just did one of the newer routines, and it reminded me a lot of Grace Lazenby's work with WAY fewer reps. I do think the routine could be effective, but it made me wonder if I would be getting more out of Grace's routines, which I still have.

Grace does a lot of reps, and I remember times almost crying because she would get so deep into the exhausted muscles. I have a vague memory of being in good shape when I had Grace in my rotation. And I remember my DH saying those were the only workouts he said he could really see a difference.

So now I am doubting my reintegration of Callanetics and wondering if I would get more out of Grace.

I do notice my clothes starting to loosen with Callanetics, and I get nice cardio intervals during a routine. However, I remember Grace's legs being much tougher, and I probably would get even more strength and HR elevation. Plus I did love the music and creativity of the iTrain routines. That makes me wonder why I stopped.

Well, if you have read this far, THANKS!

I appreciate any thoughts on my ramblings.

ETA: My original reason for integrating Callanetics into my rotation was to help better tighten up some areas that weren't getting addressed as well by Pilates or Yoga.

~T

Last edited by cowfishpro; 01-21-23 at 04:58 PM. Reason: Additional information
cowfishpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-23, 07:31 PM  
monterey vidiot
VF Supporter

I had ATRM 21 years ago, but itrain didn't interest me. I was interested in the Firm around that time. Ebay has ATRM and a sequel - upwards of $40. Not that interested.
monterey vidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-23, 08:26 PM  
fatkat555

I have Grace Lazenby in my virgin untried pile. Honestly, I was scared by it.

You have to make a mess, sometimes, to clean it up.

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
fatkat555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-23, 12:12 PM  
kittybug
VF Supporter

I was recently looking for (and unable to find) some Grace workouts because they sound right up my alley and like with many things, I missed the boat on her in the past. I would say if you have her stuff, also integrate it (and don't give up on Callanetics if you love it!).

Do you have any of Leah Sarago's workouts?

Phrase for 2024: Streamline and simplify.
kittybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-23, 12:22 PM  
cowfishpro

Talking

Fatkat, your comment made me smile.

Kittybug, I do not have anything by Leah. I assume that you do.

I wouldn't say I LOVE doing Callenatics, but I am liking the results after 10 hours of workouts.

Honestly, I have to play my own music over Callanetics for most routines to make the experience more enjoyable for me. And I was able to integrate my reformer into LRC of Core Assets. It looks like there is potential to do that with the Bonus Upper Body routine, too. That makes the routine more fun for me.

This morning would have been a Callanetics routine on my agenda, but maybe I'll try an iBallet and see how I feel about it. I can always go back to Callanetics if I don't find myself clicking with it anymore.

Thanks for your thoughts.
Old 01-22-23, 12:35 PM  
kittybug
VF Supporter

cowfishpro, yes, I'm a big Leah fan and use her Ballet Body DVDs pretty regularly. I was signed up for her streaming service a couple years back but was looking for more of the DVD experience of complete workouts. I spent too much time trying to figure out how to piece together different sections of her streaming offerings to get a complete workout that suited me, if that makes sense? That being said, I frequently consider going back for a bit.

She has quite a number of free offerings on YouTube so you could see if they work for you if you find you no longer click with Grace's workouts. Leah's stuff leaves me quivering and whimpering at times.

Old 01-22-23, 01:37 PM  
cowfishpro

Thanks, Kittybug.

Well, I answered my own question. I got about 5 minutes into iBallet #1, and I had to stop. The music doesn't seem so great anymore and the movements just felt frantic.

I guess I didn't appreciate how gentle and deliberate the moves and transitions are in Callanetics. Today I played some Buddha Bar music over the workout's music, and it was a lovely routine. As I was working, I was more cognizant of how Callanetics can make me feel stretched while strengthening, sort of like Pilates and yoga for me.

So I will keep on keeping on with Callanetics for now. Besides, I really want to try the other routines by other instructors and gauge my gains in strength and flexibility. I can't believe how much stronger and more open I feel since reintegrating Callanetics, with only 10 hours of work, no less.

Thanks!

~T
Old 01-22-23, 02:51 PM  
prettyinpink

I only ever used Callanetics a little bit. I had quite a few iballets and remember some of them as being hard. Maybe I should pull one out again to try. I never stuck with them but don’t remember why.
There are so many barre-like options, though. If you eventually get tired of Callanetics, there are plenty of others.
prettyinpink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-23, 02:53 PM  
F1mom

I do the Callanetics arm exercise and side stretch a few times per day at my desk to keep me from getting that old lady slump. I have the full workout on Apple TV+ but never seem to use it that often, this thread has encouraged me to give it a go again.
F1mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-23, 07:09 PM  
kittybug
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowfishpro View Post
I guess I didn't appreciate how gentle and deliberate the moves and transitions are in Callanetics. Today I played some Buddha Bar music over the workout's music, and it was a lovely routine. As I was working, I was more cognizant of how Callanetics can make me feel stretched while strengthening, sort of like Pilates and yoga for me.

~T
THIS. So agree! I appreciate the smooth transitions more and more the more Callanetics I do. And I have two questions for you:

1. I notice I'm sore every time I do Callanetics. Every time. Other workouts I repeat in a similar way don't do that to me, but Callanetics does. Is it just me?

2. Even though I've been doing these workouts for a bit now, I keep 'discovering' new things about the exercises. Today during Callanetics Extreme I felt like I 'got' some new things deeper into my body than before (which of course I think will translate to more soreness but we'll see). It's almost like practicing yoga for me, which I can't do much of anymore due to an injury, where you discover a pose is endless. Do you have that experience too?

Okay, that's my rambling...thanks!!

Tags
atrm, callanetics, grace lazenby, iballet, itrain