Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-13-16, 07:01 PM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D View Post
I've finally learned to say "No, I don't need this one!"

Based on the clips it does look like an excellent DVD. With that being said it is not chaptered and is 60 minutes long. I prefer my pilates and mat workouts not to exceed 30 minutes, preferably 20 -25 minutes.

Even if it were chaptered most likely it would sit on a shelf and I'd pull out a Winsor Pilates, Kathy Smith lower body workout, Classical Stretch lower body, or Andrea Orbeck's Super Model Buns and Thighs.

I didn't buy anything from the recent Total Fitness sale .

I'm saving my money for Classical Stretch Season 11. Additionally there are going to be 8 new Callanetics DVDs released in May or June which I would like to purchase.
I do like this DVD because it incorporates so many Pilates toys. I wish it was chaptered - especially because I would probably use the upper body workout frequently, if it were separately chaptered.

I like that there are no wrist-unfriendly exercises included - no triceps dips and no pushups. Janice moves slowly enough through the upper body work that you could use heavier than normal weights. And she doesn't rep you to death either.

Carol
txhsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-16, 07:59 AM  
Usia
VF Supporter

I just did Mat Pilates for the first time, and all I can say is that Janice kicked my butt! I thought it will be a low-intermediate workout, but it's solid intermediate and I was challenged. I've been doing Pilates by Lisa since beginning of March and I thought Janice's workout will be a walk in the park for me, but I was wrong!

As some have mentioned, workout is not chaptered and it's a voiceover. Voiceover is a non-issue for me, but it is for some. Lack of chapters gave me a pause, but the workout flows so well together, that before I knew, it was over. So, I am fine with no chapters here.

I used 5lb. weights for arms and shoulders and used all other toys that Janice used. I was huffing and puffing throughout. I liked that she incorporated stretches throughout the workout and now, I feel great and "loose". If Janice ever comes out with another pilates DVD, I will absolutely buy it.
Old 04-25-16, 08:43 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by txhsmom View Post
I do like this DVD because it incorporates so many Pilates toys. I wish it was chaptered - especially because I would probably use the upper body workout frequently, if it were separately chaptered.

I like that there are no wrist-unfriendly exercises included - no triceps dips and no pushups. Janice moves slowly enough through the upper body work that you could use heavier than normal weights. And she doesn't rep you to death either.

Carol
My interest is renewed! Put it on my wish list.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-16, 12:53 PM  
Terri1222
VF Supporter

I just did the mat pilates workout on Sunday, so it's fairly fresh in my mind.

Let me start by saying that I normally don't like ANY new workout the first time around. Will usually only do like 15 minutes of it, and go on to something else. So not the case here.

I loved the whole rhythm of the workout, the music, her flow, the different toys she used. And the 60 minutes just FLEW by. I have to admit that I initially skipped the stability ball portion because I don't have one, but after FF through it, I think most of the moves can be done without it or maybe just incorporating another "toy".

My ONLY negative is the fact that it's not chaptered. But that's it.

She does some wonderful stretches throughout the entirety of the workout that seem to focus right on the areas where it's needed at that moment.

Will I do this again? Most definitely, and yes in its entirety. Good zen feeling afterwards. Now I'm curious about her yoga workout ??

Terri

Crap happens in bunches - Beth

Just 'cuz I want to be a hermit doesn't mean I don't get lonely - DonnaB

What the head makes cloudy, the heart makes very clear - Eagles
Terri1222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-16, 01:16 PM  
mandie123

I just finished it for the first time,and really liked it.Love the music too!
Old 04-25-16, 01:35 PM  
Usia
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandie123 View Post
I just finished it for the first time,and really liked it.Love the music too!
Definitely, the music was great. Also the pace of the workout was just right. I didn't feel rushed, but it wasn't so slow that I wanted to take a nap. Just the right number of reps to be challenging enough for me but not so many that I would get bored.

I have the stability ball but don't like to use it for some reason. I used small barre ball for some of the moves, and no ball at all for other, and it worked just fine. I did use the tubing and it was hard work for sure! I really like this DVD.
Old 05-05-16, 06:50 PM  
Karen Beckwith
VF Supporter

I did Janice's Mat Pilates DVD this morning for the first time. I've had them since we first heard about them, but recently had the Cataract Surgery from H*ll and am just getting back to workouts.

Anyway, it took me a little bit to warm up to it, but by the time I finished, I loved it and plan to do it again. I loved that it was a full-body workout. The upper body workout was probably my favorite, but all sections were really good. There were a few places where I was definitely huffing and puffing but that's a good thing!

Did anyone else have problems with the tubing? Mind would roll out from under me so I finally held the tubing on both sides and that worked just fine most of the time. Also, my balance is off a lot after the surgery so I had a hard time staying on the stability ball at times.

I'm going to do the Ballet Barre day after tomorrow (Metashred) and then the Yoga one two days after that. Can't wait!

"Comfort zones are very often expanded by discomfort." - Mimi Solaire
Karen Beckwith is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
janice lennard, refrigerator, samsung