Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 11-21-22, 09:35 PM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

Today's workout was

Jessica Valant Pilates - Barre Workout for Everyone (January 2022 Live Workout #2) - 30 minutes

This was a decent barre workout. It's amazing how much these barre moves burn!

I'm off all week, so I spent the morning doing a bit of closet cleaning - took some clothes and some old exercise equipment to Salvation Army for their thrift shop.

Donna - We bought a smoked turkey from the Greenburg Turkey Company - Colin likes their smoked turkey and I'm not a big turkey fan either way, so it works for me. I've got to figure out what we are having with our turkey and make a grocery run in the morning before it gets crazy.

Carol
txhsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-22, 08:16 AM  
donnamp

Hi Everyone,

Yesterday I did squeeze in a little dog walk and one of Lucy Wyndham Read's 14 min workouts. I like Lucy for short add ons. I'll probably use her stuff more this winter on days I can't talk myself into walking outside.

Today, so far:

Gina B - 5,000 Steps beginner workout through the decades - although this was a long workout it wasn't very difficult - it was slower paced than many of Gina's workouts. But it was a nice one to do w/ upbeat music and a countdown timer that let you know every time you completed 500 steps - i don't know how many steps i truly got from this workout though b/c my counter is on the fritz.

I then did a little bit of her new stretch workout that she released today. It was ok.

I will try to get out for a walk today w/ my doggie and then some stretching tonight.

Has anyone else been really tired w/ this time change? I am finding myself nodding off really early in the evening, but then I wake up and I can't get to sleep at a decent time. But, I swear, but like 7:00 p.m. I feel like I'm ready fo bed, LOL! Hopefully it will sort itself out.

Hope everyone has a nice day. I am off after today for the rest of the week. Although there is a project I'm monitoring that may blow up...so I will probably be checking in a little bit.

Carol - I almost did that workout yesterday but then I got distracted by the Pilates Girl, LOL! I am ambivalent about Turkey - it is ok - but eh. Actually, this whole holiday season feels a bit - eh -
Good job decluttering. I really need to do that, particularly with clothing that i know I will never wear again. I don't know why I hang on to it. I have skirts and dresses and suits and I just don't wear those things any more. Even if I went back to the office to work it would be pants - and business casual attire.

Take care
Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-22, 09:14 PM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

Today's workout was one of Jessica's new ones:

Jessica Valant Pilates - 20 Minute Stress Relief Exercises - 20 minutes

This was a nice slow paced workout with lots of stretching and breathing, with a little bit of ab work thrown in for good measure.

We also mowed the yard and did our final cleanup before the winter. Lots of raking etc. I'm counting that as my steady state cardio. I will be sore tomorrow, I'm sure.

Donna - Yes, the time change has wiped me and my household completely out. We can barely make it to bedtime, and I think the dogs would go to bed much earlier if we would take them.

I kind of feel the same way about Thanksgiving this year. We fooled around and didn't get kennel reservations so we are staying put. It doesn't really break my heart - I wasn't looking forward to listening to my brother rant and rave about politics for 2 solid days - with FoxNews constantly playing in the background - especially since he is far right and I am more in the middle. I am the kind of Republican that he despises. Oh well.

Carol
Old 11-23-22, 08:23 AM  
donnamp

Hi Everyone,

Let's see.... yesterday the weather was decent so I did get a lunch time walk in. It was slow - since my Golden likes to stop and investigate all the smells. Then in the evening I did an Essentrics - it was one of the Live workouts from 11/10 - I believe - with Lauren. I need to get more Essentrics in but I am having a hard time w/ fitting everything in....

Today, so far:

Senior Shape w/ Lauren - Cardio & Strength HIIT workout for Beginners and Seniors - this was not terribly hard, but it was a nice workout. it was 4 blocks of 2 cardio moves, plus 1 strength. Strength was mainly for upper body. There was a short ab work section on the floor and some bridges and stretching. i find Lauren's workouts to be very calming and pleasant.

The Girl with the Pilates Mat - Pilates for Hip Bursitis, Painful Hips - my hips really don't hurt but they are stiff and this was a nice routine. It included some gentle strengthening and stretching.

Carol - Yes, the time change....I still prefer this to the spring forward which really revs me up and makes it hard for me to sleep at all. I wish they would forego changing the clocks at all - I know there was talk about keeping us on permanent daylight savings time, but that was tried in the 1970's and failed b/c in the morning it was dark when kids were going to school. I would rather keep us on permanent standard time. I think I would get used to shorter and longer days more naturally if it wasn't thrust on us so abruptly.

And yes, you are just a "RINO" - ugh. I have friend/family like that - on both ends of the political spectrum. Each side demonizes the other side and no one wants to hear an opinion that differs from theirs. It is really sad and so contrary to what this country is supposed to stand for. I don't see how it will end - as each side gets more extreme they just drive more extremism.

Donna
Old 11-23-22, 06:45 PM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

Today's workouts were

Outdoor Walk - 30 minutes;
Jessica Valant Pilates - Basic Workout with Dumbbells - 10 minutes;
Improved Health - One Month to a Stronger You - Day Two - 15 minutes

Thought I would get a walk in before the weather turns icky tomorrow.

Jessica's weight workout was fine - just 5 exercises. Day Two of Improved Health's series was lower body and wasn't too bad.

Donna - Nice choices! Yes, count me as another person who would like to stay on permanent standard time. It's so dark in the mornings here in the weeks leading up to switching back from DST to regular standard time.

Carol
Old 11-24-22, 06:32 AM  
Usia
VF Supporter

Good morning!

Happy Thanksgiving to Carol and Donna and everyone else that may be lurking here. Hope you all have a peaceful and happy day.

Dana & Oliver
Old 11-24-22, 11:01 AM  
donnamp

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!

Let's see...yesterday I got my dog walk in - the weather is very mild and I'm taking advantage of it while I can. I then did an Essentrics Live workout from 11/17 - it was with a new-to-me instructor - Julie - and I enjoyed it. I think the subscription is worth if for the live classes alone - if I do at least one a week it isn't a very expensive subscription like $3.75 a class according to my calculations, LOL!

Today, so far:

Senior Shape w/ Lauren - 10 Min HIIT workout - this was not terribly difficult for those who like their HIIT to be hard, but this was a nice 10 min low impact cardio that did get my heart rate up a bit and got me warmed up.

Senior Shape w/ Lauren - Resistance Band Strength workout - this was one of her newer videos. It is all standing w/ a resistance band. It would be a great workout for travel since it does't take up much space either.

Jessica Valent Pilates - Gentle Core Workout

I do plan to get the doggie walked and maybe some stretching before dinner.

It is just us and DD and her BF. And we are re-heating from Wegmans so not too taxing.

Dana - nice to see you!! Hope you have a nice Thanksgiving!

Carol - I have been meaning to try that workout from Jessica and Improved Health is definitely on my radar. Maybe in the new year, I'm still thinking about doing an Ellen rotation in December - starting w/ her 10 day challenge, then moving to her 7 day challenge, then moving to the 5 new workouts on Grokker and then finishing up with her Crunch and Exercise TV workouts that I haven't done in ages. That is the plan, at leas for now. But i also will probably want to do a few Xmas workouts - I think Gina B has a Xmas themed workout and I think Lauren has one as well. So I may mix it up a bit. Then in January I may feel like getting more serious w/ weights and such....

Hope everyone has a nice holiday!

Donna
Old 11-24-22, 12:31 PM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

Today's workout -

Jessica Valant Pilates - Gentle Pilates Workout - Gratitude Focus - 30 minutes

This was a nice, basic mat workout. Nothing too ambitious or challenging.

I won't be doing anything outside today - it's gotten cold, cloudy, windy (40+ mph), dusty and is currently spitting something. This is supposed to last through Saturday, so I think we will just hunker down.

Dana - Good to see you! Happy Thanksgiving!

Donna - No idea yet what my December plans look like. Probably similar to what I'm doing now, although the details may vary. I did buy Lindsey Brin's Balanced Pilates plan for $20, so if I get bored, I can try that.

Carol
Old 11-25-22, 09:40 AM  
donnamp

Hi Everyone,

Yesterday I did get a dog walk in before dinner - but nothing else.

Today, so far:

Senior Shape w/ Lauren -Dance & Cardio Kickboxing - this was fun - not terribly hard cardio but fun.

Senior Shape w/ Lauren - Yoga and Pilates Mat work w/ Cali Weights - I didn't have the weights that she uses for this workout (wrist weights) but I do have a small set of soft handweights that I used and that worked well.

It is raining, so I will have to see if it clears up for a walk. We are putting up our Xmas decorations today.

The Wegmans meal was ok - i think homemade is better - the sides were good but they were all very mushy - like the potatoes were a little too liquidy for my taste. But it tasted fine and was way easier than making all that from scratch. I think making the meal from scratch only works if you have the time and/or organization skills to make the bulk of it in advance. It was very nice not having to prep and clean a ton yesterday. So unless I get the time and/or organization skills to do advance prep I'll probably go the purchase route again.

Carol - did you see Amy from Be Health Enough is having a sale? $120 for the year. I still think I'll pass though - between Jessica V, Essentrics, Ellen and You Tube I'm pretty well set with what I like to do. I do like her site and her philosophy but there are only so many hours in a day to get a workout in! Of course your mentioning Lindsey has me interested, LOL!

Take care,

Donna
Old 11-25-22, 06:54 PM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

Today's workouts were

Improved Health - 1 Mile Dance Workout - 17 minutes & One Month to a Stronger You - Day Three - 15 minutes (chest, shoulders triceps);

Jessica Valant Pilates - 5 Minute Pilates Abs Workout & 5 Minute Pilates Legs Workout

It was too cold again today to be able to walk and enjoy it, so I did one of Jules' "dance" workouts. I had a little bit of trepidation about doing a "dance" workout, but it really wasn't one. Just low impact cardio moves, and some freestyle cardio or dancing, if the spirit moved you (it didn't move me, but that's no surprise). I worked up a bit of a sweat and my FitBit was happy.

The weight workout was another winner - kind of a slow and heavy approach. Topped it off with the two Jessica Valant workouts and felt suitably worked out.

Donna - I did see Amy's sale, but I think I'm going to pass on it. I'm happy for now with all the YouTube options and JVP. We talked about putting up Christmas stuff today, but just couldn't get the energy for it. I think we are going to do it tomorrow though.

Carol