Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-05-09, 12:16 PM  
F1mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Star
Maybe this is the poster Geoff was referring to:
Or maybe this?: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/ima...222639&sr=8-12
But aren't posters supposed to be sexy? What about Farrah Fawcett?

She certainly never appeared on the front of a video in a bikini. See:

Besides, that poster is nothing compared to this:

Would you buy a workout from an instructor in a baggy, oversized sweaty t-shirt and worn out shorts? DeltaMan is free to have his own opinion, of course, but since KS didn't come out with her first workout video until 1986, she could hardly be called the first to use sex to sell workouts on a mass scale.
F1mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-09, 12:25 PM  
Susan G.
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1mom

Question: Would you buy a workout from an instructor in a baggy, oversized sweaty t-shirt and worn out shorts?
But isn't there a large middle ground between spandex babe and baggy?

That Smith cover is hardly a depiction of how an instructor looks at the gym for me. Compare it to say, Christi Taylor who looks fit, friendly, ready to work out.

I find the too-coiffed-made-up-body-parts-arched-in-my-face poses a little annoying and condescending. I'm not buying a female fantasy; I'm buying a workout.
Susan G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-09, 12:30 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue B
This guy, maybe?

Sigh...

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-09, 01:05 PM  
Sollamyn

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue B
This guy, maybe?

Yes, I'm sure it's him. And Alta, you crack me up!
Old 03-05-09, 01:18 PM  
Hej

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAC
I can relate to that.

I'll own up to being that kind of a reviewer. I don't think I am a prude, but I guess my modesty values are a little more old-fashioned than what is popular today.
Maybe me too (in the old fashioned department). I like a friendly but professional atmosphere in the video, and if clothing doesn't seem to fit well enough to provide a certain amount of coverage, it just doesn't look professional. Ditto certain "sexy" behavior. I can usually get over the clothing and laugh at the behavior if the workout is good enough, but it doesn't hurt to be warned in advance.

I used to get a strange vibe from certain videos featuring large busted women doing high impact and plyos without wearing sports bras. I'm absolutely sure those wardrobe choices were made for fashion reasons rather than to be "sexy" but I always wondered how the women ever managed until some of the surgical enhancement threads...
Hej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-09, 02:13 PM  
videofit

I don't think sports bras were invented in the eighties. I seem to recall videos, including The Firm, where women only wore leotards that left little to the imagination.
Old 03-05-09, 03:06 PM  
cristinalatina

Hmmm. I thought of one. I think that Ana Brett's attire is too revealing, something I wouldn't be using in front of, say, my in-laws. On the other hand, Cindy Crawford and Raquel Welch work out with a swimsuit that covers their midriff (kind of like a ballet leotard) and look fine to me.
Old 03-05-09, 04:31 PM  
SharonNYC
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by videofit
I don't think sports bras were invented in the eighties. I seem to recall videos, including The Firm, where women only wore leotards that left little to the imagination.
Sports bras were invented in the late 70s I believe.
I'm what I am, and what I am,
Is back on Boogie Street.

Leonard Cohen/Sharon Robinson "Boogie Street" 10 New Songs.

(I have a professional/personal relationship with an instructor who produces video and book material relevant to this site.)
SharonNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-09, 06:29 PM  
DejaDeb

Re: Kathy Smith's Poster -- Wow.

Re: Charles Atlas (or CA wannabe) magazine cover -- Wow.

But as far as video covers, I actually drew SHORTS on Janis Saffell on the VHS cover of her Brand New Butt & More! I had young boys (and my husband) in the house! She changed into more "modest" attire for the DVD cover, thank goodness!

By the way, today I happened to read the following Amazon review of Gilad's New Best of Bodies in Motion:

Refreshing, January 29, 2008
By Choda "Choda" (Everywhere) - See all my reviews

This is a refreshing look at bygone aerobics. It's nice to see sexy girls in great outfits instead of all the drab cover it all up modern stuff. Yea lets work our bodies to the hilt but cover it all up. What a joke. At least in these old shows you look and feel good. The moves are simple but actually work to get your heart rate up and move your muscles. I hate people who say it's too generational and out moded. It's great.

What an idiot. Just MHO!
Old 03-05-09, 06:55 PM  
DeltaMan727

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1mom
But aren't posters supposed to be sexy? What about Farrah Fawcett?

She certainly never appeared on the front of a video in a bikini. See:

Besides, that poster is nothing compared to this:

Would you buy a workout from an instructor in a baggy, oversized sweaty t-shirt and worn out shorts? DeltaMan is free to have his own opinion, of course, but since KS didn't come out with her first workout video until 1986, she could hardly be called the first to use sex to sell workouts on a mass scale.
I stand corrected! Kathy Smith hands down not the first after what I just saw. I never said she did a video cover, posing in a bikini all I said was that every now and again on eBay they sell some early pictures of her posing in some very revealing bikinis. Anyway, I attached a like to the pictures I was talking about that sometimes show up on ebay. And just a minor correction Kathy Smith’s first real mass market video came out in 1984 not 1986 it was the “Ultimate Video Workout.”

Geoff

http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/cFmwSU4...w/ks-ball2.jpg

http://d.yimg.com/kq/groups/9075657/...86323/name/n_a

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/KathyS...unt=20&dir=asc
DeltaMan727 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
deltaman, geoff, instructor clothing, skimpy clothes