Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-20-23, 03:11 PM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

Unhappy I've been in a bad slump

I can't remember a time when a slump lasted this long. I was having a lot of sleep problems which didn't help, but it seemed to be more than that. I just couldn't bring myself to exercise. I think it was both mental and physical because I felt run down. Well last Monday I woke up with a sore throat, so I was coming down with something. I'm still somewhat sick, but I'm in the recovery phase. My doc gave me the option of trying an antidepressant, and I may take him up on that. I'm undecided.

I really would like to get back to doing a at least a little bit of exercise but I'm not sure where to start. I do have some beginner dvds but I've used them so many times, I'm tired of them. Maybe some of you can help me figure out some thing. I would appreciate any kind of suggestion.
Old 05-20-23, 04:04 PM  
eventmom
VF Supporter

hello Jane - sorry you've been having a bad time of it. I've been turning to youtube for variety I'm not sure what workouts you like but here are a few links that might get you started:

here's 4 from amy's beach fitness that she created for covid recovery (I actually used these when I was getting over covid)
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...rrxcpuPS0OBKod

12 Min Yoga For When You Are Sick (Get Better Quick)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DM7GhNRAsu0

some full length essentrics (and they have shorten ones as well)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbWgGgRLp94&t=21s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qnaxj4ejDdM&t=8s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgFgaah33DQ

I hope you start to feel better. My sleep has been poor as well it makes so many things more difficult.
eventmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-23, 08:20 PM  
bfit

If you're looking for something not too hard and cheerful I don't think you can go wrong with Leslie Sansone (DVD or You Tube) and Paul Eugene (You Tube). The Leslie Sansone DVD with 10 mini walks (10 minutes each) might be a good place to start. You could do one walk followed by a nice stretch. Senior Shape on You Tube has a lot of good short yoga and stretching workouts. Also, this sounds sort of goofy but my husband says when he is not motivated to exercise it helps to have something he can do in the bedroom with no equipment so he can just get out of bed and do it without trekking somewhere else in the house and getting any equipment together.
bfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-23, 08:40 PM  
ChelePA

Maybe try to commit to 10 minutes a day. Once I get started, I usually finish my workout. But if I’m not feeling it, it’s OK to stop and try again later in the day or the next one. Caroline Jordan has several seated chair workouts if you’re looking for something easier. She also has a variety of lighter day routines. CDorner Fitness has several extended stretch options. I also do step classes on the floor. You could start with her basic ones. Getting outside also helps improve my mood if you’re up for a short walk. Some days I will do a quick mobility workout within 30 minutes of waking up to get moving. Motivation comes and goes so I try to make it part of my daily routine like brushing my teeth. Small changes daily.
ChelePA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-23, 09:05 PM  
bubbles76

It's amazing what just walking outside can do. I've been in a cardio slump lately, and all I can seem to muster is walking outside and the occasional step dvd. It feels really nice to get outside
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-23, 09:17 PM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

I was also going to suggest an outside walk. It always lifts my spirits and I don't have to make it hard.

Carol
txhsmom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-23, 06:41 AM  
geojill

Sorry you are struggling. Throughout 2020, stress was so high for me that all I could mentally handle was a 5-15 minute warmup on my rebounder (that included a lot of jogging to Virtual Active Roam’s trails because it was mentally soothing) followed by Yoga with Kassandra’s 10 minute Morning Yoga Movement. That and walking outside during my breaks and lunch at work. It kept my weight down, I actually increased my strength and flexibility, and it helped manage anxiety.

Walking outside is so good for us mentally and physically, so if you are able, try doing that. Otherwise, even 15 minutes a day is enough to get your body moving and will help you build back consistentcy. And eventually you’ll be able to increase the time you exercise as well as change up what you’re doing. Do what you can now, and give yourself the grace to say that it is enough for now.
Old 05-21-23, 07:30 AM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

More thoughts -
yoga from Sarah Starr or
easier workouts from Silver & Fit? Both are on YouTube and have tons of options and are filmed outside.

Another YouTube favorite of mine is Jules from Improved Health. Hers are not filmed outside, but she does have some short gentle workouts filmed using popular music from the 50s, 60s, 70s and 80s.

Some of Jessica Smith's 1 Mile Walk and Talk videos on YouTube.

I'm sorry you are in a slump. Be kind to yourself - slumps happen!

Carol
txhsmom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-23, 02:21 PM  
warriorprincess

Momentum is a powerful thing. The more you work out, the more you want to. The less you work out, the less you want to. There's nothing wrong with downtime when you need it though.

I agree that walking outdoors in the sunshine is great for mood, and usually not to hard to motivate yourself to start. An audiobook or podcast or music can make this even better.

Maybe a little 5-10 minute Qigong session at least to get the joints moving around when you're feeling blah.

I find it best to set a specific time, and no matter what, I'm in my workout room, whether I do something easy or hard. It's literally the only thing on my schedule now that I'm retired. It's non-negotiable (except for doctor appointments or someone visiting... I'm not Rainman )

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
You're only 1 workout away from a good mood.
warriorprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-23, 02:34 PM  
edensmom

I'm sorry you've been feeling down. ��

When I am in a slump, if it's around a week I just ride it out. I take it as a sign that my body needs to rest. I may use my allotted workout time to do another self care activity such as journaling or a guided meditation. Last week I had a low energy week and only managed to get in 3 workouts during the work week. One morning I did a shaking meditation and felt really energized yet grounded afterwards. Consistently taking care of yourself in some way is most important, imo.

If it persists longer than a week I will try to force myself to get moving. I tend to use my most familiar and favorite workouts that are not super intense/don't require a lot of coordination or thinking. If I'm wanting to do a strength workout, upper body is easiest to motivate myself. I like Jessica Smith fusion or walking workouts, Lift with Cee or Pregnancy and Postpartum TV mat workouts. ( I am not at all postpartum, my youngest is 12. )

Hope you feel better soon.
edensmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
journaling, motivation, restarting, slump, workout slump