Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-15-24, 11:15 PM  
Kiwi Katie

Sad news re Gancho Girl

Some of you may remember posts from Gancho Girl from New Zealand who was active on VF from 2008-2017. I have sad news which I've put off sharing - Paula (as I knew her) passed away in June of last year. She had struggled immensely with depression and took her own life.

We first connected in real life around 2011 after I discovered she was a fellow Kiwi VFer, as equally interested in barre workouts as I was and living only an hour from where I was based at the time. During that period I was working as a Pilates teacher and she was very keen on becoming one too so we always had a lot to chat about. She did her teacher training and also went on to become a Groove facilitator, while also being involved in massage and naturopathy.

Over time her mental health deteriorated - she closed her business and chose to focus on being a poet who wrote a lot about depression, and won some poetry awards along the way. We drifted apart - I didn't understand nor like some of the choices she made in life which I think contributed to her problems. She wrote of other friends drifting away too; perhaps for similar reasons, who knows. I was startled in June of last year when a photo of her appeared on my Facebook feed advising she was a missing person. Sadly her body was found a few weeks later.

Paula was a very interesting person - intelligent, artistic, and talented. I've looked back on some of her posts here and it's nice to remember her bubbly, funny, and caring side. I hesitated for a long time in writing his - in part because we didn't stay friends and partly because VF appeared to be fading away and I wasn't visiting much. Now it's been resurrected (thank you!!!) I thought the time was right to tell you all.

Katie x
Kiwi Katie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-24, 11:26 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Katie, thank you for sharing. As a therapist, it always hits me hard to hear about anyone dying by suicide. I do remember some of Gancho Girl's posts here, and I'm sorry to hear that Paula came to such a sad end.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-24, 12:02 AM  
moonbeam31

Thank you for sharing this with us, most of us would not have known about this. I am very sorry to hear this, it is always so very sad to hear this.
moonbeam31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-24, 03:31 AM  
Camember

I'm really sorry to read such sad news
Camember is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-24, 04:47 AM  
FirmDancer
VF Supporter

Sending condolences
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Current Rotations:
JSmith: STRENGTHEN
ManFlowYoga: morning sessions & Strength Foundations
YogaGlo & MFML: easy, morning classes
FirmDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-24, 07:08 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

This is such sad news. What a tragic end for a lively and talented person. I hope Paula has found her peace.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-24, 07:15 AM  
seagreen01
VF Supporter

I feel very sad reading this news and I remember some of her posts. I’m glad you have some good memories to keep of the better times.
seagreen01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-24, 07:21 AM  
sherry7899

I am so very sorry to read this. This is so tragic. I am sorry for the loss of your friend. I do remember her enthusiasm for Body Groove and how excited she had been about her training. I really hope she is at peace.

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-24, 08:00 AM  
Leonana

I’m so sorry. My condolences to her friends and family.
Old 03-16-24, 08:27 AM  
fanofladyvols

I am so sorry for your loss.

Thanks for posting so we can mourn together 🤍

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
in memory, rest in peace