Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-20-12, 12:42 PM  
JEWEL659

[QUOTE=wendy2;2036637]I keep all of my DVDs in cd wallets similar to this:
http://www.amazon.com/Case-Logic-CDW.../ref=pd_cp_e_2

I have mine arranged in 6 of these. I alphabetized by instructor first name and by systems, like FIRM
Old 05-20-12, 12:52 PM  
Karen Beckwith
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becky View Post
I think Karen Beckwith should chime in here.

I know her personally and have seen firsthand the Great Wall of Workouts, and no matter what you ask to look at, she knows exactly where to find it. It's amazing!
Becky - I'm not really as organized as you think I am! But thanks for thinking it.

I have my 1000++ DVD's/VHS's organized probably first by instructor or system (i.e., the Firm) and then by type (i.e., yoga or pilates). But sometimes, depending on room available on a shelf, I'll add in some miscellaneous stuff with the others.

"Comfort zones are very often expanded by discomfort." - Mimi Solaire
Karen Beckwith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-12, 12:58 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

I arrange my embarrassingly large collection by instructor. The only exception is that for about 6 months after I get a new DVD it stays by the player since I do the newest more often.
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-12, 01:29 PM  
IrishOT

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendy2 View Post
I keep all of my DVDs in cd wallets similar to this:
http://www.amazon.com/Case-Logic-CDW.../ref=pd_cp_e_2.
I have most of my single dvds in the exact same type of CD wallet and then for systems/rotations. I usually transfer them to multi-disc holders similar to these:
http://www.sleevetown.com/dvd-case-multi.shtml

In the larger cd wallet, I arrange by instructor/brand.

I am very much a systems/rotations gal, so I keep all of my DVDs on the shelf under the TV and then the ones I am currently using on the floor in front of the TV.
IrishOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-12, 02:05 PM  
alisoncooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by edensmom View Post
Question: if a dvd has multiple workouts on it (cardio, strength, etc.) and you group by genre, where do you put the workout? I tend to put it with where I think I will use it most (like if I usually use the cardio workout it goes in the cardio section) or by the instructor if I have more than one from them. I reorganize somewhat frequently and this problem keeps coming up.
Yeah, I tend to group where I will most use it. I just recently got Joel Harper's Fit Pack and it includes stretch, cardio, strength, combined workouts. I am planning on most using it for strength add-ons, so it'll go with my strength workouts (even though it is quite non-traditional in style, mostly unweighted).
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-12, 03:20 PM  
FitBoop
VF Supporter

I have a set of bookshelves that hold most of my videos and DVDs. On the top shelf is the Firm, Tracie Long, CIA, and miscellaneous cardio. On the second shelf is yoga and pilates, grouped by instructor or producer (i.e. Gaiam all together), on the third shelf is Cathe, and on the lower shelves are all the other instructors. I still have videos, many of which I still intend to transfer to DVD (some day... ). The videos are on the bottom shelf and in boxes.

Any DVDs that came in paper sleeves are in Case Logic DVD cases.
FitBoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-12, 03:35 PM  
KathAL79

I arrange by genre, then by alphabetically by instructor, then alphabetically by title. I have subdivisions within some genres, so for cardio I have one shelf for kickboxing, one for hi/lo or floor cardio, a half shelf for walking, and 1 1/2 shelves for step. I'm thinking of dividing up my Pilates now that I have a reformer (into mat, reformer, and other equipment), not that anyone really cares, but I just thought I'd think aloud while we're on this topic.

As for the DVDs or sets that have multiple workouts or can't be broken up or easily defined or don't belong in a category I have elsewhere (like the one random Bosu cardio DVD I have)? Well, I have a shelf for those. Yep, an entire shelf for "Miscellaneous." So it's the random pile idea, only neatly stacked and sort of alphabetized. Unfortunately, because I often go straight to "step" when I'm looking for a step workout it takes some effort to remember that I have more step workouts on that miscellaneous shelf; for some instructors it's easy, like Christi Taylor, since I know I have more than the three or four that are just sitting in step, but for others it's easy to forget because the only workout I have for them is on a compilation.
ETA: Oh, I do sometimes put workouts with more than one part on the shelf denoting the genre I use off that DVD - assuming I rarely if ever use the other part or workouts on that DVD.

Oh, and my "shelves" are actually plastic crates; I've somehow managed to cobble enough of the same size together (I have the ones I took to college, and I somehow acquired more of the same, remarkably all of the same color) that I can lock them together to form a cohesive unit.

Note: I have had a professional relationship with a vendor of health and fitness books and media. For details please see my profile.
KathAL79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-12, 06:38 PM  
Breezy Trousers

I store mine in a large DVD binder, which I keep in a dresser drawer. I organize by the type of workout..... I've learned to keep the DVD covers in a separate area in case I want to trade or sell the DVDs later on.
Breezy Trousers is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
storage