Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-28-24, 10:34 AM  
Paine
VF Supporter

Pat, I don't have any of Margaret's downloads and I'm not sure how well they work. I've read plenty of complaints about ongoing problems with Margaret's streaming. I've never tried her streaming because I have most of her DVDs. It's a shame that Margaret is unresponsive to people who have requested help with her streaming.
Paine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-24, 11:20 AM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Regarding MR digital downloads……I have two seasons of Body Electric & I’ve never had an issue accessing them. I do think people have had trouble downloading them. I haven’t done that, I just stream them. I haven’t tried her streaming service, but agree there have been major complaints about it.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-24, 12:59 PM  
JustSandra

Hi all!

Had my first outpatient PT session this morning. Overall I'm told I'm way ahead of the curve. I'm a rock star at knee flexion (129 degrees!) but need to improve my knee extension. Have some new exercises to incorporate, and also have a go-ahead to use a stationary bike at my gym (or my pedaler at home).

Cyana: I think my overall approach to my diet will just be cleaning it up. I've gotten sloppy about how I eat, and I've always had a big sweet tooth. Doing that, and getting back into my exercise, will go a long way towards dealing with the blood pressure issue. I also have a strong family history of heart disease, so I should be doing this anyway.

Colleen: That's amazing that you found workouts on YouTube specifically for hurt feet! I like Lauren's seated Yoga Chair Stretch in particular.

Beth: Yes' I've had crunch knees! I think it is pretty common/normal. When my arthritis got worse I had more pain and less range of motion.

Paine: Sorry you are plagued by the Evil 500 Error! When Margaret had one of her last-ditch DVD sales I stocked up, but for some reason skipped over getting Raising the Bar. Hope your copy hangs in there for a while.

Waving to all!

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Hunter S. Thompson
JustSandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-24, 04:53 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Sandra, great news! I bet being a regular exerciser has helped you.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-24, 08:41 PM  
Colleen
VF Supporter

It’s a shame that Margaret Richard's workouts are no longer easily available! Sure, you can find lots of workouts on YT now but there’s something special about coming back to a workout that you’ve enjoyed throughout the years.

Sandra - I'm not surprised that you're a star PT patient!

Speaking of YT, I worked out with Senior Shape again today:

28 Mar
AM
35’ - Senior Shape: Chair Cardio Kickboxing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TI16...U1Jp7y&index=5
PM
35' - Senior Shape: Chair Yoga Stretch for Everyone
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pciX...U1Jp7y&index=7

For the cardio kickboxing workout, I held hand weights and I had 2 pounds on each leg (boot or ankle weight). I got a good workout from that, and this is probably the best type of cardio workout that I can do right now. The chair yoga stretch was really nice.

Waving to all!

If I had a nickel for every time I've had to prove that exercise can work without pain, I'd be a very rich woman.
- Pilates teacher Brooke Siler
Colleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-24, 09:45 AM  
cyana

TGIF!!!

Happy Friday one and all. At the last minute, I decided to take a couple of days off, so I don't go back to work until Tuesday. Yippee!!!

Sandra - I have no doubt your P.T. loves having you as a patient. You came into surgery as a consistent exerciser and are highly motivated to get back to 100%. I love dark chocolate, but strongly prefer salty/savory foods over sweets.

Beth - I've had crunchy knees for years.

Colleen - You've been really creative in working with/around your foot injury. Two thumbs up!

Pam - Thanks for explaining the Balinese massage - it sounds absolutely decadent.

Pat - I was ready to purchase an apatite bracelet and earrings from Etsy, but when I went back to the shop to order, there was a message the seller is closed due to a medical issue. Hopefully the she makes a full recovery.

Paine - I had such a bad experience ordering from Margaret back in the 2000's, I swore I'd never order from her site again. This had to do with a security issue with her website.

I hope all is well with Carolyn.

Must run - I have a batch of sweet potatoes roasting in the oven.

"I've decided to grow old disgracefully." - Twigs
cyana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-24, 07:28 PM  
Colleen
VF Supporter

Cyana - Enjoy your well-earned time off!

29 Mar
AM
35' - Barlates Tighter Assets: Day 1
PM
15' - gentle chair yoga

I could do the Tighter Assets workout as presented aside from modifying the ab work to account for the extra weight from the boot on one leg and ankle weight on the other. I've done a few ab workouts with ankle weights, but with about half of this weight load. Later I made up a chair yoga routine, using some of the ideas that I got from Senior Shape.

If I had a nickel for every time I've had to prove that exercise can work without pain, I'd be a very rich woman.
Old 03-30-24, 02:45 PM  
JustSandra

Hi!

I'm working on arranging my new collection of PT exercises into a couple of routines, which is interesting as some exercises are done once a day and others 3x/day. Tried using my pedaler -- and decided I don't like it! It is just too awkward and uncomfortable, so I've put it away. I'll make up for it with more walks around my townhome complex instead. I had been using my walker for those but am now using a cane. I don't need any walking aids inside my house and I feel pretty steady on my feet, but my PT doesn't want me to walk outside without a cane or walker just yet. My brother belongs to the same gym I do, so I plan to tag along when he goes there -- I can pedal a stationary bike while he does his quick weight workout. And, with luck, I'll be cleared to drive in 3-4 weeks anyway.

Today's Workout: In addition to all the PT stuff I've been trying to get in upper body work, and lately realized I need to add abs/core as well. So I did *both* seated ab workouts offered by Lauren of Senior Shape on YouTube. Not surprisingly, both had a lot of similar moves, but the one labeled 10 Minute Workout was better for me, at least at this time, as the longer routine involved some leg lifting which I am not quite ready for.

Cyana: You are like my mom in preferring salty/savory to sweet. Glad you are taking a couple days off. I'll be interested to hear what you decide to do re retirement -- transition to half time or on demand, or just cut ties entirely. I'm happy you have a choice there!

Waving to all!

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Hunter S. Thompson
JustSandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-24, 07:49 PM  
Colleen
VF Supporter

As with Day 1, I could do Day 2 of Tighter Assets with minor modifications. I'd read about Kassandra's channel here in this check-in, so I went there to look for chair yoga and found a nice routine. A little under 20' and I added a few minutes of meditation on my own.

30 Mar
35' - Barlates Tighter Assets: Day 2 (YT)
20' - Yoga with Kassandra: Gentle Chair Yoga (YT)

Waving to all!

Old 03-31-24, 10:41 AM  
cyana

Happy Week-end and Happy Easter to those who observe.

After checking the work-out log, I officially started my MSTF program on January 24th and haven't missed a day. While I'm not pain free (that isn't my expectation, due to the degree of arthritis in my hips, but at least the pain is noticeably decreased), my flexibility and balance have improved. This month I've been balance-focused and my current favorites are the standing heel to toe balance with arm movements and heel to toe rocks. With the standing heel to toe standing balance, I've been able to progress from having the arms out to the side (helping with balance), to doing a forward and backward crawl stroke (as if I'm swimming), which also brings torso rotation into the mix. I started doing heel to toe rocks (coming up on the toes, and rocking back until the toes lift off the floor), as a physical therapist once mentioned that older people frequently fall because they aren't standing on their whole foot and tend to put too much weight back in their heels. This week, I started landing more heavily on the heel, to ramp up the weight bearing effect for bone health.

This morning I did Lee Holden's streaming class from 3.27.2024. This was the first time I've done an entire class in quite some time. I will be doing more classes over the next few weeks, as my streaming subscription expires in April and I have a major decision as to whether to continue that pricey subscription. Another benefit of MSTF - I can do qi gong movements such as knocking on the door of life without having to force the rotation.

This morning I made an egg casserole with feta cheese, spinach, onions and sun dried tomatoes. It smells really good and I'll have breakfasts for several days in the coming week.

Colleen - I like Kassandra's low key demeanor.

Sandra - Hooray for graduating to a cane. I'm sorry you didn't click with your pedaler.

It's a beautiful day and I'm hoping DH and I can make a run to a local plant nursery this afternoon - fingers crossed.

Waves to ALL.

"I've decided to grow old disgracefully." - Twigs
cyana is offline   Reply With Quote