Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-29-04, 04:13 PM  
Mollie F.
VF Supporter

Of course, the ethical aspects were also covered in the "Are there any instructors you would never buy from?" thread that was around recently.

I liked the idea of a workout video with Tony Horton and Joyce Vedral--the Motormouth Workout .
Old 10-29-04, 04:21 PM  
WWWendy
Community Manager

my thoughts

Setting aside those instructors to whom I have a visceral, negative reaction, (rare), I can get into workouts from instructors with many different personalities.

That said, on a given day, I often choose my workout according to my mood, and instructor's personality has a lot to do with whose workout I pick on any given day. I might pick Karen Voight on a day when I just want to work hard, with no silliness, but when I need a mental pick me up, I'm much more likely to pick someone like Christi Taylor. So, I guess I like having a variety of personalities to choose from.

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
WWWendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-04, 04:25 PM  
Stephanie_B

It depends...

If a voice grates on me, I can't do it (same goes with music). But OTOH some grew on me like Tony Horton, I thought he was a total dweeb at first but I like using his PHH ones for cardio (yes you can adopt them to the rebounder sort of).

If you can't do it today what makes you think you will do it tomorrow?

DISCLOSURE: I had a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Stephanie_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-04, 04:50 PM  
athompson10
VF Supporter

It's a big factor for me

I started my vidiocy with the FIRM in 1991 and one of the things I loved about the old (pre-BSS Era) Firm was that the instructors had NO personality. Well, maybe that's not fair, but they were scripted and never went off-message. Some people saw this as Stepford Wife-ish, but it never bothered me - from a Firm workout, I knew to expect a very fit, very made-up instructor and a well-designed workout. I never had to worry about annoying laughs or too much talking or gushiness, because all those women did was read from the cue card.

As soon as I expanded my workout collection, personality became a factor. Because I started with the Firm women, very talky, exuberant instructors rub me the wrong way. If I read a review that says the instructor is joking and chatting her way through the workout, I know it's not for me. Give me good cueing and form pointers, and a minimum of chat on top of that.

Allison
athompson10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-04, 04:56 PM  
Mollie F.
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by athompson10
I knew to expect a very fit, very made-up instructor and a well-designed workout.
You can get this with Tony Horton ! But I grant that he is chatty.
Old 10-29-04, 05:01 PM  
athompson10
VF Supporter

MollieF -

What IS up with Tony in P90X - all that bright orange foundation and rosy cheeks and could that be eye makeup?
athompson10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-04, 05:12 PM  
Peggy T
VF Supporter

Its HUGE for me...

I have sold GREAT workouts because of personality issues (P90X)

Maybe because I work with a person who is hugely irritating, I don't want to deal with that on my free time. I don't want an instructor's personality to dominate the workout. I want to work out, not be entertained. Give me Karen V's dryness ANY day!! LOL!! As much as I love Gin Miller, I traded that one workout of hers where she is just over the top. (and I LOVE Gin!!) I just can't deal with it - particularly in the morning. I can tolerate more after work than I can first thing in them morning. :rolleyes:

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.
-Will Rogers
Peggy T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-04, 05:14 PM  
Rose031

Gotta Say Yes

Yea, I don't think I'm as picky as some, but probably pickier then others. The only instructor I won't buy because of what you might call 'personality' reasons is Donna Richardson. I'm sure she has a wonderful personality, but there is a breathy quality and I felt a little condescended to in the ones of hers I've tried, and I had to trade them away.
Used to be I would have added Denise Austin to that too, but for some reason, when I was expecting, I loved watching her show on Lifetime and still find myself tuning in (but not working out, just half watching/ listening while I get ready for work).

Rose
Old 10-29-04, 05:15 PM  
Peggy T
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathryn
I'm with you on this one! I bought one of her workouts, and immediately got rid of it after previewing. She was so dry that she made the early Karen Voight look perky! The workout itself looked pretty good, but I don't think I could ever do it.
Ok, (re: Moira Stott) I have to agree. There *IS* a limit to dryness! LOL!!
I traded her because she was too robotic. (Geez... this is sounding like Goldilocks and the Three Bears!! LOL!!!!)

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.
-Will Rogers
Peggy T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-04, 05:18 PM  
Stephanie_B

Poor Moira

I don't care for hers either, but I do have a girlfriend that was lucky enough to go to her studio while she was in college and said she is MUCH much more lively in person.

If you can't do it today what makes you think you will do it tomorrow?

DISCLOSURE: I had a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Stephanie_B is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
instructor, instructor preferences, instructors, voice of instructor