Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-28-24, 02:09 PM  
warriorprincess

At 64, it's weights, hands down, for me. Weight training keeps my joints from hurting. And I love how strong and powerful I feel. There's absolutely no dread factor doing weights as long as I add in nice rest periods between sets. Needless to say, Cathe workouts end up being twice their typical length LOL.

I do cardio because it's good for me. I don't love it, but it amps up my energy level and my mood.

I love stretching and mobility. This may be because I've always been a dancer, and learned to love feeling limber. It also helps my joints feel good.

I love barre. I think this is because it's a challenge in which I can see incremental improvements. And it fills in recovery days nicely.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
You're only 1 workout away from a good mood.
warriorprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-24, 04:20 PM  
Kizzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonana View Post
Thanks for sharing, Nieta. It’s encouraging to hear what worked for you during a difficult time.

I get sore and stiff the day after a strength workout. I just thought I wasn’t in good shape. I noticed when I was sick and didn’t work out, I’d feel better, less sore and stiff. But I like strength training and know it’s important, so keep doing it.

I heard this somewhere, I can’t remember where, I think it was Dr. Mike on the Renaissance Periodization channel. He said that doing strength training will cause stiffness and soreness, because building muscle causes inflammation. So I took it that it isn’t odd and I’m building muscle. But for me it isn’t horribly painful, I don’t get headaches or neck pain. It’s more of an annoyance, and seems to disappear in between workouts.

I’ve lost two inches in height and was dreading my dexa scan last fall. The results were good, I have normal bone density. I also walk a lot, so I’m sticking with what I’m doing.
THAT is all encouraging news!! Congrats on reaching normal bone density again. You have inspired me. Thank you!
Kizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-24, 04:35 PM  
Leonana

Kizzy, you’re welcome!
Old 01-29-24, 05:47 AM  
AZY
VF Supporter

Great thread and amazing experiences all around!

As I’ve gotten older (63) trying to focus more on principles of longevity. Which means I’ve ramped down on intensity and tried to improve quality of the movement. Doing J Smith’s BUILD program and reading more about stability, I realized how much cheating I was doing with weight work. Now, focusing on lifting with good form, mobility and interval training for cardio mostly. Here are a couple of reads that give a high level description of this approach. I also try to incorporate Qi Gong and some meditation (which for me is the hardest of all of this but really helps set the day..). So lately have been doing a lot of Jessica Smith, Stick Mobility, the Ben Patrick knees over toes program, Holden Qi Gong, and Pro kettlebell workouts.

https://www.myprimalcoach.com/blog/w...hronic-cardio/

https://peterattiamd.com/peter-on-st...se-components/

Best wishes for finding that magic blend that works for you!
AZY is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aging, favorite type of workout, variety