Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-23-23, 11:15 AM  
bfit

Is rebounding "low impact"?

Is rebounding on a rebounder "low impact"? I'm not supposed to do high impact activities (like running or regular aerobics) after breaking my foot 2 1/2 years ago. I notice that various sites on the internet describe it as "low impact". My podiatrist first said "no", but then it turned out that he didn't even know what it was (he just thought "rebounding" sounded bad); then he said it was "probably OK".
bfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-23, 12:44 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

if you do light bouncing, it should be ok. even using it as a walking surface would be good.

i friend of mine had double knee surgery. his physical therapist's rehab plan for him was to bounce on 2 rebounders, one for each leg. he would put them close together and each leg would lightly bounce from one to the other.

i asked him why couldn't he just bounce on 1 rebounder? the therapist said that the angle and stance of 2 rebounders allowed for a better rehabilitative recovery for each knee and would force the patient to go slower.

this was in the 1990s and he bought 2 basic rebounders from K-mart. when he recovered, he gave one to me.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-23, 12:53 PM  
AsSweetAsSugar

I'd recommend getting one with bungee cords, I have tried both springs and bungees, and the latter is more gentle on the joints. You can do "health bounce" which is very gentle, check on YouTube to see what it looks like.

LMP - Grad/Aug 13 * TheRack - Grad/Nov 13 * PowerFit H - Grad/Jan 14 * FIF: SB - Grad/ Feb 14 * Cage/Box/KB 6WR - Comp/Mar 14 * Ugi/Kb/Pilates 6WR - Comp/May 14 * ThunderBell - Comp/Sep 14 * Obsidian - Comp/Jan 15 * JNL - DO/Sept 15 * D2S - Grad/Feb 16 * KbKb/TBS - Grad/Jun 16 * FusionMixx - Com/Aug 16 * F8F - Grad/Oct 16

Sonríe a la vida y ella te sonreíra siempre!
AsSweetAsSugar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-23, 01:08 PM  
laurajhawk

I agree that it’s low impact and that bungees are best. If you’re doing rebounding videos, be aware some include jumping on and off the rebounder; obviously don’t do that!

"Don't say 'I can't' ... say 'I presently suck at this thing.'" - Matt Meese, BYU Divine Comedy
laurajhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-23, 01:30 PM  
Vantreesta

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzar View Post
if you do light bouncing, it should be ok. even using it as a walking surface would be good.

i friend of mine had double knee surgery. his physical therapist's rehab plan for him was to bounce on 2 rebounders, one for each leg. he would put them close together and each leg would lightly bounce from one to the other.

i asked him why couldn't he just bounce on 1 rebounder? the therapist said that the angle and stance of 2 rebounders allowed for a better rehabilitative recovery for each knee and would force the patient to go slower.

this was in the 1990s and he bought 2 basic rebounders from K-mart. when he recovered, he gave one to me.
This is so interesting! I haven't rehabbed an injury in a while but just hearing this makes me feel justified that I almost bought a second one a few years ago!
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-23, 01:31 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurajhawk View Post
I agree that it’s low impact and that bungees are best. If you’re doing rebounding videos, be aware some include jumping on and off the rebounder; obviously don’t do that!
i agree. i currently own a Jumpsport and it really is gentler and quieter too.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-23, 03:51 PM  
warriorprincess

I'm actually surprised you can't do high impact after 2 1/2 years. Did it not heal correctly? In any case, I think rebounding would be quite a nice strengthening workout for your feet.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
You're only 1 workout away from a good mood.
warriorprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-23, 04:12 PM  
Gams

I broke my leg several years ago. It healed well and I have no issues with that leg at all (it’s actually been broken twice in my lifetime.) My orthopedic surgeon told me my days of doing high impact are over and I haven’t done any at all since. The older I get, the more cautious I’ve become.
Gams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-23, 04:19 PM  
Lannette

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsSweetAsSugar View Post
I'd recommend getting one with bungee cords, I have tried both springs and bungees, and the latter is more gentle on the joints. You can do "health bounce" which is very gentle, check on YouTube to see what it looks like.
Quote:
Originally Posted by laurajhawk View Post
Wish there was a “like” button. I agree bungees are the way to go. More gentle and quiet as well. Wearing supportive shoes, at least initially, may be a good idea.

Do you really want to look back on your life and see how wonderful it could have been had you not been afraid to live it? - Caroline Myss
Lannette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-23, 06:46 PM  
bfit

I'm in the same situation as Gams. My foot has healed just fine, but I've been told by three podiatrists, three physical therapists, and two doctors not to do high impact any more. I really miss it!
bfit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rebounding