Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-22-06, 08:52 PM  
MARIKA

Thanks Calistro!

I know , we do so good but sometimes to me it just doesn't seem fair!
Old 09-22-06, 08:55 PM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARIKA
I guess what I am trying to get across is this..... I as well as most of you here work out pretty intensely! I know I do. I just get tired of seeing celebrities an such saying they get their abs in shape doing 500 crunches. Please I could do 500 crunches & dishes at the same time. It just bothers me that I do everything right & don't get results like those out there do!!
Without access to their private medical records, there's no way we'll ever know for sure exactly how they got to look the way they do.

Drop Two Sizes, Fit Body Blueprint, STRONG Eat. Lift. Thrive. and Revamp grad

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-06, 10:04 PM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

I was doing an old Stott tape the other day. The woman who was demonstrating the exercises was lean but curvy. She had a definite indentation at the waist and her hips curved out. It made me realize how rarely you see this body type, even the lean version of it, as leads in fitness videos.

I love Cathe and Kari, but I could no more have their body type than I could fly.
Old 09-23-06, 06:14 AM  
Bebop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane P.
I was doing an old Stott tape the other day. The woman who was demonstrating the exercises was lean but curvy. She had a definite indentation at the waist and her hips curved out. It made me realize how rarely you see this body type, even the lean version of it, as leads in fitness videos.

Sounds like an hourglass figure. That is my bodytype and I, too, wish there were more hourglass fitness leads. I
Bebop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-06, 06:19 AM  
antbuko

I think the Firm leads come in a variety of body types. Allie is pretty curvey.
Old 09-23-06, 06:22 AM  
DRD0

I think it is diet and time. I did Cathe's August 2005 rotation and took pictures afterwards. I also switched up my diet a bit as well, doing WW core(that is all I will say about diet). I lost 3 pounds that month, which is not a lot, but I leaned out and dropped a size and there was a definate difference. Cathe works out at a high level all the time. It is her job. My job is to sit on my behind, and my behind starts to look like I sit on it all the time. Her job is to move it, and it looks like it. Most of us do not have the time, or the inclination to spend that kind of time, and be that disciplined with our diet to look like that.

That said, I had a male co-worker tell me my arms were quite buff, and asked what I was doing. Now, the arms are not totally Cathe, swimming helps a lot, but at age 45, it is nice to know they are not waggling in the wind.
DRD0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-06, 07:02 AM  
icey

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARIKA
I guess what I am trying to get across is this..... I as well as most of you here work out pretty intensely! I know I do. I just get tired of seeing celebrities an such saying they get their abs in shape doing 500 crunches. Please I could do 500 crunches & dishes at the same time. It just bothers me that I do everything right & don't get results like those out there do!!
Mind you I am in one of my moods as far as results go. I have been doing CTX for over 4 weeks So I have seen the difference in Cathe since then & now & think it is amazing that she can do that.
Hollywood is fantasyland. Most do not eat properly, meaning many women have some type of eating disorder to stay skinny, not slim. And the best plastic surgeons, besides Brazil, are right in Hollywood. Lipo this afternoon, anyone? Yes, they work out but they do MANY embellishments for their looks and remember magazine covers are notorious for airbrushing all these celebs into looking like someone else.
Old 09-23-06, 07:25 AM  
SharonNYC
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by icey
Hollywood is fantasyland. Most do not eat properly, meaning many women have some type of eating disorder to stay skinny, not slim. And the best plastic surgeons, besides Brazil, are right in Hollywood. Lipo this afternoon, anyone? Yes, they work out but they do MANY embellishments for their looks and remember magazine covers are notorious for airbrushing all these celebs into looking like someone else.
And don't forget smoking. It's very popular for weight management in the fashion and entertainment industries (speeds up peristalsis and helps control hunger. Want lunch? Have a cigarette instead). I've spent lots of time at NYC's fashion week venue (I worked at the front institution) and it's always suprising to see the enormously high percentage of smokers.
I'm what I am, and what I am,
Is back on Boogie Street.

Leonard Cohen/Sharon Robinson "Boogie Street" 10 New Songs.

(I have a professional/personal relationship with an instructor who produces video and book material relevant to this site.)

Last edited by SharonNYC; 09-23-06 at 09:06 AM. Reason: Typos
SharonNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-06, 08:41 AM  
mspina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbie S.
The common denominator between Cathe in the Hardcore series and Liz is diet. I have no doubt that both of them gain some bodyfat back after they're done with either filming or competiting.

Abbe, you are so right about having external motivators. Even though I ended up not being able to compete because of my car accidents, I did train hard and diet hard for a competition that I was supposed to compete in back in 1995. I also always watched my diet. Now that I don't have this external motivator any longer, there is no way that I will ever diet to the extreme that is necessary to look so cut. Dieting like this just zaps all the fun out of my life.

Another person that I really want to point out is LindaL. She's Beachbody's September success story. My goodness, her transformation is amazing.
Absolutely Debbie! And there are a number of "real" people on the BB forum who have posted their transformations, and they are amazing. And these are people with jobs, and children and lives. You don't have to be in the industry to obtain results at that level. You just have to have determination - equally distributed across the exercise and **nutrition** fronts.

You can exercise like a fiend, but if you aren't properly fueling your body, you just aren't going to see the results of your hard work. There's just no getting around that. As others have already mentioned, Cathe has said numerous times that it was cleaning up her diet, in addition to starting to lift heavy, that gave her the results we are now seeing. But she definitely stresses the diet aspect, as does everyone else in the industry. Most people just prefer to ignore that bit of the puzzle.

Random Stuff:
  • Spinervals Team Member Triathlon Coach
  • Avid CrossFitter
  • Former Triathlon Fanatic
  • 2008 Boston Marathon Finisher
  • Cast member in IronGirl StrEndurance workout (released 12/07)

mspina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-06, 09:38 AM  
icey

Quote:
Originally Posted by mspina
You can exercise like a fiend, but if you aren't properly fueling your body, you just aren't going to see the results of your hard work. There's just no getting around that. As others have already mentioned, Cathe has said numerous times that it was cleaning up her diet, in addition to starting to lift heavy, that gave her the results we are now seeing. But she definitely stresses the diet aspect, as does everyone else in the industry. Most people just prefer to ignore that bit of the puzzle.
Agreed. Many post on this board about not getting results and again, they do not want to address the "D" word. If you are not going to take the effort to clean up your diet, along with the effort of your fitness regime, you will only see "ok" results. You can get the results of Cathe by cleaning your nutrition up and lifting heavy. She did not get those cuts by a 25lb barbell.

Tags
cathe, instructors appearance