Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-25-06, 08:05 AM  
Peggy T
VF Supporter

I don't mind tattoos on others, but I'd never get one. I don't have pierced ears, either. The whole idea has seemed sort of barbaric to me.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.
-Will Rogers
Peggy T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-06, 08:39 AM  
cjo42a

I am not a tattoo lover. I do think Allie's are tasteful and attractive though which is why you probably haven't noticed them Geoff.

However, yes, they are distracting to me. I have spent more time than I'd like to admit imagining the discussions at Firm Inc about whether to cover up Allie's tattoos with makeup for the videos (that must be possible). Just as I spend time wondering whether they hire dialog coaches for those instructors that need accent help and how much time they are spending getting made up vs. exercising. But I LIKE distractions so that is fine.
Old 04-25-06, 08:57 AM  
MARIKA

It doesn't look good!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbe
I thought of Allie, too. They don't matter to me one way or another. I do wonder though, what happens to tattoos as people age and the skin elasticity changes .
After a while that fade & have a dirty looking appearance to them. My SIl had a unicorn done a few years back. I thought it was the coolest tattoo I ever saw. Today -2 kids later, it doesn't have the same appeal. She wants it removed. With all the young kids getting them done I always told my kids to wait. It's like would you want to wear the same shoes you did when you were 5?
Old 04-25-06, 09:07 AM  
Francesca

Lol!

This is such a fun thread! OK, as someone who got a tattoo way back before it was mainstream, and whose culture at the time was ultra conservative, and who works in a very conservative profession.....

1) Think hard before you get one - if you'll want to cover it, make sure it will be easy
2) Think about the way skin ages or stretches in the area you want it in
3) One colour is somehow more acceptable than colourful....

(This is why I have a little dragon on my foot - easy to conceal with shoes, feet don't really change, etcetc)

But it's funny how differently we see things. In Malta, it's pretty normal for people in villages to pierce their daughters' ears when they are very young. In towns, it's regarded as barbaric. My mother made me wait till I was 18 to pierce. Then of course I pierced more than one hole. BUT I hate multiple piercings and would never pierce my belly button (or anywhere else for that matter - shudder) - and belly button piercings have become so common it's untrue. There are diplomats here in Spain who have pierced eyebrows, noses, even a tongue or lip - and there I was worried about my tiny dragon!
Francesca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-06, 09:17 AM  
terribleterra
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARIKA
After a while that fade & have a dirty looking appearance to them. My SIl had a unicorn done a few years back. I thought it was the coolest tattoo I ever saw. Today -2 kids later, it doesn't have the same appeal. She wants it removed.
That's why you get them retouched!
With or without the stresses of having children, tattoos over time will fade and lose it's edges.

Quote:
With all the young kids getting them done I always told my kids to wait. It's like would you want to wear the same shoes you did when you were 5?
I understand the point you are trying to make, but the analogy is off to me.
Tattoos are not shoes. To some, tattoos are a way to heal, a way to show other people and to remind yourself that you have made it through some kind adversity or troubled time. To most, and probably not to the Britney Spears fans who get them just to get them, tattoos are very personal.

Christine S. - thanks for the link. It was very interesting to read other people's stories behind their tattoos.

To live in this world, you must be able to do three things: to love what is mortal; to hold it against your bones knowing your life depends on it; and when the time comes, to let go. ~ Mary Oliver
terribleterra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-06, 09:48 AM  
Debbie S.
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan p
I don't mind tattoos. I like little ones. I like Allie's. I've even thought about getting one myself.

And therein lies the problem. If *I* would get a tattoo, then they are way too mainstream. By the time I am warmed up to an idea, it is already passe. I mean, for pete's sake, YOUNG REPUBLICANS are getting tattoos. Frat boys are getting tattoos.

They've just become, I don't know how to put it, so BRITNEY SPEARS somehow, so pop culture.

They used to be kind of alternative and edgy, now they're just too commonplace.

I should've gotten one 15 years ago. It's too LATE now! Sigh. I am always behind the times. I'm your negative indicator, people.
Susan, it's never too late!

My brother and SIL both got their tattoos a couple of years ago when they were 45. My SIL's is on her foot. It's beautifully done. It's a Hawaiian theme, the honu/turtle and a plumeria. Honu stands for family.
Don't Compare Yourself to somebody else. BE YOUR BEST! Chalene Johnson

A Spark of Hope

In memory of:
Michael Sparkman
October 11th, 2001-October 21st, 2008
Hope Fimiani
August 26th, 2006-October 13th, 2008
Debbie S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-06, 10:29 AM  
MARIKA

I was trying to point out, We all change after time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by terribleterra
That's why you get them retouched!
With or without the stresses of having children, tattoos over time will fade and lose it's edges.

I understand the point you are trying to make, but the analogy is off to me.
Tattoos are not shoes. To some, tattoos are a way to heal, a way to show other people and to remind yourself that you have made it through some kind adversity or troubled time. To most, and probably not to the Britney Spears fans who get them just to get them, tattoos are very personal.

Christine S. - thanks for the link. It was very interesting to read other people's stories behind their tattoos.
Most things I had or did or was when I was 20, I would not want to own or wear now.
Old 04-25-06, 12:37 PM  
terribleterra
VF Supporter

Quote:
Most things I had or did or was when I was 20, I would not want to own or wear now.
I guess that's why there is a phase , such as "to each his/her own."

To live in this world, you must be able to do three things: to love what is mortal; to hold it against your bones knowing your life depends on it; and when the time comes, to let go. ~ Mary Oliver
terribleterra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-06, 01:43 PM  
lfcjasp
Exchange Moderator

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan p
I don't mind tattoos. I like little ones. I like Allie's. I've even thought about getting one myself.

And therein lies the problem. If *I* would get a tattoo, then they are way too mainstream. By the time I am warmed up to an idea, it is already passe. I mean, for pete's sake, YOUNG REPUBLICANS are getting tattoos. Frat boys are getting tattoos.

They've just become, I don't know how to put it, so BRITNEY SPEARS somehow, so pop culture.

They used to be kind of alternative and edgy, now they're just too commonplace.

I should've gotten one 15 years ago. It's too LATE now! Sigh. I am always behind the times. I'm your negative indicator, people.

Susan, you and I could hardly be more alike on this. But still I do entertain the idea. One reason I don't mind tattoos may be that we're a Navy family...only DH (retired Bosun's Mate!) has none And he's the one who should, right? Anyway, if I ever get one it will be small and pretty or related to my Celtic heritage (they wore tattoos I believe...another reason).

Re: the pierced ears, my sister and I (we're the two oldest of the four) asked if we could get our ears pierced while in high school and it was the hot fad...and were shocked when our ultra-conservative dad said it was a good idea!!! After all his first generation, Bohemian (Czech) mother had always had pierced ears...this is how they all wore their earrings!

As to instructors with tattoos, I was surprised by Allie's, but they don't bother me. She's too cute to be bothersome anyway! I don't really pay much attention once I'm used to them.
Old 04-25-06, 03:26 PM  
SurferGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaraQ
Which makes me think of Michael Scofield from Prison Break. Where in the world is he going to hide with that big ol' tattoo!

MY PLACE!!
SurferGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
deltaman, instructers appearance, instructors appearance