Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-25-22, 12:23 PM  
kat999

Yoga Booty Ballet rotation

Years ago, I rented a few of the Yoga Booty Ballet discs from Netflix (when that was still a thing), and I loved them and would rent them repeatedly. I now wish I had just bought the set, because ever since I sometimes miss them and felt like they really filled an interesting niche.

Over the years, I would occasionally check online marketplaces for any of them, and would have trouble finding exactly what I was looking for. The other day, I finally caved and bought a multi-pack used set on eBay for a very reasonable price. This set includes:

- Original DVD, including Beginner: Quickstart (14 minute routine), Total Toning Basics (45 minutes), and advanced Abs & Booty (60 minutes)
- Master series 2-disc set, including Goddess Booty (25 minutes) and Yoga Core (30 minutes)
- Live 2-disc set, including Latin Flavor (40 minutes) and Light & Easy (50 minutes)
- Second Live 2-disc set, including Hip Hop Abs (49 minutes) and Cardio Cabaret (36 minutes)

So this is in total 9 workouts (although I will probably only do Quickstart once), and I got it all for under 20 bucks. I know there might be others, but depending on how I like all this, this might be all I stick with. I've been focusing lately on outdoor running as my almost sole form of exercise, and then the other day I got a rowing machine, so what I'm thinking about doing for the next month or two is rotating between those three modalities: running, rowing, and YBB. I'm going to post my experiences with YBB in this thread, so if you're a fan, jump on in and tell me if I should splurge and find others, which ones you like and don't like, and follow along if you want!

Today, I think I'm going to do 20 minutes of rowing and then the 14-minute Quickstart workout.
Old 06-25-22, 12:55 PM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Love my YBBs! Off the top of my head it looks like you don't have the second disc from the original set which includes 3 progressive ab workouts, a sculpting with weights routine and a flow yoga routine.

Live - Bollywood, Go Go, Complete Body Shaping

Master Series - Goddess Abs, AM Latte, Pajama Time

I look forward to reading about your YBB experiences! And being motivated to use mine more often.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-22, 01:50 PM  
kat999

Thanks for the guidance on which ones I'm still missing, Pat! I'll see if I can find those.

I did the Quickstart session, which is just about 9 minutes of light demo, followed by a 5-minute meditation, which I remembered almost as soon as it started. I liked that it guides you through different mudras, which I find super interesting, and it's a nice change of pace from meditation sessions where you just sit or lie still. I can get very fidgety, so the different hand positions were very helpful.

Even though this was mostly demo, I did some light jogging during the verbal intro and continued doing pliés and squats as they showed what to do/not to do, so after the whole session I did have a light calorie burn. I'll probably do the meditation session every so often but won't really need to do the demo section again.

Gillian and Teigh are very inspiring and relaxing.

ETA: I was able to find all the missing ones on eBay, too, so now everything is winging its way to me! Yay!
Old 06-26-22, 10:32 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Woo hoo! Nice score!
Old 06-26-22, 02:13 PM  
moonbeam31

Sounds like a great plan! What kind of rowing machine did you get, I have been looking into them myself. I like using it at the gym a lot!
moonbeam31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-22, 02:15 PM  
moonbeam31

Also, have you checked Thriftbooks.com, they have a lot of workout dvds mostly for $3-$5
Old 06-26-22, 02:58 PM  
kat999

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonbeam31 View Post
Sounds like a great plan! What kind of rowing machine did you get, I have been looking into them myself. I like using it at the gym a lot!
It's just Sunny Health & Fitness brand. I found it on Amazon for under $150 (I had some gift cards, and I couldn't justify spending too much more if I wasn't sure I'd like it). It's VERY basic, but it works and supports the weight of even my very tall husband. The only downside is that because of the type of mechanism it uses, you can only use it for 20 minutes at a time in case of overheating. Which is completely fine; I don't want to do longer rowing sessions anyway, tbh.
Old 06-26-22, 09:50 PM  
moonbeam31

I think that brand is the one I've been looking at too! 20 mins is perfect for rowing !
Old 07-03-22, 12:17 PM  
kat999

So I've still been rowing and love it, but today I finally got to the next YBB workout, Total Toning Basics. This is 46 minutes long and is segmented as dance/yoga warmup, ballet, cardio/toning, yoga, abs, stretch, and meditation. I love that you're not doing any one segment for very long. The music is just as good as I remember, and Gillian and Teigh are both really cute and fun. There are few times during the yoga and stretch segments when it's hard to hear their cuing, but since they're very big on "do your own thing if this isn't working for you," that didn't bug me too much. Even though I feel like I'm pretty advanced at yoga and barre and some of the moves throughout are deceptively easy, there were still a lot of poses in especially ballet and yoga that were very tough for me. My favorite segments were the cardio/toning, abs, and meditation.

I love that I can get a really great fusion workout barefoot and in such a short time. I burned almost 250 calories and feel really relaxed without experiencing overexertion. I think going forward if there are moves I find too tough I'll either just swap them out or do them a little slower until I get better.

Now that I have the entire set of all YBB DVDs, I'm even more excited to proceed with this rotation! It's actually perfect for this time of year, I feel like, because the scenery is very sunny-day-in-California.

ETA: The cardio/toning segment was so much like the four-limb segments in the FIRM (which I am basically obsessed with), so that felt honestly great. I didn't use weights this time, but it seems super easy to progress from 1s or 2s up to as high as 5. I wouldn't go higher than that, though, because it's very high rep.
Old 07-04-22, 09:51 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

I love that long one in the original set! The ballet part is tough and the dance is fun. And I love any of the originals with Andy, he's a cutie.

Tags
instructors, standing yoga, ybb, ybb rotations, yoga booty ballet