Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-05-20, 11:16 AM  
TinaT

Pilates Ring Recommendations

I have a couple of dvds that use the ring, (which I owned years ago). I know when it comes to equipment, what was good back then, might not be now. So, I'm looking for recommendations for a quality ring and any other workouts that use it, that you find to be effective.

I had the ring Karen Voight uses in her WOs. TIA for the help.
TinaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-20, 11:42 AM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

My first ring was a Spri brand which was padded all around - lasted maybe 10 yrs - from Costco:
https://www.amazon.com/SPRI-Pilates-.../dp/B002BSQU6C

I bought this Danskin ring at Walmart and so far it's holding up - i use it less often than i had used my Spri:

https://www.varagesale.com/i/4qyqdwu...-unused-in-box

i liked the Spri a lot due to the fact that it was padded all the way around. it lost its shape when the "seam" where it had been "joined" stayed bent rather than springing back into an arc. the seam was located in one area of the ring away from one of the handles.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-20, 12:07 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Hi Tina!
I believe Linda from Barlates has some Pilates ring workouts. I haven’t done any of them, but I suspect they would be good and challenging. I do my circle workouts on ePilates Online.

ETA I have a magic circle ring, not sure who it’s made by. It’s very sturdy, I bought it used at a thrift store. It’s similar to this:
https://www.amazon.ca/Mantra-Sport-P...8-9&th=1&psc=1

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-20, 12:22 PM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

I have several pilates rings but my favorite is one that was part of a kit that included a dvd by Suzanne Bowen. Unfortunately I can't remember the name of the kit by Suzanne and if the ring is available outside of that kit. Maybe a search could bring it up?

My favorite pilates ring workouts are by Bernadette Giorgi, the circle workout and also the workout on her Express dvd. I also like Mari Winsor's circle workouts.

ETA -- I think it may have been a Lara Hudson weight watchers kit with the pilates ring. I tried searching but couldn't come up with anything. Sorry my post seems to be a complete waste of time now.
summer breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-20, 01:54 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

forgot to add which workouts i like - Karen Voight for sure, Ana Caban and Madeleine Lewis.

i have a DVD by Linda Wooldridge which was designed as a yoga wheel workout, but honestly, it would have worked with a pilates ring.

i bet you could find some good pilates ring workouts on youtube.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-20, 06:30 PM  
VainJane

I have a ProSource Magic Circle I bought many years ago on Amazon and it's held up great over the years. I just tried looking for it again but it appears that Amazon isn't carrying it anymore. There are plenty others that look the same though. Just make sure you get one with the proper handles, not the ones with the flimsy-looking wrappings, because you'll be holding it between your ankles and squeezing with your legs a lot.

As for workouts, there are plenty on Pilatesology (you can filter by Magic Circle under Equipment), and if you like books, this one has several great Magic Circle sections, and is a great Pilates book in general.
VainJane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-20, 08:07 PM  
TinaT

Thank you all for suggestions. I'll look at them all.
TinaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-20, 08:32 AM  
sheepla
VF Supporter

I love pilates ring workouts. My favorites are Mari Winsor and Ana Caban. There are also a ton of good full length pilates ring workouts available on YouTube.

Tags
magic circle, pilates ring