Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-12-16, 12:45 PM  
JENILU

Recent Karen Voight Interview..

I didn't know if anyone would be interested, but the woman STILL LOOKS AWESOME and healthy. I found this completely by accident, and it was just nice to see her, so thought I'd share.

(Don't know anything about this channel, like I said it was just in a random search)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0AErNIOs8c

If You Argue for Your Limitations, You Get to Keep Them!

"Accept responsibility for your life. Know it is you who will get you where you want to go, noone else." Les Brown
JENILU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-16, 12:50 PM  
dbclark44

Thanks for posting the link. It's fairly recent too. I need to get off the computer and go workout before I sit down and watch it though or else I'll be feeling guilty the whole time I'm listening.

Rotations are an immunization against procrastination.
dbclark44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-16, 12:53 PM  
JENILU

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbclark44 View Post
Thanks for posting the link. It's fairly recent too. I need to get off the computer and go workout before I sit down and watch it though or else I'll be feeling guilty the whole time I'm listening.
LOL! I would do that!!

"Accept responsibility for your life. Know it is you who will get you where you want to go, noone else." Les Brown
Old 06-12-16, 01:50 PM  
Taiga

Thanks for posting Always good to hear from her and the parts I listened to sounded like the same sensible/solid thinking that she has provided for decades. I thought the filming/interview itself were a little subpar and laughed when the interviewer said Karen had been providing fitness instruction for over a decade (uh, make that several!!).

I do feel somewhat sad (and hesitant to mention it for obvious reasons) because Karen's features have been changed so much that it is getting tougher to recognize her. I used to think of her as a strength icon but over time I worry that she was more haunted by demands on her external appearance. I wish our fitness "heroes" wouldn't feel subjected to that pressure and could just age naturally. I'm always impressed by the effects of exercise alone in keeping us strong and the best we can be. Everyone's individual choice of course but I wish we didn't even have to think twice that we are beautiful without alteration.

I tread lightly with this topic because per VF guidelines we aren't supposed to criticize instructor appearance. I'm commenting more specifically that this is not "her" appearance at all. The focus for me is that a strong role model like Karen should have always felt "perfect" based on her accomplishments, drive and contribution. As much as I don't want any hassle discussing it, I feel like that if we don't keep pushing for less demands on the external part of our beings, we'll never have true acceptance and the peace that comes with it. I remember reading a Keli Robert's interview where she discussed her eating disorder and the huge pressure she felt competing with Karen Voight's "perfect physique". These were strong, kickbutt women and as a teen I really looked up to them. I think what bothers me the most is that even with all that strength/physical capability they were being crushed by the same insecurities crushing the "bikini"girl (see other thread). Our society really needs to do better.
Old 06-12-16, 01:57 PM  
JENILU

She may have realized those things over the years.(I hope)
You can tell she has aged. The message was about being good to your body, especially as you age, so I really don't think there is an unhealthy message here at all. i see what you are saying, but noone should feel like they have to compete with another's personal choices anyway. I have not done her workouts as much as some others have, but I just thought it was a nice message. (It is also possible that this interview is older than that date. I thought about that later. I have no idea and I have never seen it, so thought I'd share). I just really liked the mature message of being good to yourself and listening to your body.

Old 06-12-16, 02:10 PM  
Taiga

Quote:
Originally Posted by JENILU View Post
She may have realized those things over the years.(I hope)....... I just really liked the mature message of being good to yourself and listening to your body.
I liked that part, too. I feel (like Keli) she must have been under a huge amt of pressure back then and I don't imagine it was peaceful. On a brighter note, I also really like the Nia Shanks link that another Vfer posted in the other thread.
Old 06-12-16, 02:16 PM  
JENILU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiga View Post
I liked that part, too. I feel (like Keli) she must have been under a huge amt of pressure back then and I don't imagine it was peaceful. On a brighter note, I also really like the Nia Shanks link that another Vfer posted in the other thread.
Thankyou! i hadn't seen that.

Old 06-14-16, 03:43 AM  
Anny

I enjoyed seeing Karen again - I still love her in the Best Body workout with Elle Macpherson.
Old 06-14-16, 08:12 AM  
eam531
VF Supporter

Thanks for posting. I still do Karen's workouts and she is one of my favorite instructors, bar none.

I agree with Taiga's post; however, I doubt that it is realistic for people in the public eye, especially people who work in the fitness industry in LA.

There is no way of telling people they are all walking around shining like the sun--Thomas Merton

People have done all kinds of remarkable things because they thought they could. People routinely fail to do quite ordinary things because they assume they can't--Reinhard Engels

Stay gold, Ponyboy--S.E. Hinton

Pick up your crazy heart and give it one more try--Ryan Bingham

Disclosure: I have a personal relationship with a fitness instructor who has appeared in some videos.
eam531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-16, 01:27 PM  
JENILU

I think most people have their weaknesses and personal reasons for things. Almost like saying a preacher has to act better than other christians, lol. I don't like some of her choices, but I didn't post because of that. I liked getting to see her again after so long. I think she is a gifted instructor, even with her human failings. I'm sorry. I had no idea I was stirring up hard feelings of any kind. I apologize.

Tags
aging, ballet bodysculpt, instructors appearance, karen voight, peer pressure, plastic surgery