Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-19-16, 02:52 PM  
cherimac

Quote:
Originally Posted by weighttrain View Post
I agree, when teaching or taking PiYo or Pop Pilates I omit the high impact moves such as burpees and plank jacks. I don't see the purpose behind the exercise in these formats. The majority of the population cannot safely perform one Burpee, and when I watch my instructional DVD I cringe at the cast members form.

Too many formats are shoulder heavy IMO
So true, Beth.
Old 03-19-16, 02:57 PM  
sherry7899

I sold my set on VF Roost. I found the workouts too repetitive and too shoulder intensive. I have to stop jumping on bandwagon sets.

Sherry

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-16, 09:32 AM  
TinaT

I've suggested/encouraged my daughter to mix them in with what's she's already doing to add variety. She's seeing great results with Booty Barre workouts, Tracy Effinger, Les Mills Combat. And like I said before, she's a runner so I think she'll have a good a variety to draw from.
TinaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-16, 12:51 PM  
raeven

I definitely think the younger and in shape crowd would like these. I bought the entire set and the sliding discs and workouts for them. I've done almost all the workouts at least once. I'm pretty overweight so it's a tough workout for me, but I am looking forward to getting more out of them when I lose a lot of weight and can better perform the moves. One thing I wasn't too crazy about though, is she did a lot of talk before it was released about how it wasn't a very yoga workout. But after getting it and trying, I found it a lot more yoga-like than I was wanting. I don't remember much about the workouts at the moment since it's been a long time since I've done them, I just remember that was the main thing that struck me odd. For now, for me it sits and waits. I'll see more how I feel about it in a couple of months when I'm in better shape!
raeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-16, 07:36 AM  
kathym
VF Supporter

I like the PIYO base package. I usually do the define upper/lower, sweat, core, and strength. I absolutely watched the align first for form pointers as they were very nice. For yoga and Pilates purists this would not probably be for you but for someone like me that wants a flowing stretch with some strength it is quite nice. Chalene does not push and always has a modifier present. She has frequent reminders to put weight into the legs which I found helpful. For me I like these and would buy more of the intermediate variety. As a point of reference I am older than 30's/40's so do not see an age issue if you have been working out at an intermediate level and start with the align.
Old 03-22-16, 08:55 AM  
seww

I thought the whole set was a little boring and not challenging enough.
I never used it as a stand alone workout always as an add on.
Sue
seww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-16, 09:01 AM  
angie_nrs

I just ran across the Piyo informercial. I was intrigued and I remembered this thread popping up a few days back. I'm glad I read through it. It's not often that I am disabled instead of enabled by VFers. But, this is one of those instances. Thank you all for your honest reviews. This doesn't sound like something I must have now. And, quite honestly, I don't need yet another set to just sit on the shelf.....I have plenty of those.
Old 03-23-16, 11:59 AM  
TinaT

I finally received Piyo and now we'll see if my daughter will use it. She's really loving Tracey Mallett and Tracy Effinger for sure. She does plan to mix it in and not do it as a system. (I'm relieved for that). I'll let everyone know how it turns out.
Old 03-24-16, 05:49 PM  
TinaT

So that was very short lived. My daughter tried one, but unfortunately she doesn't click with Chalene. She was neutral with the workout itself. I told her there are too many choices out there to settle. So, she'll find something else to blend in with what she's already doing.

I'm glad she tried it and got it out of her system.

Tags
chalene johnson, piyo