Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-04-23, 06:56 AM  
sciencelady

Crone Cronies - When all else fails, take a vacation. 6/4

The Cronies is a place for women who are mature in age or attitude. The group is highly diverse in that we have ages ranging from 30s to 60s, some are moms, some are single, some are teachers/professors, and some have jobs and work outside the home and some don’t. We do our own thing and are happy when life doesn’t get in the way too often. Some are training for a marathon, some don’t even do vids, you get the picture.

Life and exercise are what we report. A thread is started every Sunday. Some report every day, others whenever they can.

Bottom line: we are a diverse group and very supportive of each other’s goals. Oh, and we’re funny as heck. If you’d like to join us, just come on down.
sciencelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-23, 07:08 AM  
sciencelady

Good morning!

Planning on putzing around the garden a bit and getting things watered. I’ll be going out to a friend’s new apartment and help her move in - all the stuff is there already, but I assume in boxes still. Otherwise putzing. I didn’t do any scraping yesterday - waiting till later this week when we’ll finally be out of the 90’s. I got a lot of bed laundry done yesterday!

Laura, sounds like you had a nice productive day! I’m sure cross-contamination is a big chapter of importance in your book. Today is another day in the 90’s - hopefully the last for the rest of the week. It’s kind of freaky to have so many days in the 90’s - I hope it’s not a climate change thing. I think it’s kind of sad to have to stupidify your writing for the masses…

Paula, on blueberry bread! I don’t recall much of anything I’ve regretted giving away…. I remember lots of stuff I’ve given, but not really missing it or replacing it.

Waves to all!

Anita
Old 06-04-23, 07:05 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

It was a nice day for me. We went to church virtually this morning. And I did a grocery store pick-up. And I made a couple of cards. And that's about it. I completely forgot I had intended to cook for DH this evening. Oh well. He figured something out.

This afternoon, I went over to Mom and Dad's to hang out. We ended up having a big and significant discussion. They wanted to let me know about their overall financial situation and the basic results of their will. All of that was fine. It's their money and it was exactly what I expected. But they commented that if we hadn't moved here into a house a mile from them that they might have already moved into a smaller place with less maintenance. But we've all so enjoyed living so close that they haven't wanted to move. I responded with an idea that Larry and I had talked about over the years and that we had mentioned to them after moving down here 5+ years ago. That is for us all to sell our houses and buy one that has two living units, one where we have our individual space, but where we're close enough to give more support. They were immediately intrigued and excited about the possibility and are going to do some research. That's not a decision because Larry wasn't there and we are a long way from it, but we may be headed toward that decision at some point.

Anita - It's ironic. We have yet to hit 90 degrees this year. That's really unusual in central North Carolina. And here you are dealing with those temps over days. I'm always surprised when I use a biggish, but not unusual, word and am prompted to use a shorter word.

Paula - That is so nice of you. I am making a list of beta readers, people who read the book after the big editing phases to give feedback on how the book works. I'd love you add you to that list.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-23, 09:20 PM  
Paula
VF Supporter

Good evening. Workout this morning was Pahla B Body Shaping Day 13 Walking with Weights followed by Tamilee Standing Stretch. Decided to skip the PT routine today, just needed a break for a day.

Groceries and food prep today, also got got the roses dead headed and things watered. The sun came out about 1:00 pm today and it was actually nice while I was working with the plants.

Anita, you're a good friend. I've helped a few people unpack, what they wanted the most was help with was setting up the kitchen. Unpacking and putting away dishes takes a long time and another eye on how to set things up is a big help. The items I regret giving away were all things I loved at one time and wore but gave away when I gained weight and they didn't fit anymore. Then I lost weight and could wear them again now and they're gone. I particularly miss a summer dress I bought in Mexico, it wasn't anything unique or special but it had good memories attached.

Laura, interesting conversation you had with your parents. Setting up your living arrangement for mutual support is an excellent idea (IMHO). Side by side condos are an option where each family gets there own home but are there for each other. When we bought our first condo there was a couple living in one near us and their adult daughter and her husband lived in the same complex, not in the same building but a short walk away. When I was in elementary school my grandparents lived in the house next door, worked out well for all of us at the time. Yes, please do add me to your list of beta readers.
Paula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-23, 06:54 AM  
sciencelady

Good morning!

Planning on working at the WRC for ducklings, taking a walk, and putzing around - maybe some more scraping as temps should be cooler this week. I did do some garden watering and weeding yesterday and went to my friend’s apartment to help her unpack. She had lots of stuff! It’ll be nice that now she’s a half hour away from me instead of hours away! I don’t think I’ll have more than 30% of what she has! I’ll need to stop by a store and get some new pillows - I tossed mine last night - too lumpy!

Laura, nice on the paired living for your parents! My parents did that with my brother and his wife - they bought a huge house with two floors and my parents lived on top and my brother in the basement - the basement was open to the back yard, so nice! I have the same thing in my house, but they didn’t want to move up to the Twin Cities to live with me - much smaller space than the house they bought! After my parents passed they moved up to the main floor and a relative lived downstairs. Now she’s living in her father’s old house after he passed and some kids/grandkids come in and stay with them. I’m glad to have the apartment downstairs - I’ve had friends stay with me for several months and Adelija stayed with me for her school year. I’m not a fan of dumbing down writing .

Paula, I tried clearing their office room, which was full of boxes and stuff from the movers. Not everything there was for the office area so lots got taken elsewhere in the apartment. She’s on the NE side of the complex she’s living in so it was nice to see the level of light in her place - I’ll be on the NE end of my building. I had given away my smaller sized clothing also and now I’m losing some weight - sigh. So far still wearing my older clothing, but if I lose more I’ll have to pick up some pants! I had some skirts I gave away that had great memories associated with them.

Waves to all!

Anita
Old 06-05-23, 04:53 PM  
Vantreesta

We spent the holiday weekend with my father-in-law and then Monday drove over to the North Shore and spent Tuesday through Saturday noon in the Boundary Waters Canoe Area, canoeing and camping. We hadn't gone since 2019 and it was so good to get out into the wilderness, completely unplugged for a while (although I desperately missed my baseball!). We got home Saturday night and I will not lie, a hot shower, real food and our comfy bed were most welcome! And I made hubby listen to baseball the whole way home. I picked Cyric up yesterday and was so happy to have him back home too. He has been sticking pretty close to me. We really had a nice time. We didn't get to see any moose or bear this time but we did see trumpeter swans, loons, ducks, turtles, a frog, a snake and a very angry red squirrel who we seriously thought was going to jump off the branch onto me! He did not like that I wouldn't let him sneak into our food pack! Oh and the last morning before we headed out we watched a marten swim across the lake and climb up into our campsite. I never knew they look so much like ferrets! It was hot even up there but we only had a little rain so it was nice not to be wet all the time.

Mon 5/29 10 minutes MEMORIAL DAY--UP NORTH
10 minutes (from toe yoga)

Tue 5/30 206 minutes BWCA high 82
206 minutes (from 9.17 mi canoeing & portaging)

Wed 5/31 101 minutes BWCA high 83
101 minutes (from 3.92 mi canoeing & portaging)

Thu 6/1 217 minutes BWCA high 85
217 minutes (from 8.71 mi canoeing & portaging)

Fri 6/2 80 minutes BWCA high 91
80 minutes (from 3.07 mi canoeing & portaging)

Sat 6/3 37 minutes BWCA
37 minutes (from 1.42 mi canoeing & portaging)

Sun 6/4 33 minutes
10 minutes (from toe yoga)
23 minutes (from 2 dog walks 1.45 mi)
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-23, 08:35 PM  
Paula
VF Supporter

Good evening. Workout this morning was a neighborhood walk with DH – we had to short that short as it started raining (sigh). Also Karen Voight Pure and Simple Stretch, the Floor Stretch and my PT routine.
Weather wasn’t nice for doing anything outdoors so we just did chores. DH went to the hangar and did some things he’d been putting off I stayed home got the living room dusted, made a big bowl of pasta salad, etc. A productive if a bit boring day.

Anita, I’m glad you enjoyed helping your friend. It will be nice to have her closer. Yeah, you’re doing the right thing downsizing now. I think I have the solution for pants that are somewhat too big – belts. I’ve now purchased a few. I need to find a tailor and have a few pieces altered. Tailoring is different than quilting, not sure I have the skills to do the altering myself. Did you enjoy the light in your friends apartment?

Vantreestra, sounds like you had such a nice getaway canoeing in the Boundary Waters, makes me smile just reading about it. We used to love to camp and to kayak, been years since we’ve done either. I guess we’ve gotten too soft. We used to take both dogs boating, even kayaking, with us. They both loved it. They liked the airplane too.
Old 06-06-23, 07:08 AM  
sciencelady

Good morning!

I saw a fawn yesterday at the park laying in a flat dried mud area next to a pond - I didn’t see it there when I came back about a half hour later. Today I don’t have a strength class so I might work on scraping the shed today. Depending how hot it gets I may take a walk also. Tonight I have a dinner with people from the co-op - I’m hoping they are closer to breaking ground!

Vantreesta, I’ve never been up to the Boundary Waters but I dream of getting up there some day. Cool that you saw martens! Sounds like a lovely place to visit! Cyric missed you .

Paula, it was good to see my friend’s apartment and kind of judge the space for myself. I think it would work! Her apartment is actually similar in layout to one we have in our building. The light up there was good! I might have to taylor some of my summer pants, but more likely just buy new ones. Glad you had a productive day at home despite the rain. I wish we had a good rain day - yesterday I had a shower here but each raindrop had about 5” of dryness between them - not much to even call it wet .

Waves to all!

Anita
Old 06-06-23, 07:07 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

I don't know what happened. All of a sudden days had passed since I was here. I could have sworn I checked in except for yesterday. And today totally feels like Saturday. Don't know why.

Today was a nice day. I got a significant amount of stuff done but at a nice pace. It didn't feel like a super busy day, but I got quite a bit accomplished. We kept Polly in because they are replacing the roof next door. You might guess she was NOT HAPPY!

Anita - It's nice that you had the chance to gauge your stuff against your friend's stuff in a similar unit. Yeah, I don't like dumbing writing down, but I also want people to buy my book, so I gave in.

Vantreesta - What a nice time it sounds like you had. I bet it was beautiful.

Paula - It's good you got stuff done. Maybe the sun will go out and you can get out and goof off.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-23, 08:48 PM  
Paula
VF Supporter

Good evening. Workout this morning was Pahla B Body Shaping Day 15 Push (Strength) followed by Tamilee Floor Stretch.

Today was just one of those lazy days. The only thing I accomplished was a run to Goodwill - decluttering always feels good.

Anita, Glad you thought the light in your friends apartment will be similar to yours and will work for you. Fingers crossed you get good news at that dinner tonight.

Laura, you were missed, I understand. Don’t think of it as dumbing down your writing, but making it accessible to a wider audience. The sun actually came out for a little while today – not bright and sunny but lighter and brighter than it has been, warmer too. So that was nice.