Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-16-16, 10:41 AM  
Orlita

old Piyo FAN home workouts vs. newer set?

So, even though I have had the old Piyo workouts since 2011, I have not tried them (nor can I find them at the moment in my crazy DVD piles). And yet I'm tempted by the new set.

Can anyone tell me what are the major differences -- for better or worse -- between the sets? For the old ones, I have vols. 1-8.

Thanks!
Orlita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-16, 11:33 AM  
Vantreesta

I have all the old ones but have only done a few. The Beachbody set is much more polished and Chalene cues much better than in the old Powder Blue ones. I can check back through my log if you want to see which ones I've done and any comments I may have made. It has been a while so other than the cueing, I don't remember much about them. Let me know if you would like me to look more!
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-16, 10:46 AM  
Orlita

Thank you. That's helpful to know. I should probably dig these up and see if Piyo is a good fit for me at this time. I have an almost recovered rotator cuff injury, so I do have a limit for planks & shoulder stuff.

If your log is something easy to peruse, I would love to know if you had noted an aversion to any one workout in this set due to knee/shoulder strain. (My knees weren't injured, but I'm 50+, so they can act up if I'm not careful.)

Thanks!
Orlita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-16, 04:56 PM  
lorajc

Are they different or the same? I didn't really care for the set....but I have some older ones lying around that I've never tried........so????
lorajc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-16, 06:53 PM  
Vantreesta

My notes say that 101 was all instructional and I wouldn't do again.
Lesson 1 (vol 3) 38 min-- was a basic slow flow, calm and relaxing.
Lesson 3 (vol 5) 35 min-- calm mindful practice, relaxing enough to help sleep (not led by Chalene)
Lesson 5 (vol 4) 44 min-- my favorite of the ones I've tried; nice balance flows; only complaint is cueing not always matching moves
Lesson 13 (vol 6) 59 min-- tough practice, love the flows, tough ab work; hams sore next day
Lesson 7 (vol 2) 34 min-- another great practice, more Pilates than the others have been; abs sore next day
Lesson 8 (vol 1) 42 min-- challenging practice, esp for legs, cueing really off in one spot; obliques sore next day
Lesson 9 (vol 2) 57 min-- tough, mostly moving through balances, sometimes moved too quickly, HR up some; obliques and adductors sore next day
Lesson 10 (vol 3) 45 min-- another tough sweaty practice, cueing even worse in this one

Beachbody set
Define: Lower Body 21 min-- really liked this, feels more like DDP and Jillian with more strength focus than stretch
Define: Upper Body 19 min-- liked lower body better, this was basically pushups and abs, will do the two together next time
Sweat 37 min-- sweaty though not necessarily fast, hard but I liked it and felt a lot of work in hips
Buns 28 min-- not really yoga or Pilates, mostly lunges, squats and traditional floor work in table, glutes and quads on fire (was pretty out of shape at this time); glutes, quads and hams sore next few days
Strength Intervals 22 min-- nice quick effective workout, all cardio and strength (I put it in my circuit category rather than yoga or Pilates), mostly lower body but some abs and pushups; pecs, tris, adductors, quads and shoulders sore next day (still not back in shape)
Hardcore on the Floor 34 min-- really liked this, elbows started hurting (tendinitis); abs sore next day

I'm sorry, I don't think I actually addressed your questions. Nothing noted about shoulder or knee strain, and I do have some issues with left shoulder (not to the degree you have) and knee. So I guess all I really have is the big difference in cueing! I would add too that it seems like I found the old fan volumes more relaxing, which I don't find the Beachbody set to be. Hopefully someone will find some use from my notes.
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
chalene, chalene johnson, pilates, piyo, piyo fan, yoga