Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-27-24, 04:01 PM  
sherry7899

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage VFer View Post
I have been going through my make-up drawer. Tossing expired items and replacing favorites. Organizing things.

I don't wear much make-up. I do have a thing for lipsticks though...
Lip colors are my favorite makeup! I very rarely wear eyeshadow, and I don't wear mascara either. It bugs my contact lenses.

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-24, 09:32 AM  
LiliMagill
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantreesta View Post
Lili, I've heard of people using Facebook marketplace to find new homes for things. I don't do Facebook so no idea how it works but maybe that's an option?
Vantreesta - good option, but I'm not on Facebook either. Thanks for the suggestion!

“Let us rather run the risk of wearing out than rusting out.” Teddy Roosevelt
LiliMagill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-24, 06:19 PM  
Helen

Once in a blue moon I read a post or two here, and had a thought to Lili's dilemma.

Does the USA have a thing similar to the >> Men's Shed? <<
These are community workshops, like community garden but a shared workshed where younger guys learn from the older folk, people donate tools to them. They're SO GOOD!! They've been fabulous for passing on skills and, leaning NEW skills, and mental health - physical health too as many WALK to their local shed, then stay on their feet for hours.
Helen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-24, 02:16 PM  
eventmom
VF Supporter

posted 3 items on share the wealth - taken! just need to get to the PO.

So here is my decluttering fail story.

DH came into my home office with a box "Thorne Recovery Drink Mix" chocolate so clearly it's for me. I'm like, I don't remember ordering that. He says: it has a 2017 date on the box Me: I do not remember ordering that. Him: Well my name was on the box. Me: ok but I have no idea when I ordered that. (I'm thinking what the hell is wrong with me) Him: It was delivered in 2019. Me: So it sat in the entry hall and you just opened it now? Him: Well I thought it was something else. Me: We need to do better on stuff like this.

WTH why why why did he ignore it for 5 years! OMG. It seems sort of hopeless.
eventmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-24, 02:55 PM  
Vantreesta

Last weekend I dropped off a small box with some miscellaneous things plus 13 long sleeve T-shirts at the thrift store. Also a toughie for me but donated two pairs of Merrell hiking boots and a pair of Columbia snowboots that just don't fit anymore.

I have a headache this afternoon and had planned on cleaning some but I think instead I will see of I can do smthg with the overflow of yarn in the spare room of dumping. If I focus on one aspect instead of the whole room maybe I won't get paralyzed by overwhelm!

eventmom, my jaw kinda dropped at your unopened box story! Wow!
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-24, 04:45 PM  
eventmom
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantreesta View Post
Also a toughie for me but donated two pairs of Merrell hiking boots and a pair of Columbia snowboots that just don't fit anymore.
!
Vantreesta - Good hiking and snow boots are tough to part with.

On a positive note I just gave away DDs karaoke machine! She loved it as tween (based on what we overhead we were sure she was going to end up a school principle b/c mostly we heard announcements and pep talks on how everyone needed to behave LOL). So happy to rehome it!
Old 02-19-24, 12:28 PM  
Catahoula Cate

Eventmom, your declutter fail story made me laugh. We have our own version or versions of that where all I can do is shake my head in disbelief and laugh at it a little as the best response. Cute story on the karaoke machine.

Vannie, great job on the thrift store donations. I can definitely relate to a tough time of letting go of things that don't fit. I have a pair of Lacrosse boots that are waiting on me to make a decision.

Recently, my declutter efforts are in limbo. I have a thrift box going...had an item(new in box) that we don't use that I thought would go and DH has put a hold on it. I'm trying to gather some thred up items. I've also been trying to(once again) sell MIL's china which we never use and never will. DH doesn't want to give it away and I don't blame him. It's very nice just not our style. I've had small successes but would really like to move more as I'll be getting DM's china soon as she is in assisted living now and doesn't need it. I like her pattern more and it suits us more than MIL's. So I've been putting in some effort but limited success so far.

Quit sitting!! Joints and muscles love motion!

Do The Next Thing!
Catahoula Cate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-24, 02:53 PM  
adawn
VF Supporter

Had the carpets cleaned yesterday so on Sunday I had to clear the floors of 3 bedrooms. One bedroom is the workout room with my yarn closet which also tends to accumulate non-knitting stuff.

I filled 1 regular tall garbage bag of stuff to throw out--old fabric scraps, a bit of interfacing*, a large piece of poster board that's sort of disintegrating and an old knitting bin thing that's not in good enough condition to donate.

I also found some items from The Container Store that I never used and still have the receipt for and tags on so I should be getting some store credit back for those items soon.

*Keep in mind, I don't really sew.

In other decluttering news, I finally found someone to make my t-shirt quilt that I've had on a to-do list for about a decade. It came out amazing (esp. for a t-shirt quilt). So all the t-shirts and bedsheets and some old fabric scraps I was sentimental about and saving in a linen closet were finally used up. So yes, now I have a blanket to store, but it's less volume and more useful. In fact, it came out so well, I might have to hang it rather than use it and risk a cat damaging it.

If anyone needs a t-shirt quilt made in the northwest suburbs of Chicago, I highly recommend this quilter and the quilting shop where I had to buy fabric!

Link to my t-shirt quilt photos (though I'm going to try to attach some low resolution photos to this post):

https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...23?usp=sharing
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20240301_104530 - Copy.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	4920   Click image for larger version

Name:	20240308_123048 - Copy.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	75.3 KB
ID:	4921  
adawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-24, 04:57 PM  
eventmom
VF Supporter

adawn - your tshirt quilt looks very nice!
Old 03-26-24, 08:36 PM  
fanofladyvols

Thanks for the giggle, event mom!

Adawn, a friend of mine made a quilt with her mom with all her daughter's basketball T-shirts from over the years. They pieced and arranged the top and had a quilter quilt it to the bottom. Then, they completed the binding. She has it hung on a wall and it looks great!

It is beyond precious to her now as her mom is deteriorating with Alzheimer's.

Something I worked on for a week was experimenting with different folding methods to make things in my drawers and linen closet look neater. It also carried over in different ways to hang pants and heavy sweaters. It was fun and I'm quite pleased with the results. Amazing how just folding differently could make the same number of items easier to see and fit better.

I purged a bag of books that I sold to a used store. I am working on a large bag of random items through the house which is almost full. Nothing flashy as far as purging...but I continue to plod on!

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
declutter, decluttering, downsizing, minimalism, organizing