Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 01-07-24, 10:13 AM  
sherry7899

Quote:
Originally Posted by toaster View Post
Ironically, I just tried to sign onto Tapatalk and got a 504 Gateway Error!

Okay, I was able to get in and found the privacy info:
https://www.tapatalk.com/privacy_policy

They use info like email and birthdate (if you provide it) for targeted advertising. Isn't this pretty typical of most sites?
I created an account months ago. I can log in on !y kindle, but I can't blog in on my computer.

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
Old 01-07-24, 10:30 AM  
Leonana

Quote:

They use info like email and birthdate (if you provide it) for targeted advertising. Isn't this pretty typical of most sites?
I paid $9.99 for ad free at Tapatalk. Although I suppose they would still use our emails for ads. However, I assume Home Fitness is the same. I assume that’s how these sites make money.

I like Tapatalk better because it is easier for me to find new posts. At Home Fitness, I have to scroll to the end of the thread to find the new post. Maybe there’s a way you can find them at Home Fitness, and I just don’t know about it.

I will say that at first I liked Home Fitness because it seems more similar to here. However, the more I post at Tapatalk, the more convenient it becomes. I haven’t had any issues logging in, but I use the app.
Old 01-07-24, 11:02 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Ironically, I just tried to sign onto Tapatalk and got a 504 Gateway Error! ...
Oh no!

I'll have to go over there and see how it goes...

POSTURE CHECK!
Old 01-07-24, 11:20 AM  
FirmDancer
VF Supporter

I haven't liked Tapatalk; if we migrate there, then for sure I'd pay the fee to upgrade to no ads. What I've found is that with the ads popping up, it's hard to click on a link because the page is "moving" so to speak. And everything takes awhile to load. I'm using Safari as my browser.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Current Rotations:
JSmith: STRENGTHEN
ManFlowYoga: morning sessions & Strength Foundations
YogaGlo & MFML: easy, morning classes
Old 01-07-24, 11:24 AM  
dakko

Quote:

The part that caught my eye was about them needing to know how you're using your device, even when not using Tapatalk. Of course they also have all of the tracking you stuff (which I also don't like) as you use the internet, but I have a hard time accepting that they need to know everything I'm doing on my own device. They have, I think, 3 different policies to read and I think this was in the one you linked but I'm not positive.
Old 01-07-24, 12:07 PM  
Leonana

I will be posting at Tapatalk. Obviously, everyone can make their own decision as to where they will go. I'm assuming we will be split up somewhat if this forum ends. It's sad, but I guess it happens sometimes.
Old 01-07-24, 12:17 PM  
Trixoo
VF Supporter

Just FYI, I paid the $30 for lifetime ad-free Tapatalk. Given that I pay $20/year here, I thought it was a good deal. Anyway, I haven’t seen an ad since (I agree about the jumping page…it happens on every site with ads, like Goodreads, etc.).

It may be something to put on your birthday list if you’re there and want to go ad-free. :-)
Old 01-07-24, 12:18 PM  
Camember

I'm in VF and in Tapatalk. I don't have issues with adds in VF Rooster, but I use a browser that includes an adblocker, I don't know if it is due to this.
Old 01-07-24, 12:25 PM  
FitBoop
VF Supporter

Whenever I see discussions about data privacy, I perk up. It has always been my pet peeve, and lately, I'm on the warpath in my quest to do something about the current laws or lack thereof. The US is way behind in protecting individuals’ data privacy, and most people have no idea how much confidential data is being shared by health care facilities, websites, and other places that we trust with our information. Data sharing has become big business.

First, you should not put your real birthdate, location, or other personal identifying information on any website unless it is essential (i.e. checking your credit report or your doctor’s portal). Even putting your birthdate out there with your first name and location can make you vulnerable to identity theft.

By the way, your emails are not secure. Never put sensitive data in an email, such as birthdate or social security number.

Just using your computer makes you vulnerable to targeted advertising. The internet knows your age and interests by the sites you visit. You can clean out cookies and wipe your web history and not be signed into any websites, and you’ll still get targeted ads. That said, do clean out cookies and web history regularly.

At this moment in time, it is impossible to stop data sharing. The US doesn’t have good laws, although some states have some laws that are going in the right direction. I could go on and on, because it is a serious issue that concerns me.

As for the VF alternative, I will be participating in the VF Roost at Tapatalk.

The fact that VF isn’t secure or private concerns me, so I'm careful about what personal info I share here now.
Old 01-07-24, 12:29 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camember View Post
I'm in VF and in Tapatalk. I don't have issues with adds in VF Rooster, but I use a browser that includes an adblocker, I don't know if it is due to this.
I have an ad blocker and also use Ghostery. I don't get ads on Tapatalk. Just a pop-up ad when I first log in. I use FireFox.

I was paying the $50 VF Supporter Level 3 on VF. It seemed worth it for a long time.

POSTURE CHECK!
Closed Thread

Tags
abandonware, data privacy, forum alternative, forum issues, privacy, tapatalk, vf roost, vf roost forum, vf site issues