Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-12-24, 06:36 PM  
wendug

Happy Friday!

buffmama- Congrats on finishing the NML Metcon challenge! Yay!

Yesterday I walked a client's dogs and had a weird thing happen. The bigger dog was so excited to go on his walk that he pulled my arm and my hand slammed into an interior doorknob. It hurt, and it felt like I jammed my middle finger, but I went on my way with the dogs. I slept horribly last night as my hand and finger were throbbing. When I got up my hand is slightly swollen and my finger hurts. I think I just jammed it badly as it has gotten better as the day has progressed. But, I can't really grip dumbbells with that hand. I did shovel today (2 rounds of heavy wet snow) and my grip was fine with the shovel, but I don't want to grip dumbbells until my hand and finger are better. So today's workout was GymRa- 30 Min. Butt Workout with Cardio Kickboxing. It was just okay. I wanted to give it a try because it uses a band around your ankles while doing punches. Honestly, I didn't feel my glutes much more than if I didn't have the band on. There were also some lower body moves sprinkled throughout, but the workout was fairly easy.

I hope the winter storm isn't too bad for everyone. I'm dreading the arctic air we're supposed to get in a couple days. Below zero wind chills- no thank you!
Old 01-13-24, 09:23 AM  
buffmama

Today was ankle mobility with Justina and then a "core" aka total body workout. Tomorrow with be rotational strength and Mon I expect to have a plan to move forward.
Old 01-13-24, 09:24 AM  
buffmama

Today was ankle mobility with Justina and then a "core" aka total body workout. Tomorrow with be rotational strength and Mon I expect to have a plan to move forward.

Wendy - I hope your hand is feeling better.
Old 01-13-24, 03:11 PM  
Erica H.

Internet was out this morning, but kept our power (so far!). I did an upper body push workout on my own and then did Cardio Coach on my spin bike. I haven't used Cardio Coach in a long time and it was so much harder than I remembered! I'll have to make sure I use those more often.

Wendy - hope your hand is improving. This cold is brutal and looks like it's going to stick around for a while.

Erica
Erica H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-24, 06:18 PM  
wendug

My hand and finger is better today, but I still don't want to grip heavy dumbbells yet. I did a bit of shoveling today, but not nearly as much as yesterday. Today's workout- Kat Gates- Buetner- Basic Step Aerobics #10. I had started another one of her basic workouts, but it was too complex for me so I bailed after about 5 minutes. I really need BASIC steps. I often skip the turns and dancey moves to save my knees and stick with the simple options. I got a good sweat with this workout. I added on a Julia Reppel 8 min. Hip Mobility Routine after all that stepping.

Erica- Glad you kept your power, especially with the cold temps!
Old 01-14-24, 09:44 AM  
Erica H.

Did Chris and Edi's Day 7 Lower Body Workout from Build 2.0 and liked it. I'm pretty sore from my workout yesterday. I should really always do upper body on my own. I enjoy it more and feel like I get better results because I can go at my own pace. It seems silly to invest so much time checking out and trying new workouts when I like my own better!

Wendy - I need very basic step too. CDorner has a lot of basic step workouts that look good but I haven't done any of them yet. I'm not sure I can do step with my neuropathy. We have well water so we lose water when our power is out. No toilets!

Erica
Old 01-14-24, 10:15 AM  
buffmama

Justina's Rotational Strength 2 and NML's Ankle Mobility. I liked both. I'm thinking of combining Justina's glute program (8 week, 3x week) with her pull up and push up programs (4 weeks each 4x week) by alternating the upper body work. That would make it a 7 day rotation but I would take 1-2 days 'rest' each 7 days and do her rotational strength and either cardio or a longer pilates class the other day. In between Justina's programs I want to do NML - there are 2x2 week programs and 3 advanced 30 day programs. That could quickly get me through the year! I already see a difference in my ankle mobility which makes me happy.

I'm with you two on the simple choreography for step. Tracie Long is tough sometimes for me! Wendy - Glad you're mending. Erica - DS would tell you how lucky you are to have well water. Sorry that comes with some challenges.
Old 01-14-24, 07:36 PM  
wendug

With the frigid temps I was really struggling with getting a workout in today. But I sucked it up and did Chris & Edi - Day 7- Lower Body. I wanted to give my grip strength a try even though my one finger feels like it needs to pop and I can't get it to. I started out a little lighter than usual to test it and my grip strength is fine. I was able to hold heavy dumbbells (Yay!) no problem. This workout had wall sits w/dumbbells & without, which I don't do often, and WOW- my quads were burning! I should probably do these more often!

buffmama- That's great you've noticed improvement with ankle mobility- definitely helps when squatting and lunging and with, well, everything really.

Erica- I have done CDorner's workouts before and I know she is well liked, but I just can't handle all her talking. Other instructors talk a lot, too, I just don't click with her.
Old 01-14-24, 08:03 PM  
Erica H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendug View Post
With the frigid temps I was really struggling with getting a workout in today. But I sucked it up and did Chris & Edi - Day 7- Lower Body. I wanted to give my grip strength a try even though my one finger feels like it needs to pop and I can't get it to. I started out a little lighter than usual to test it and my grip strength is fine. I was able to hold heavy dumbbells (Yay!) no problem. This workout had wall sits w/dumbbells & without, which I don't do often, and WOW- my quads were burning! I should probably do these more often!

Erica- I have done CDorner's workouts before and I know she is well liked, but I just can't handle all her talking. Other instructors talk a lot, too, I just don't click with her.
We did the same workout today! I did modify some of the moves so they weren't so quad-focused since I know I don't know enough posterior work and don't want to be even more unbalanced than I already am. I agree with you about CDorner's talking, but I would definitely try one of her basic step workouts if I wanted to do step sometime. I don't think I've ever done any of her workouts.

Erica
Old 01-15-24, 10:08 AM  
buffmama

Justina's glute + hamstring workout and hip mobility. Jasper's ankle mobility. Hopefully knowing that Justina's workouts repeat weekly will make it easier mentally. Today was 3 rounds (60s work/30s rest) of DL, squats, sumo pulses, bridges/hip thrusts, and feet elevated bridges. Finisher - swing ladder with 30s planks. Hip mobility is built into the program but not ankle mobility.